It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Makes New Push to Find 1971 Skyjacker D.B Cooper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

FBI Makes New Push to Find 1971 Skyjacker D.B Cooper

www.abovetopsecret.com

The FBI is making a new stab at identifying mysterious skyjacker Dan Cooper, who bailed out of an airliner in 1971 and vanished, releasing new details that it hopes will jog someone's memory.

The man calling himself Dan Cooper, also known as D.B. Cooper, boarded a Northwest flight in Portland for a flight to Seattle on the night of Nov, 24, 1971, and commandeered the plane, claiming he had dynamite.

In Seattle, he demanded and got $200,000 and four parachutes and demanded to be flown
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
Apparently they have some DNA froma tie he left on the plane. This was the first of the skyjackers and has always held an interest for me. it was one fo the first mysteries I ever became excited with. It was featured on "In Search of" that was hosted and narrated by Leonard Nimoy aka Spock. It will be interesting to see if anything becomes fo this

www.abovetopsecret.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Cooper also had a cult following in some circles. I remember seeing T-shirts about him at the time. I think it was an admiration for the originality of his plan, and the daring of bailing out. as much as a counter culture statement. The fact that he was never found added an air of mystery and a secret hope that he got away, to spend the rest of his life running a bar in Key West.

I personally think he died in the wilderness area where he jumped, his bones scattered by predators and the money"Blowing In The Wind" until time and climate destroyed it.

It's too late now, one way or the other, for it to matter much. I wish they wouldn't go there really. Sometimes there needs to be a mystery or two left to go into legend. It adds something to the human experience.

SR

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I hope he is still alive somewhere laughing away personally. Although your theory NGC could well be true as vultures have been known to stip a body down to the bone in 3minutes. Who knows

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I personally think he survived.
I don't know where he went or anything else. But I also think we may never know what happened to him. Perhaps after his death some writings of his might be reliced and claim responsibility or something. But I mostly think he will remain an American mystery.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Why are they trying to find him after almost 40 years? I mean, hey, why don't they focus on the Great Train Robbery of the early 1900's (or thereabouts) or Marilyn Monroe's death/possible murder? What, we don't have enough murder mysteries to be solved, that we have to go after old cases? Strange.
They never found him or his money, hope he's having fun somewhere.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I too wish his story to remain a cautionary yet inspiring tale. As counter culture heroes go, he wasn't too bad. No one was harmed, and as far as we know, he never went on to repeat his crime and become a plague. He was a one shot wonder that got away.

And how many of us can identify with the concept? $200,000.00 in '71 would buy a lot. Most humans would be tempted to do it "just once" for that kind of payoff.

I can't see the US government making a real case for IDing him unless they try to use DNA to find relatives, and work from there on a then "missing persons" angel. Very hard to prove.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Fred T you have the Breaking News submission form as your original source .

Authorities inadvertently supplied Cooper with a "dummy" reserve chute — an unusable parachute that is sewn shut for classroom demonstration. The dummy chute was not left behind on the plane, and some assume Cooper did not realize it was not functional.

source
possible suspect

Because of the weather, the FBI couldn't begin a land search until the next morning. Even so, an exhaustive month-long search by ground and air failed to turn up a body, a parachute, or even a homburg. A copycat jump by a stunt artist and a deadfall by a 200-pound sled attached to a parachute failed to land near any evidence that Cooper had been there.

Nine years later, the flight captain casually mentioned that they had been searching the wrong area.

link

IMO given the amount of time that has passed since Cooper feat and the fact that some of the suspects are no longer living it is unlikely that DB Cooper real ID will be discovered unless they turn up his body in a relatively timely manner.

It is strange that it never filtered thou that the FBI was searching the wrong area but given that Florence Schaffner has said that the FBI drawing of Cooper was inaccurate they seem to have been looking in the wrong direction to begin with.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I personally hope Cooper is living his remaining years in comfort and laughing at the FBI.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

A chute that was "inadvertently' defective? Yeah, sure.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

"Yes Director, we got a chute."

(pause)

"No Sir, he won't get away using it, It's a dummy chute."

(pause)

"Yes Sir. I agree that we can't be having crooks steal money we're busy stealing and living to tell about it."

(pause)

"Thank you for the promotion , Sir."

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
NGC2736 the notion is plausible if not provable . It is worth noting that no one saw Cooper jump from the 727 which leads to the possibility that he hid somewhere on board . Of course Cooper would needed to have known the aircraft well and a hiding place where he could still breath . Then he would have needed away to escape from the plane once it had landed .

Here is the page of a 727 it doesn't say what areas are pressurized.

IMO even if he did jump it reasonable to assume he didn't land where the FBI would later search because other then what the pilot said why would he have jumped over an area that was forested ?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I couldn't get the link to work, but even so, I doubt that he hid out. That would have been pretty hard to do with people watching him. Not to mention, that plane must have been search nine ways from Sunday when it landed.

The only other possibility is that there never was a D.B.Cooper. He was a passenger that the flight crew made up as a hijacker. Then when the money came, they flew off and dumped it to a waiting confederate before landing.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Shame about the dummy chute.....too bad they didn't have a GPS chip to slip in it, they might have recovered their money.

There was a mention on the news that he would be about 80 years old now.....maybe they are planning to cross reference his DNA with residents in nursing homes??

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

I can see a SWAT team busting into the some nursing home and tasering all the old men there.

And then it turns out they have the wrong address.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I couldn't get the link to work,

Sorry here is the page

but even so, I doubt that he hid out. That would have been pretty hard to do with people watching him.

Assuming it was possible to hide on the plane without to much trouble Cooper would have hid easily. As you say the difficultly would have been evading any searches . If he did hide on the plane Cooper would most likely had some kind of assistance in getting away.

Would there have been any section of the plane that wasn't searched on the ground ?

The only other possibility is that there never was a D.B.Cooper. He was a passenger that the flight crew made up as a hijacker. Then when the money came, they flew off and dumped it to a waiting confederate before landing.

That is also possible it would have been very difficult for the conspirators to keep there story straight under questioning little alone all these years. Also it is worth noting that the FBI has taken a DNA sample from Cooper tie. So if your theory is correct the conspirators must be pretty nervous by now.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Please, I don't have theories on this. I have wild assed guesses about possible scenarios.

Unlike some people on ATS, in a lot of forums, I know the difference. A theory needs some supporting evidence, while a wild assed guess can be a stray thought caused by too much beer and bad pizza. These were the bad pizza kind.

Besides, I like D.B. as a ghost of hopes long dashed, which is what he is now. He doesn't need to be found. We all find him if we look hard enough into ourselves.

new topics

top topics

join