It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The TV Producer Conspiracy- A true "Reality"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We are now in the second month of the WGA strike, and little to no progress has been made. The producers' offers, quite frankly, suck. Not only is this strike hurting the writers, it hurts the producers as well. The $64,000 dollar question is: Why is this strike still going on? It is now January 2, which is when TV shows usually start showing new episodes again.

There are new shows airing, though. The Moment of Truth, American Idol, American Gladiators, and The Power of 10 to name a few. See a similarity here? They're ALL reality or game shows. These shows require no writers or actors, and are cheap to make. Now, picture this senario, wich is quite possible: The Top 20 rated shows all become reality shows and game shows. These TV shows will makes tons of money as the masses watch them. The studios are now making more money than they ever have, and they don't need to spend it. " Who needs writers! We're richer without them, and America is actually watching the trash we're throwing at them!"

I think the producers are definitley trying to create this senario, and I feel it will happen. I think the strike will come to an end eventually, but if this keeps up, the writers will lose, and reality TV will dominate the airwaves for years to come.

I am planning to boycott watching any " Trash TV" over the next few months, and neither should you if you want your favs back on the air. Please don't watch any of the new shows airing over the next few months, so we don't have to watch them for quite some time

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
In my opinion, reality shows are probably just a fad and aren't primed for the long haul however I am already tired of them. Seems to me the producers will try to make as much money off them as possible until the american consumer says that's enough. Writers like other artists in this country are not valued like they should be, however, there are plenty of writers who give in to the whims of trailor trash audiences and write accordingly.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
As a filmmaker with a little success in Hollywood-
a little-
but enough to know that the Writer's Strike
is not the product of a Producer Conspiracy...
the Director, arguably, is the lesser needed specialization
(if it ain't on the page it ain't on the screen)
there is a strike because of the real issue of ancillary residuals.

And I do not think they- the Producers- want just reality shows...

Yes- they are cheaper with a wider profit margins.

But just liek competitive athletes, there are artists
that HAVE to make art- in this case, fiction film and TV.

That can, and will, be done- with or without the WGA-
eventually.

TPM

new topics

join