It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange meteor (ite?) in Santa Barbara, 645 pm, January 1, 2008.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This is my first thread, and I don't know if it's anything, but here goes.

I work at a hotel just below Santa Barbara, right on the ocean. The channel Islands are clearly visible on the horizon on most days. Tonight, at approximately 1845, a meteor(ite?) streaked down towards the Island. ( side note, just three weeks ago I observed a WEIRD falling object over the main land. As a veteran with artillary experience, I was waiting for a HUGE impact, but NOTHING!) My coworker exclaimed outloud, and we both saw this extremely bright object streak down, and then suddenly break apart, with the last piece (seemingly) falling on the island. Normal, right? well, the weird thing is, what seemed to be a glow started emmitting from the island. We thought there was a fire, but this thing (glow?) never grew. now, the islands are a nature preserve, never seen the glow before, etc. I got off at 1905 or so, and drove north to goleta to get my brother, (big coast to coast fan) and he got some binoculars. we went nto the hills, but the light pollution prevented us from seeing anything. I called my work, and the valet still there confirmed that the light was indeed still there, and wwas getting brighter. So we drove back to montecito, and there it was. So weird thing #2, as I focused in on the island, ( this is now 2200) i allowed time for my eyes to adjust. well, my brother confirmed what I saw, which was points of light moving in and around the glow(?)!!!! You can see this now from butterfly beach, to the right of the oil derricks. so final note, then I would love some feedback, I noticed a line of black(dark) boats moving from the shore. so we drove around SB side, to get a different view, and ODD, there is a huge boat ihave never seen before, ( i work three to four night shifts a week) that has appeared with all these HUGE lights on, directly in the line of sight from sb to the island. the light pollution is ridiculous! i will bring my mbino's to work tommorrow, and repost if i see anything. Could I get some feedback, anyone know about a fallen object? thanks!

[edit on 2-1-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Is it still glowing? Can you run out and get us some photos? This sounds crazy - would love to see it!!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I have an envy (verizon) but it won't pick up the light> I REALLY wish i could, I was hoping that by posting the location someone with equipment could go do it. I f I didnt know better, the glow is (seemingly) greenish white now.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I will say this, when I noticed, throught the Bino's, the tiny moving lights, I got creeped out, told Tim it was time to leave.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Drats! Pictures would have been great. SO the light is persisting? Been this way for a few hours now? That is a well populated area - surely someone else has seen this thing... Anything on the local news? Can you give any more details about the maritime activity?

Awesome Report - Need More Info!!

[edit on 1/2/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Okay, well, number 1.... I often stare out there at night during my shifts, and I have been blessed with excellent night vision. I have never seen a light like this on any island, and never a light on that particular island. That one is a nature preserve only. as a matter of fact, I think that it is mating season for some sort of seal. If I had not watched a meteor(ite?) crash into that spot, I may not have noticed the Glow in that spot. We just had big fires up here, and the glow was similar to a 'far ridge' fire glow. Exceptions though! this is more of a greenish, white glow. Seems almost underwater! it is not as bright as you would think, but especially unnatural and a little creepy. Didn't notice the lights in the glow until i used binos, and stared for a good fifteen secs. my brother confirmed this using the same ones. I have them here if specs help. As for the maritime, there were boats headed out there within one hour, and they were 'darkened' (no lights) ships (boats really) the weird one was the LIT up ship just out by the northern beaches, where all of SB would have a view. so bright, (25 miles closer than the island to us) that I couldn't even see the deck hands or any markings on the hull. This boat didn't show up till my second timne at the beach. I will take pics with my Envy tommorrow morning on the way to work. Maybe no fog. will also watch for glow tommorrow night.
Has anyone seen anything? Wake up Summerland, Montecito! who has a telescope?
P.S. Talked to doorman 5 times while in GOleta, he saw this thing the whole time, and first noticed a light or two in the glow. I confirmed this, again , after just 15 sec or so through bino's. very unnerving.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
You get to see all sorts of odd objects in the sky in Ventura county. On December 23 at around 9:35pm (I remember the time because I was on my way to buy last minute xmas gifts before the mall closed), I noticed an extremely bright star that I had never seen before while I was going down the 118. I felt it was way too bright to be a star, but since it stayed in the same spot for several minutes I assumed it was a star. Once I got off the freeway I kept looking at the bright object. Suddenly the light turned off and right where the light was coming from you could now see a line of blinking lights! I have no idea what that was. I thought about taking pics, but all I had was my iPhone.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have seen those lights. those are actually planes coming north, you can just see them for a long time before they get here. hence, they seem stationary.
I took my Bino's to work today, saw nothing unusual, although there were a dozen or so coworkers who also saw the 'glow' last night. Oh well, unless anyone see's or hears anything new, consider this just another 'weird' incident....
If you are interested, I will be posting a challenge today on this site. I guess you could say I'm going to put my money where my mouth is! Just follow my profile! Thanks for the replies, Jason
P.S. So as not to seem paranoid, I did seek out info on that boat with the lights. seems they were just octopus hunters, just never have i been to that side of the beach. This does not ccount for the 'darkened' boats that i saw, just the LIT up one.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Hi Jason,
Do you think that you can go over to the site tonight and do a little recon? You know, take some pics, video of the site and all...That would be really awesome. If something crashed, there has to still be some type of hole or evidence left...Let me know...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hey Wrangall, Unfortunately, I don't have the boat, or video camera neccasary. That was sorta why I posted in the first place, hoping someone down here would verify. I don't know how to link to maps or anything, but today i stood right where i was last night, and focused on the same spot, (i remember clearly, as i used some trees as a reference when pointing it out last night) It seems that there is a cross section where two islands overlap, with the right side island(from my pov) tucked behind the overlap of the left, and closer island. Make sense? so what ever it was was on the far side of the closer isle, in the water between the two, or on the hidden part of the right(farther away) island. Wish I could go! but apparently, now that the seals are mating (again, don't know how to post as link to the channel island website) there are alot of great whites out there. lol, don't know if i would go short of a wrecked ufo! I will go tonight and check out to see if the glow is there, and if so, in a week to make sure it wasn't always there, although i know the answer to that one already. thanks, J

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Crud....I wish you were able to get to the site...who cares about Great White Sharks, their bite isn't that bad
...HAHA! Lol just kidding
...I wouldn't want to be near them either..yikes. If I was in a big boat, yeah I wouldn't mind, but forget a skiff in those conditions. I am having flashbacks from the Jaws movie...

Well, if you get over there tonight by some miracle, post as soon as you get some photos.
I added you as a friend so U2U me as well if you find anything...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Okay! It's night here, and the 'Glow" is gone! At least I don't feel crazy about last ight. I wih someone here had seen it last night! And there was no smoke or anything at 8 this morning! Crazy!

top topics

join