It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So whats Google on about here??(Img)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This struck me as odd - this is a screen shot from google UK 03/12/08 early am...

Now there are definite letters there under the logo in the coloured dots?

The obvious ones are S Y M? S Y W i M ahh something like that

Just seems odd - they got the cable running through the theme too.

Any ideas?

Is this some advanced colour blindness test and I just failed?? for the record that third one is more like a W
:w:

[edit on 1/1/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The cord, combined with the o's in Google say "2008."

Took me a minute to see it myself.

See? The "2" is wrapped around the "G." Then there are the 2 "o"s, and then the last giant bit of the wire is a big ol' fancy 8. Still is weird looking, though. Not their best work.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
i do see some letters in the papers on the ground but not all of the ones you see

this is what i can see

S Y W S Y N A C K A C K

this is very similar to looking at clouds though

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ok then (the 2008 bit slipped me by!!! wood for the tree etc)

But I'm not mad, letters, and I doubt they mean nothing - 2008 for google gotta be important, they are huge.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I do see what you're talking about with the confetti. I definitely see some letters, but I have no idea what they might spell.

I am sleepy. And itchy. Stupid wool sweater.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
S Y W S Y N A C K A C K

Close. I believe it is SYN SYN/ACK ACK. If you look carefully, you can see the "/" character, which is important for proper interpretation in this case. The W you saw was actually N.

01 January 1983 is the date on which TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) was established as an ARPANET standard (the birthday of the internet as we know it, in a manner of speaking), so it fits perfectly. When the new year rolled around, we marked 25 years of the two protocols that most allow for things like Google, ATS, and the internet in general to exist.

This is all some Google geek's idea for a subtle TCP joke. Without getting too technical... Each packet that is transmitted via TCP has a header. Each header has certain flags containing information about the packet. SYN (synchronize) and ACK (acknowledgement) are flags. SYN followed by SYN/ACK followed by ACK is more commonly known as the "three-way handshake" (or the "TCP handshake") and you can think of it as the process by which a connection is established between two computers.

It works like this:

1. The client computer sends a SYN to the server.
  2. The server replies with a SYN/ACK.
  3. The client replies in turn with an ACK.

Voila. Connected.

/tn.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and typically when Google does these image alterations, you can simply mouse over the image and get a tooltip describing the subject, or click the image to automatically be transferred to search results about the subject.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by teleonaut]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by teleonaut

This is all some Google geek's idea for a subtle TCP joke. Without getting too technical... Each packet that is transmitted via TCP has a header. Each header has certain flags containing information about the packet. SYN (synchronize) and ACK (acknowledgement) are flags. SYN followed by SYN/ACK followed by ACK is more commonly known as the "three-way handshake" (or the "TCP handshake") and you can think of it as the process by which a connection is established between two computers.

It works like this:

1. The client computer sends a SYN to the server.
  2. The server replies with a SYN/ACK.
  3. The client replies in turn with an ACK.

Voila. Connected.

Nice one matey - that's a bit more geek than I can handle at my current stage of geeklightenment, but one day...

Kinda sweet really, that dude probably owes a lot to a simple protocal (works for Google hence has a big house good life yadda yadda) mind you - in my minds eye I can still see a Death star being constructed past the far side of the moon with Google emblazoned in technicolour across it

new topics

top topics

join