It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet of The Arabs - video compilation of Hollywood Bigotry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A video I found that does a very good job documenting the 'picture' that Hollywood paints of Muslims and Arabic peoples. Take note that in Hollywood, 'Muslim' and 'Arab' are synonymous. This however is not the case, with more Muslims living in either Indonesia or India than all Arab countries combined. I highly recommend watching this video, but it does include gratuitous simulated violence and profanity. If you get offended by this video, hopefully it is because of the stereotypes you have been force fed by the media.
DocMoreau

www.youtube.com...

[can a mod fix this link, and maybe send me a U2U on how to get this work right?]

[edit on 1/2/08 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is so anti Western to think we think like this, I mean that video is years of Hollywood humour and yet brought out of context.

I don't see the problem because obviously this complemation is home made or something. What are people trying to say the west is anti Arab? Islam is based on the Arab bloodline through Abraham to Ishmael, where Judasim is made through Issac instead. Islam is Arab in everything that is the basis.

Hollywood has made many humourous jokes about all races and religions and anything Arabic is just in the same mix. What do we say now that we should eleminate everything Arab even if they never mention Islam in the context of the story because they are related? In back to the future they say ''Libyans'' but they never mention Islam or Arab, but if the trend of violence from certain countries spill into scripts then it's the mind of the author who makes a contempory judgement to suite the time of film, and use it to laugh at the notion of fears at the time.

So what happens now? Do people make a connection and say Hollywood is racist rather than realist and freedoms expressed? Should we now all ban videos that offend? Is this another Political Correctness gone mad statement?

[edit on 1-1-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

I don't think you really understand what I am saying. When you take all these single instances of bigotry, and compile them together it makes you feel nauseous.

When Chuck Norris is calling someone a Camel Jockey in the context of some action film, it is compelling dialogue. But on a psychological level, cool Chuck Norris is embedding racist impressions into your mind. At the time, you hate his enemies as your own, because we identify with protagonists in stories.

So like it or not, you and I have been subconsciously programmed by these images, that you say 'have been taken out of context'. And I say exactly! Once you take these images out of the context of films, cartoons, and television, you actually see how bigoted our entertainment media's portrayal of Arabs and Muslims is.

Now in response to your attempts of straw man rebuttal:
I never said 'we think like this', so it is not "Anti-Western" to make a video compilation like this (which I found online, did not make myself). Yes, it is years of Hollywood, thats the point, years and years of portrayals. Show me a compilation of the years and years of positive Hollywood portrayals of Arabs and Muslims. There are none.

You don't see a problem, because this compilation is homemade or something? Meaning that because it doesn't come from Hollywood, it is less than valid? That doesn't make any sense. And then you say something about Arab bloodlines, and say that because Islam originates there, that Islam is Arab is everything that is its basis. So are you calling the Indonesians, Indians, Afghans, Pakistanis and Iranians arabs? I think that they would take great offense to that.

I also think it is funny that you throw in the Abraham to Ishmael vs. Isaac part. Abraham is the father, so it all comes from him through two brothers. Arabs are Jews, Jews are Arabs. Christians are Jews who think something has happened. Allah is God, God is Allah. We are all 'brothers'. This is usually too radical for the "Blue Eyed Jesus" crowd.

I never said that anything should be 'banned' or 'eliminated'. Hollywood, or Homemade, anyone has the freedom to make whatever they want. You yourself have the right to make as many bigoted references to as many religious groups as you so choose. You can draw as many cartoons of the Muslim Prophet as you want for all I am concerned.

All I am illustrating is that for tens of years, our media has included bigoted portrayal after portrayal of Arabs and Muslims. It is no wonder to me that a majority of Americans allowed themselves to be lied to to go to war in Iraq, and are being lied to about Osama to keep us in Afghanistan. My opinion is that Hollywood has taken billions of dollars to fund their products from Jewish Money. It is the best interest to placate the Jewish Money by including these stereotypes, so better help when it comes time to steal Arab lands and oil.

Perhaps that better illustrates my position, and intent in presenting this video.
DocMoreau

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just like to point out that the Zionist agenda as many Muslims point out is equivelant to the Arabian agenda and that all focuses towards Isreal.

