It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Cash,Checks,Debit or Credit, what do you use?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Doing the holliday shopping this year I realize that not that many people uses cash anymore, is like those VISA commercial is the norm now.

Me personally use debit card all the time, I dont like to have cash or loose change in my pockets, but that has some drawbacks, I find myself giving less and less to people on the streets, like you will have the girls scout or boy scout selling stuff and I dont have spare change to contribute, I hate that.

I have never written a check in my life and Im 30, dont use credit cards no more.

Also when was the last time you went to a bank? Since i started getting paid by direct deposit I havent been in a bank, thats almost 4 years ago. I even open my account online, not even for that I need it to go to the bank.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Bunch]




posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I usually always pay with everything in cash. if the price is high i will write a check or use a debit card but most of the time its cash



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch
 


Your drawbacks are my bonuses. I don't like to carry cash -- my city is pretty rough, especially the cheap gas station by my house. I prefer to use my debit card whenever possible.

I use credit cards only for emergency things like car repairs.



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Credit Cards for business expenses so I have a record for the taxman.

Checks for personal stuff, also a record for the IRS

Cash for gas, beers, coffee, snacks, tips etc.

I also barter with my dentist and shrink.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by whaaa]



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I use debit almost exclusively but I always have a small bit of cash on me, because a lot of stores won't let you use debit if it's less than $5. I use my credit cards for recurring bills (pay it off every month), so I can accumulate Canadian Tire Money which, in Canada, is very close to being legal tender.


Emergencies go on a line of credit.



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm young so having credit is a bit weird. I got a card in September. I can use the card Mom and Dad got for me, but I don't really like to becuse it's from my account. Most of my friends don't have cards so it's not something I do much. For gas though it's perfect.

My Dad and big brother like cash. Mom, Me and Olga not so much. I like what cash can "do" in the right situation. Mom and I really don't like the banks, any of them, customer service sucks universally. Prices change when a fat cash stack is detected... so does what is and is not for sale. Dad likes the immediacy of cash, I like the "special" treatment that cash receives and the future relationships that come out of "deals".

Mira



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
I have never written a check in my life and Im 30, dont use credit cards no more.


That's rather remarkable.

I use debit 80% of the time and cash for the other 20%. Still though I do write checks once in a great while if the circumstances are right, but I will admit my checkbook will likely take several years to run out.



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I use all the above. It's too far in between towns out here to carry cash.
People have been robbed on these long stretch of lonely highways. One of the tricks the robbers have used is.... putting a huge box in the center of the road. When you stop to get it out of the way they rob you at gun point. Or the bad guy will make like his car has broken down and needs help. I call 911 and the Highway Patrol first . If it's quite obvious the person is in need of Emergency Medical Assistance. I will assist in anyway I can.

I never write a check at the grocery store... get too many dirty looks. :bash: That's where the debit card comes in handy. I will use a credit card for emergencies.



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069
 


I know!.... Is just that I never had the need, I never had a bank account until I was 24, all my other jobs prior to that I was getting paid by check and I would cash it out and that was it, then when I join the military I had to open a direct deposit account and ever since then I been using debit card. So no need for checks, I have used a couple of money orders here and there thats about it.



posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Cash for now, silver and gunpowder later.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join