It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides Soared in New Orleans in 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Homicides Soared in New Orleans in 2007

ap.google.com

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The bloodiest city in the country in 2006, reeling from crime in its struggle to recover from Hurricane Katrina, got even worse in 2007.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
One thing the article fails to mention, the National Guard are still deployed in New Orleans, who still patrol in Humvees around the city. It has been Two years since Katrina. I'll say it again Two Years since Katrina, yet New Orleans is still in ruins, trashed, violent, and patrolled by the military. I personally may be headed that way in the near future as one of those doing the patrolling.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

63.5 murders per 100,000 is really sad, Mike

At the same time, NY has announced its lowest murder rate for ages...

It begs the question why NO continues to be shunned when it comes to restoring some semblance of normality pre-Katrina ?

My heart really does go out to those people affected at the time and who continue to be affected by a complete lack of action...

So very sad

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
No surprise to me at all that the murder rate was so high. I think the whole "Katrina" ordeal is just a glimpse into the future to when something really big happens. I still can't believe that the NO residents actually allowed the government to disarm them "for their own safety".

I too may be patrolling the streets there...just have to make it back from Iraq first. Either way, you take care while you are there.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PrepareForTheWorst

Good luck and you'd better take good care, PFTW...Or ima kick your ass !!!!
*j/k and runs away*

Seriously man, yes you are right its an awful thing to be sure, compounded by the taking away of those people's right to defend themselves in an obviously hostile situation...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrepareForTheWorst
No surprise to me at all that the murder rate was so high. I think the whole "Katrina" ordeal is just a glimpse into the future to when something really big happens. I still can't believe that the NO residents actually allowed the government to disarm them "for their own safety".

I too may be patrolling the streets there...just have to make it back from Iraq first. Either way, you take care while you are there.

Many of them didn't even know they were being disarmed, many of the guns confiscated were those found in people's homes who had fled the city. The military, police, and private security forces went into all of the homes under the notion of looking for survivors and bodies, which they did find as well. The government isn't returning any of the weapons unless proof of the guns serial number and purchase can be shown by the original owner.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Thanks for the good wishes! Last January I got to see the damage first-hand in NO. I could not believe that the place was still THAT tore up almost two years after the hurricane hit. The surrounding areas were starting to rebuild and were beginning to look normal again, but some places in NO looked like it had just got hit. The whole thing really is tragic.

Besides the whole weapons confiscation, there was one other thing that really bothered me. Right after the hurricane hit we were getting reports that some of the roving bands of looters were actually shooting at the rescue choppers. I really wish I had been there and seen that for myself...I would have ruined their day for sure.

Peace man!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

You are a truly class act, brother

I hear ya 100%

I sent ya a u2u, if ya choose to reply cool...If not and we keep it to forums, cool also

I imagine you got a lot to do right now

Thanks for the shout out and know I gotcha in my thoughts and prayers

Peace

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

You are absolutely right, some people didn't even know...which is even more disgusting. I have been following the whole incident very closely and there is definitely some shady things that happened. Hopefully everyone has learned a thing or two from what happened there.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Though I am quite sure there were nutcases that did so, there were also people discharging weapons that were not aimed at helicopters as a means of grabbing attention.

I guess it all depends on what you call shambles, and what areas you all are referring to. To be blunt, driving through the lower 9th now, while some parts are obviously from Katrina, a lot of it looks as it looked prior to Katrina hitting. Sad, but true. Severely blighted housing was not unknown prior to August 2005.

As far as crime goes, well, I really don't know what to say about it. We have easily one of the dumbest police chiefs we have had in quite a while, followed by a mayor that has a home in Houston now, and isn't even seen in New Orleans most of the time. As far as NOPD goes, there are a lot of good apples in the bunch, they are simply stressed out from lack of leadership in the top ranks.

The murder rate is terrible, I personally have had friends who were murdered here in 2007.
It really sucks, but until elections are held again, I don't see much in the way of change, and I see too many people even at that point that are going to be divided for the same reasons that got us into this mess in the first place. Once again, people are so worried about political affiliations and too worried about race to actually vote for a candidate that might do a good job.

One request for those coming down in the National Guard, please do me a favor and try to be a tad bit nicer than some of your comrades that are already down here. We don't need you yelling at the little old lady making keys at the hardware store that she is slow, and turning to us making nasty comments about you hate our hellhole. We also don't need you pushing us out of your way when you are in a Walgreen's shopping for stuff just like we are, because you feel that you take priority. If you're actually going to help when you're here, alienating the people you're trying to protect isn't going to put you in a positive light.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
When Katrina hit and all the news about New Orleans and how it was a city under sea level deal, I thought at that time that it shouldn't be rebuilt, levee or no levee. If it happened once it would happen again so common sense says move on.

In the aftermath I thought that this would be a prime target for the rich, with many people abandoning the area to move to other locations, they could start movin in and taking claim to the properties.

Why would they? How about the Las Vegas of the south.

This could be part of the reason that these violent crime stats have been so bad in the past couple of years, to prevent anyone from WANTING to return to the city. The slow recovery process, further demolition of housing, etc...

How long until the major makeover, save the city with gambling campaign...

Has anyone down there seen any evidence of some major players proposing something like a southern gambling mecca to save New Orleans yet?

Remember this is just a theory, one possible reason the resotration is at a snail's pace.

I hope that 2008 is much better for the citizens of Nawlins'

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

You won't have to worry about me being like that. If I see anyone else being like that I'll make sure either they apologize or get physically reminded that the people of New Orleans are American citizens, and we are here to help our fellow Americans. I personally will not be taking any crap from anyone who thinks they can bully or push around American citizens.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

One request for those coming down in the National Guard, please do me a favor and try to be a tad bit nicer than some of your comrades that are already down here. We don't need you yelling at the little old lady making keys at the hardware store that she is slow, and turning to us making nasty comments about you hate our hellhole. We also don't need you pushing us out of your way when you are in a Walgreen's shopping for stuff just like we are, because you feel that you take priority. If you're actually going to help when you're here, alienating the people you're trying to protect isn't going to put you in a positive light.

I am sorry that you have had to deal with that. I can guarantee you that if I get to serve down there that nobody under my watch will be doing anything of the like.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Well since the population of New Orleans is close to that of Christchurch where I live it worth comparing the murder rates of the two respective city's . There were appox ten murders in Christchurch last year . But that is where the comparison should end because Katrina caused a social collapse in New Orleans.

Between corruption and the lack of competent I cant see New Orleans being rebuild in social or physical sense . Should the population not return to pre Katrina levels then the city should be reduced in size to reflect this fact. Other issues aside this would make reconstruction simpler. Of course if the size of New Orleans is reduced more people will be displaced . One will run into obstacles no matter where they turn or try to do to help rebuild New Orleans.

Well that is my take on this matter.

new topics

top topics

join