It's one cuson that supports Isacc vs another cuson who supports Ishmael. So the fundimentals are really from Abraham's covenant with God that speperates the support. This is where Islam and Judaism splits and that was only revealed because Muhammad said so because before that, not many sources supported that.

I do believe being a Muslim is as pro-Arab bloodline as Jesus the Jew is for Christians for supporting a Jewish bloodline or Issac. Otherwise there would not be a seperation of faith in the first place.

But what about the India Jones movies too? Do you not see many references of how Arabs are portrayed in the same light? To me it has never effected me, as I never really been to those countries and the Arab or Muslims I met were born in England and the ones I met are very British in nature.

All movies hype out a personality and sometimes they try and make two sides of the story. One being a negative stereotype of Arabs, but you get that with Italians, Black people and Hispanics in movies anyway.

Two being that the white man is always the bad guy for putting down another race out of the characters' peronality trait that has been woven into is also negative but is read as personality. The movies sometimes try and convey how people react to each other, sometimes it's true and sometimes I think maybe Americans are as portrayed in the media as over the top.

But then again I have not known many Americans either so can not judge my self as a whole and I am not silly enough and hope many are not that they think the Movies can actually make you racist about people. I think real life does that for you and people are not hypnotised through movies about Arabs. I hear more people say that Italians are like they are in the movies than other races of people. English actors get to play baddies in movies but I don't think Americans think we are as a people, and the movies will always show an extream view of the world because that is what makes them interesting. The Russians have exactly the same thing going on in the movies like Rocky 4 as a mild example. But it has not made me in anyway anti-Russian to the people although I am not a communist fan.

How ever America is effected by international relationships in movies is their point of view and it does not effect people across Europe as people know that the movies are from another countries point of view and many people like my self are Nutreul about it.

I don't see a big connection in how the movies see things only what the News says and general experiences. I don't think people are that hypnotised and since 9/11 Islam been brought to the forefront.
Many years of Hollywood have portrayed Arabs are they have been to make stories and during those many years there has been all too many forgeooton terror attacks. Many people did not know how people in those countries have the harsh laws that they have as that has become again put into the Human rights spot light.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

They did not include the skits done, by SNL, they talk about all the faults this country has, and how easy is to get weapons into the airports, this before terrorist attacks began???

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

Well Time Lord, I am not sure I will be able to get you to see the point. I am not sure if you just aren't seeing what I am saying, or acting as a Zionist Gatekeeper of sorts, trying to defuse this leak. So I will try again.

Separately these little incidents from movies and films mean almost nothing. They are little bigoted jokes or gags, or sometimes even support whole plot devices but are secondary to the 'action'. One by one they get embedded into the psyche of the masses. Libyans trying to steal Plutonium, or Ali Baba trying to kill and pillage. Then when it comes time to actually go to 'war' with people from the Middle East, the propagandists can readily bring those embedded memories of "Evil Terroristic Muslim Towel Heads" or whatever one 'humorous' derogatory stereotype you yourself condone and can can name. The term "Sand Nigger" really only means anything to those who would already have knowledge of what "Nigger" means from their past experiences with bigoted stereotypes.

To respond to the bales of Straw you have been building a house out of. It doesn't really matter who the Jews begat from. Or the Arabs. No where did I mention bloodline vs bloodline, or the the religious turmoils. This thread is in the Deconstructing Disinformation forum, not the 'clouding arguments in religious dogmas and traditions that occurred at least 800 years before you or I existed' forum. If you still want to keep debating bloodlines and dogma, while refusing to recognize what is going on right now in present day thats fine by me, I just won't be a party to it. Keep throwing straw in the wind...

I also welcome you to provide any of your examples of bigoted stereotypes from media all compiled together. Maybe you could find a version where Chuck Norris is calling every Jewish person "Greedy Kikes" spliced with cartoons of Penny Pinching Crab Bankers wearing Yarmulkes. Somehow I doubt you will find it because what Jewish Movie Mogul in his right mind wants to reinforce those type of stereotypes.

I never said that these stereotypes make you racist, but they do make you more willing to accept racist behavior by others.

