It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI recruiting again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

SETI@Home Wants You! More Volunteers Needed to Process New Data
The eight-year-old distributed computing hunt for extraterrestrial life already borrows processing power from 350,000 computers, according to Eric Korpela, an astronomer in the Space Sciences Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley and a project scientist with SETI@Home. But with the spankin new technology, the project is processing data at about one-fifth of real time. So ideally, Korpela said he'd like to see the number of volunteers increase by five times to about 1,750,000.

SETI Recruiting

Well here is another chance. Will the new technology help or hurt the SETI@Home project? Does anyone think this new telescope data will reveal any update on the search for ET's or just a big waste of time?

[edit on 1/2/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I just came across another article about this. The call is going out for assistance.

"We need your PC to find ET"

Wonder if they would release the information they find.

[edit on 3/1/08 by Rhain]

MOD EDIT: corrected spelling in link

[edit on 1/4/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I've signed up.

I used to be a member of SETI@home (under my own name) a few years ago. I ended up quitting because, to be frank, the program seemed to really slow down the computer that I had at that time.

I decided to rejoin when I saw this thread. I haven't had a chance to determine whether the new software is affecting my pc's performance adversely but, nevertheless, I am quite happy to help SETI by being a part of this effort to find extraterrestrial life in the universe.

I joined using my user-name, benevolent tyrant and I am now a part of the ATS group.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

please let me know what you think of the software. If it is not too bad, I am thinking of signing up as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
well I only installed it yesterday/early today (?) and so far so good. No real glitches. I've played a few games (that was a problem that I faced with the old software -- it interfered with games) and everything ran smoothly.

I've had a few "hang-ups" that I'm going to attribute to the new SETI software but it hasn't been anything major.

Of course, since i leave my pc on all of the time, I can always shut down SETI while I'm on line or playing games and just start it up again when I'm done doing what I'm doing. That should solve any difficulties that might pop up.

As far as I'm concerned -- and keep in mind that it is early -- the new software seems to be pretty good.....I give it
out of 5

sty

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
would they tell us? this is the question...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

please let me know what you think of the software. If it is not too bad, I am thinking of signing up as well.

in my opinion the new software is terrible and i have since removed it and have no intention of re installing it.
as much as i belive in what seti is doing they can use up someone else's bandwidth and i'll selfishly keep mine for myself..
but to each his own.......

new topics

top topics

join