It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despair, or is it really too late?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yo, y'all...

I've got two questions for you, as already mentioned in the subject line.

Let me explain.
I've been hanging around here at ATS for more time than I care to count. I've read a few threads that have upset me somewhat, given me a sleepless night or two, and so on. But there is one kind of thread posts that always manages to get to me, and that is these "Doomsday" prophecies that some people post, talking about how messy the world in the future will be, how much suffering we're in for, etc. etc. An example is (memory is a bit foggy but I think that was what the poster was called) Dark Knight's prophecy about something dark and nasty coming our way, and the more recent thread "Do you realize what is coming to you?" (Which was the reason I made this post in the first place)

These threads bother me, whether they're true or not. I actually find myself, from time to time, (and I hate this, believe me) wishing that I had no loved ones, wishing I had no family, because I don't want them to have to experience the rollercoaster that we might be in for in the near future. I've already promised myself - and I live in Sweden, so I guess the threat of for example a police state is lesser here than for example in the US or UK - that if the human waste products hit the air condition, then I will grab what I can, and head north, to the more rugged parts of Sweden. That's all good and well, but it's no guarantee, and I sincerely doubt my sis, or my mom and grandmother, for example, can handle such a hike.

So, enough rambling. What I'm wondering is, do you feel the same dispair that I, from time to time is struck with, a feeling of as if all hope is lost, and we're already on an irreversible down-hill to Hades? And if you do, how do you deal with it?

And secondly, if one of these "doomsday prophecies" is true - I ask especially all you prophets around ATS, who claim to know something, but all others as well; is it too late? Are we already hammered, or can we still save our own backsides and our planet? Not that I intend to go down without a fight - and I'm going to make damn sure I bring as many of the lowlives who betrays humanity with me down when I'm going - but I don't want to have to fight for my freedom, and I most certainly don't want to have to give up one of my lives for it... Anyway, can we still change the course that our societies are taking right now? Or are we all doomed to a few hundred years of global enslavement?

Meh. It's late here in Sweden, and I can't sleep, so excuse me for possible mistakes in my post, whatever they may be. Anyways, thanks in advance, and take care, y'all.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think certain posters and the writing style and too much analyzing can cause anxious episodes and therefore cause a scare

when your numbers up, your numbers up

we are NOT immortal, you are going to die one day, we all will

enjoy life when and how you can and dont worry about what others think

love conquers all

this was brought to you by the letter Q

[edit on 2-1-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

Yeah, I guess so, and that is the way I'm trying to live my life. Still, it's not as easy as that all the time, and well, some of these prophecies I read about here at ATS seriously gives me the chills, not only because of themselves, but because I CAN see signs that we're in for a pretty crappy future...

And even though I do believe in reincarnation, I have at least ONE life left to live here on Earth, and I DON'T want to live it having to hide from evil-doing military type wannabes. And, even moreso, I don't want my loved ones to have to live such a life. Hence, I guess, the anxiety and despair.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

David_Reale we are living in the best time in our history in my opinion. Gee whiz I see 6 yer olds walking around with cell phones so they can stay in contact with their family and friends. Ten year olds carrying their lap tops around so they won't miss one second of MY-space.

I rarely see an old beat up automobile on the road. We have medicines that cure most every ailment we have. I could go on and on but I would be typing for hours.

Good news doesnt sell, cause arguments, or create many exciting discussions.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody knows the future. We think we know about the past but we have only touched the surface. However some people think they have all the answers to every circumstance.

Don't have any fear of anything we say here on ATS. It's just people putting forth theories, news stories and other articles. You have more to fear from the drivers on the highway that could cause you instant death. You could choke on a piece of meat at dinner and die. You could even fall and hit your head and die.

So be careful how you drive, chew your meat slowly and fully, and watch your step. Don't let the doomsayers bother you.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's not too late and it's not meant to scare, it's meant to warn. God gives these warnings so that we can prepare our hearts. The other thing that people fail to realize that it's not "Doom and Gloom". It's the end of something that is not working, bad and evil and the beginning of what WILL work, good and Holy.

Do live life for today - that's how we should always live life. BUT, at the same time also realize that if we were to leave this earth in the next second, how would God view the life we lived? How would He judge our hearts?

You're seeing the signs, so introspection and searching your heart is a good thing. Just keep a positive attitude about it and look forward to what awaits the faithful - and leave the rest to God.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Your in Sweden so you will do much better during the pole shift than say India, which will drop instantly. Make sure your at least 100 miles from the coast.
www.zetatalk.com

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

So, enough rambling. What I'm wondering is, do you feel the same dispair that I, from time to time is struck with, a feeling of as if all hope is lost, and we're already on an irreversible down-hill to Hades? And if you do, how do you deal with it?

I dont. I read thread after thread and it NEVER has a negative affect on me. I dont see life like many here do.

I also dont buy into the doom and gloom predictions.

My life only gets better as I get older. The worst of my life is in my past.
I do not live a perfect Utopia life, but I do not have the outlook that I see many here having.

I used to fear the future because I just didnt know what it held. But I decided to live one day at a time - realistically that is.

