It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon of God > What is my mother in for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
(Im not sure where to put this, but I hope if moved, it says on ATS, as it will get little to no attnetion elsewhere.)

Background

My mother has been battling cancer for the better part of 3 years now. I cant recall the name of the cancer, but it was an aggressive and rare uterin cancer. Initially, she had surgery that removed a sausage-like tumor (3 small tumors strung together), but opted out of chemo/radiation therapy. She decided that she would rather try alternative therapies as apparently, these specific type of cancer did not respond well to chemo. She went to Mexico for some kind of treatments, which included gershan(sp?) therapy(coffee enema's among other things, if im not mistaken) After returning, her cancer levels were down (not gone) and she was feeling better.

She continued with energy works, alternative therapies, and minimal western intervention but it came back and with gusto. She had emergency surgery whihc put stints through her back into her kidneys to allow drainage, in hopes they would regain strength. They did and she decided to go for chemo to get rid of the tumor growing in her abdomen.

Her kidneys regained function and the chemo helped shrink the tumors down to a minimal level (what we hoped was operable.) But she laid the bombshell on me sometime after christmas and before new years, that she could feel her tumors spreading again.

The Action
She has decided after some "soul seeking" to see this, Jon of God guy in brazil.

My Problems With This
She claims she has read the skeptic encounters as well as the encounters that speak highly of him. But my mother isnt looking at this critically. She believes in miracle cures and the likes (not to say I dont per se.) And Im really concerned that she is going to spend most of her savings on this trip (sometime in feb) and get nothing, in the ways of a cure/help, out of it.

I have read some of the other threads on ATS about this guy, but I am asking ATS members who are more knowledgable on this topic to give me some insight, both good and bad so I can compile it and show it to her, in effect, help her make a more informed decision.

At this stage, everyone in my family knows there is no cure for her cancer and any care offered to her is pallative. We have supported whatever decisions she has made regardless of our personal feelings about the treatment she had chosen. But with resources dwindling, I am very concerned she is goint to get suckered into something that will bare little benefit.

Thank you, to all those that take time to help a fellow ATS member out.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

So sorry to hear about your Mom.

My feeling about this is, if she thinks it will do her some good, let her go ahead.

I have heard of this guy before, but don't know at all if he has actually ever healed anyone. I do recall seeing a show at some time about a psychic surgeon who would actually use animal intestines stuck up his sleeve or hidden somewhere, to show he had extracted something from the patients. Not sure if it was him or not. It was actually some sort of slight of hand.

Anyway, so, if there is nothing else that can be done for her, let her go to soothe her own mind. If it is what she chooses to do with her life savings, then, so be it. Her money. Let her spend it as she sees fit.

Best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Thanks for your post and sympathies.

I dont think the psychic surgeon your thinking of (though im sure there is more than one that was caught for that BS) isnt Jon of God.

As for the money issue, Its more the false hope that she is buying into (literally) that bothers me. Id rather see her spend the 2k+ on a long vacation instead of on J.O.G.

Regardless of what I say, I think shes going. I just want to present her with a little more information that she would have access too.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
Regardless of what I say, I think shes going. I just want to present her with a little more information that she would have access too.

I have never heard of Jon of God before your post and I have to be honest it is not something that immediately appeals to me BUT... it doesn't reek of profiteering either, in fact if you get all that they say you get (miracles aside) it seems quite fairly priced.

I suppose it really comes down to whether you feel your Mum has come to terms with her illness and whether she can cope with another disappointment. I suspect that that is what concerns you most. Just looking at the web-site there is huge warmth that comes out of the photos (I recommend you watch the slide-show is you haven't already) and I wonder if that is what your Mum wants more than anything else. In such an environment perhaps it is possible to escape the reality of dying.

I have no idea how you or your Mum must feel I have no comparable experience, but do you think it is possible that she is simply drawn to the positive feeling and not just the hope of a 'miracle'. It cannot be easy to walk around and look into the faces of people who know as well as you do how ill you are. As a mother I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to look at my son and know that I won't be there for him anymore. I know you're grown but I don't think as parents we ever let go until we have to. Perhaps your Mum's desire to seek out miracles is her way of escaping that reality.

I know that that probably isn't much help, it does though look like a nice place to be and I can see why your Mum might be drawn there. Is it something that you could do with her? I don't mean to be presumptive just that perhaps it would put your mind at ease - as you say she will probably do it anyway. Or possibly contact Bob and Diana, see what kind of people they are.

Best wishes to you both.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hi InSpiteOf,

I suggested to you many months ago that you have your mom visit John of God and am glad to hear that she is doing so.

It comes as a pleasant surprise that she has lasted so long with such severe afflictions, even with all the upscale nutritional supplementation (that we discussed) that she is taking.

John and the mediums that work under him at his camp, are the real deal. They have a genuine Gift of Healing that many have experienced.

The 2K+ will be well spent.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I read an article in Men's Health magazine a few months ago on Jon of God. It was a pretty interesting article. This guy who had Crohn's disease or irritable bowel or something (can't remember) went down there as a last resort cure. He was very objective in his writing, and was wary in his expectations, but overall he spoke favorably of the experience. He also wrote a lot about how the whole things actually happened, and what to expect when you see him.

I am certainly not advocating going to see John of God, nor am I discouraging it. I am just trying to help provide more information, since I know of a source.

Here's a link to that article. It's kind of long, but I thought it was very interesting, no matter how you ultimately feel about John of God.
Men's Health- Matthew's Story

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your Moms condition. Hope helps us want to keep living. If she feels this trip will help by all means don't try to stop her.

My mom died. Your mom will die also. It is a natural occurrence. Please allow her to spend her last days as she wishes. You seem to love her and only want the best for her. She sure doesn't need a hassle from her child at this point in her life.

I suggest you put on a happy face and wish her well on her trip. Brazil is very this time of year.

My prayers are with you. May God give you strength.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I want to thank everyone here for taking the time to share your opinions with me.

She is currently having a bit of trouble finding a good time/flight to make her way to Brazil. Its Carnival season, so everything is double priced (air fare and hotel that is) But i think either way she will be going.

All of you are right, regardless of whether this is a cure or not, she wants to go, it will be good for her.

I think Im not going to bother presenting her with some of the negative reviews I've found on JOG, it doesnt matter. She feels this will help, thats all that matters.

Thanks everyone again for your support.

new topics

top topics

join