It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs say losing computer data should be made a crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

MPs say losing computer data should be made a crime

politics.guardian.co.uk

Recklessly or repeatedly mishandling personal information should become a criminal offence, a committee of MPs urges today in the wake of the child benefit fiasco.

A report from the justice select committee says there is evidence of a widespread problem within government and expresses concern that further cases of data loss are still coming to light, adding that concerns about systemic failings were raised two years ago by the man now in charge of the government's review of security. The committee says that companies should be obliged to report information losses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As always, this proposed law will keep the government safe from harm, as it appears to do so already..

Criminal offences under the Data Protection Act...people holding the information, such as large businesses or government departments, cannot be held responsible for breaches.

Anyone who is found to have lost or misused personal data should be held responsible, regardless of position.

Perhaps there should be something that allows the person(s) identified as being part of a section of data loss/misuse are able to charge any person(s) or body responsible for the loss/misuse.

I'm sure a few large payouts would soon bring an abrupt halt to data abuse.

Related ATS links
www.abovetopsecret.com...

politics.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Perhaps there should be something that allows the person(s) identified as being part of a section of data loss/misuse are able to charge any person(s) or body responsible for the loss/misuse.

I'm sure a few large payouts would soon bring an abrupt halt to data abuse.

I agree. I think however, that government agencies should be subject to the same laws as private companies. As far as how the law works, there should be initial charges for the loss/misuse of the data. Then if the data is used maliciously, the charged should be responsible for anything that happens as a result of the loss or misuse.

For example, Social Security Administration loses a laptop. (Likely scenario, ya think?) The finder of said laptop uses the information to wreak havoc on a private citizens life by using that information. The SSA employee should be charged for losing said laptop, and then the employee, as well as the person who recovered the laptop and used the data should be responsible for fixing the wrongs committed.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is really good news. It would be nice not to have to protect data from people but they are people. I have a concern that some of my passport data was made available through crappy code on a government web page that no one bothered to try and "white hat" test it. It sucks, and there's so much data. It seems a problem that requires legislation last century.

Mira

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The government will always try to pass laws to protect its self. Unforchanet but true. I do hope some law makers see how important it is to protect data and personal information. It will no doubt take a while but hopefully something will happen with it.

top topics

join