Enjoy the life you are living TODAY. Because you could wake up tomorrow, walk outside, get in your car and be killed to death in a car accident. See, no 2012 doom and gloom prophesy. Just every day normal events in our life.

There is no guarantee of life. There is no guarantee of knowing when your life will end.

Be happy, and enjoy life NOW!

If being here reading these threads are having a negative effect on your life - LOG OFF, take a break.

Good luck and hang in there!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

Doomsday prophecies are as old as mankind, yet we are all still here.

I think a lot of people who come up with these things are doing it for a couple of reasons.

1) Money

2) to get a reaction out of people for attention

Maybe you should skip the doom and gloom threads for a while.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Heh, yeah, I guess so.

Thank you all for your responses, it helps get rid of this doomsday fear. And I think I'll do just that, stay away from these prophecies for a while, at least. Take some tea, chill out... Enjoy life.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Hi David,

I understand exactly how you feel. I havnt been around ATS for a long while now, simply because i found myself desperatley preparing for an end of days senario!

The more i read the forum the worse i got. I was even telling people the worlds was gonna end? (Stupid)

Anyway clicked on a few weeks ago and im hooked again, so im off to re-pack me rooksack.

Be well and enjoy the lovely Country you live in. Better than this #hole - UK

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Now there's a horrible thought. God said let there be light and then spent the next '6000 years' warning us about the perils of existence? I'd like to meet this God. I've got a 'bolt' or two that's way overdue.

Doomsday? There are personal and planetary varieties. We can be cautiously smart as individuals, but holy cow are we stupid as a mass or what? We're gunning for our own demise but now is neither the time to run for the hills nor reach for the pills. It's time to realise that have made ourselves collectively responsible for the planet, but we have the choice to preserve it if we're prepared to sacrifice human ego, which really is the one true God.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I don't worry - and nor should you. I find the posts on doomsdays the least satisfying of all the posts on the boards, because they are almost always the ones backed up with the least evidence. In every other part of the site, posts are either trashed by mods or by responses if they are baseless statements or simply untrue. Only with the continual 2012 nonsense are people given the time of day for posting things without any sources, evidence or even attempts at proof.

I'm at a loss to explain why this is. If someone posts a picture of a "UFO" that is obviously forged or easily explained, that post is rightly squashed immediately. If someone states in a post "In 2012 we will all die because the Mayans say a mysterious planet will burst into the solar system and destroy all life", the post usually gets a million responses agreeing with it, none of which question the fact that the original assertion is demonstrably, proven to be complete hogswash, and many of which add more baseless nonsense to the pot.

Enthralled fan's analysis is spot on. Morbidity is a fundamental characteristic of mankind. It's easier to share a fear of death than it is to face it alone. Ergo, people make up doomsday prophecies.

The Mayan stuff irritates me particularly because it is simply not true. No Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world for 2012, many Mayan writings discuss dates after 2012, and that's even after you make the leap that Mayans could predict their way out of a wet paper bag - for which there is also no evidence whatsoever. The stories, for that is what they are, are based on the tall tales of Jose Arguelles, who has been utterly debunked, as have his theories, which are simply wrong, and can be proven so.

No one on these boards has yet offered the tiniest shred of evidence to suggest we're all going to die at any point prior to the eventual death of the sun and our solar system. I defy anyone to point me to any thread that contradicts me.

The worst of it is that doom mongering on such a nonsensical basis distracts us from the issues - conspiratorial and otherwise - that really ARE alarming, and are all too real, and surround us every day. My advice is to worry about the things that really matter, rather than the idiotic ramblings of attention-seeking wind-up merchants.

LW

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Yeah, that IS true, these prophecies do draw us from other mor important issues. Well, me at least, I've decided to ignore them from now on, and go directly for the alien threads.

The thing is, they usually don't have any evidence. Still, for some reason, many of us agree with and/or believe these doomsday prophecies. I've always thought that something will happen in 2012, due to the whole Maya calender stuff, be it the end of the world, the appearance of planet X, spiritual awakening or whatnot, but..bah, I don't know, I guess we'll find out when the time comes.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
Still, for some reason, many of us agree with and/or believe these doomsday prophecies. I've always thought that something will happen in 2012, due to the whole Maya calender stuff,

But, with respect, David - what Maya calendar stuff? What inscriptions lead you to the concern that the end of the world will come in 2012? Whose analysis of those inscriptions are you following? What evidence is there that the Mayans might be correct, even if they did predict it?

If I carve "the world will end on March 18th, 2036, just before lunch" on an tree stump - what evidence is there that my assertion is any more likely to be correct than any Mayan inscription - if such inscriptions were to exist?

The truth is there isn't any evidence at all, the Mayans do not declare the world over in 2012, they did not successfully predict anything at all, and they will not in the future.

LW

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Actually, I haven't even looked once at it myself, it's just rumors that I've taken people on their word. So I can't tell you what, really. But, meh, maybe I should take the time to look into it before I start to expect a wave of spiritual upwaking to pass over Earth in 2012.

top topics

join