It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Lawmakers to Vote on Slavery Apology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey would become the first Northern state and the fifth state overall to apologize for slavery under a measure to be considered this week by state lawmakers.

"This is not too much to ask of the state of New Jersey," said Assemblyman William Payne, who sponsors the bill. "All that is being requested of New Jersey is to say three simple words: We are sorry."

Legislators in Alabama, Maryland, North Carolina, and Virginia have issued formal apologies.

"If former Confederate states can take action like this, why can't a Northeast state like New Jersey?" asked Payne, a Democrat from Essex.

www.foxnews.com...

I wonder: do they intend to find a former slaveowner to issue the formal apology? Because otherwise, it would seem to be an empty gesture.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What a totally empty gesture and waste of time.
Their is no living person in the United States responsible for what the slaves had to endure, and no living ex-slaves to even accept this apology. It's been almost 150 years since slavery was abolished, get over it already.

Are the sins of the father being foisted on the sons in this case ???

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Are the sins of the father being foisted on the sons in this case ???

Well, from previous discussions we've had here on this topic, many blacks say that an apology is all they want. Just some kind of recognition for the injustice they suffered. For that reason, I understand NJ's gesture.

Another side of me, however, fears that this may be a prelude to further demands, such as reparations.

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
On behalf of the T. Rex, I apologize to the Stegosauruses.

NJ outlawed slavery 200 years ago. I could at least rationalize an official apology if the state had been part of the Confederacy. But this... sweet Harold get over it people.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Another side of me, however, fears that this may be a prelude to further demands, such as reparations.

Sadly, every American seems to have a lawyer on their speed dial.
It would be a generous offer if it could be given without the legal repercussions that might follow.

It's a bloody pathetic world we live in if you can't apologize without implicating yourself in a future litigation.:shk:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I wonder: do they intend to find a former slaveowner to issue the formal apology? Because otherwise, it would seem to be an empty gesture.

First of all, hey jso! How's it going?

On topic: While I could definitely understand why you feel that way (about the "empty gesture"-ness of it all), slavery wasn't simply a personal action. Each state took part. They legislated it and they taxed it. So, yes, while all of those particular slaveowners may be long-dead, the state itself is still an active entity.

As for the implications of the apology, I don't know. Every group has its factions, and those factions always have an agenda. At this decidedly low point in our nation's history, I would settle for universal health-care and affordable housing (for all), but that's just my own opinion.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Doin' OK, how bout you?

At this decidedly low point in our nation's history, I would settle for universal health-care and affordable housing (for all), but that's just my own opinion.

Add access to quality education to that, and we'd really be cooking!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What is it with all these federal apologies for slavery? Just WHAT do they hope to accomplish? Perhaps hoping that blacks will take responsibility for themselves and to request themselves that affirmative action now be repealed? Maybe to get race-baiting idiots to shut their mouths (I'm referring to Rev. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton)?
I get tired of hearing about "apologies" for something that happened ages ago. Maybe the Feds should apologize to my people for taking their land. Hell, maybe the Feds should apologize for the Muslim slave trade in Africa at the time many blacks were brought to America (being sold by Muslims and warring African tribesmen capturing opponents and selling them to slave-traders). Why the hell do white people feel they need to apologize? And how come black people never feel they need to apologize for anything? Maybe they should apologize for the increased level of inner city violence in SOME cities directly atrributed to increased black populations? Maybe Al Sharpton should apologize to those Duke students who were falsely accused of raping that black stripper?
It boils down to this. Racism is always going to be present until one group decides they don't deserve BETTER than the other group. The tit-for-tat thing has about taken its course. Its time people quit expecting a "leg-up" and then complain about the fact that they deserve more. Apologies---to hell with that. How about ceasing the PRACTICE of affirmative action? That to me would be the most generous thing one group could give to another!

[edit on 2-1-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I thought I should try to stick to one or two things, but, yeah, add it to the wish-list!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Except the ramifications from the practice are still being felt today. I'm extremely puzzled that so many people think that slavery began and ended with the Confederacy. Fact is, the north - including New Jersey - benefitted greatly from slavery, even after outlawing it. These states further gave "wink wink nudge nudge" treatment to "prisoner workers" and "sharecropping," excluded blacks from political and economic power, all due to the previous practices of slavery.

There are still families on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line who earned their fortune on the back of a slave, and forty years of enfranchisement doesn't quite make up for three hundred years of state-enforced subjugation.

An apology is frankly the least that is deserved.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by The Walking Fox]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm proud that my home state is one that has already made a formal apology. After the Civil War, former slaves were promised "forty acreas and a mule," but it didn't happen. It would be impossible to do that today, of course, but the idea of some sort of reparations doesn't seem out of order. We owe many people, including Native Americans and some Japanese Americans, at least an apology for past injustices. It isn't necessary to drown in guilt, but "those who do not remember the past will repeat it."

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
An apology might indeed be warrented if there were still living former slave owners to deliver the apology, and if there were still living former slaves to accept it...

I'm not sure what this sort of thing accomplishes...everyone with more than two brain cells rubbing together knows that enslaving another human is an evil abomination, ok? An apology is an empty gesture, IMHO. I realize many are going to disagree with that.

We've many more important issues to deal with.

You needn't issue an apology to remember the evils of the past, or to not repeat them...

[edit on 4-1-2008 by seagull]

top topics

join