In fact, it even makes some people defend it without even knowing they are.
DocMoreau

PS... You said that you haven't met many Americans, may I ask, where are you from?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
From Wikipedia:

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People is a 2001 book by Jack Shaheen where he surveyed more than 900 film appearances of Arab characters. Of those, only a dozen were positive and 50 were balanced. Shaheen writes "Seen through Hollywood's distorted lenses, Arabs look different and threatening."
en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a preview for "Reel Bad Arabs" the documentary:

www.youtube.com...

From the Washington Post.

In his tireless quest for evidence -- any evidence-- of Arab stereotyping, Shaheen has viewed (and reviewed in his books) thousands of movies and TV shows. What he has found, the 71-year-old academic says, are the most maligned people on the silver screen. It is a diss that dates back to the earliest days of cinema and continues today with popular television shows such as "Sleeper Cell" and "24," which Shaheen calls the worst of smears, "because it portrays American Arabs as the enemy within, like, 'Look at the terrorist -- hey, he's my next-door neighbor!' "
www.washingtonpost.com...

Well at the very least, I feel that at least I am not one of the only ones who noticed how Muslims have been treated in entertainment medias.
DocMoreau

[dang! I can't get these videos to work right... until after I can't edit my old post. double dang!]

[edit on 1/1/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
If I had the time and the know how I would make a video of all the movies that depicted terrorists as white people. such as arlington road, and sleeper cell, but I dont.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
And for the record tons of normal citizens of the civilized world despise Arabs and other Islamics as the bigoted close-minded foisters of medievalism they are. Way too few of them have ever accepted the collective guilt they bear.

Do we circumcise women? No.
Do we fly planes into buildings? No.

and the list could go on and on.

And I agree 100% about Arlington Road Syndrome. White Man = EVIL in the crazed PC world that threatens to destroy our civilization forever.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

this is a survey of 900 films in which over 800 depict arab people in a bigoted way. now take 900 random films with white people in them and show me how many of them contain bigoted stereotypes instead of showing them as valiant heroes...

reply to post by DogHead

short sighted and bigoted
you're stereotyping over 1 BILLION individuals here
i could bring up several incidents of christians acting horribly and then blanket all christians with those acts, but i won't, because that's called STEREOTYPING.

the list could go on and on and on and on with the evils of christianity as long as the list for the evils of islam
pretty much the same goes for any religion (with the perennial exception of buddhism)

and arlington road syndrome is something thought up by the same people who came up with the "crazed PC world" problem
political correctness is good (up to a reasonable point)
you don't stereotype, it's ignorant to do so. not stereotyping is being politically correct and logical at the same type.

i just have one question for you, doghead. who's the best group at mass murder and genocide, arabs or white people?
i'll give you a hint:
who wiped out native americans, perpetuated the holocaust, and carried out stalin's purges?

no group is perfect, the point is not to assign blame on one individual for the acts of another individual who just happens to share a language, skin pigmentation, gender, or other superficial factor with them.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Thanks for denying stupidity, racism on a massive scale and mis information on a scale it is far from funny on this thread, Doc...

I believe your words on this thread say anything I could want to say....At least without getting myself banned

Nice job

Peace

P.S -- MadnessInMySoul, kudos to you as well...For presenting a sensible, well thought out POV as the OP....Stars and many thanks to you both, if only WATS was still around

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Rilence]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
On the contrary... I think that Hollywood is either afraid or ideologically unwilling to portray Muslims and/or Arabs in a negative light. Our nation and our allies are faced with an unprecedented threat from Islamic extremists, but you wouldn't know it by going to the movie theater. Whether or not this is a result of fear of reprisals, political correctness or just an ideology that doesn't recognize the existence of such a threat, I cannot say.

Why is it that when I watch a movie that has terrorism or terrorists as part of its plot, they are rarely ever Muslim? Muslims are by far and overwhelmingly responsible for the majority of terrorist attacks and groups today. Yet, in most movies terrorists are usually Eastern European, Russian or Asian. It's 2008, yet I'm more likely to see a terrorist-themed movie involving the IRA than I am the PFLP!

Isn't there something wrong here? Shouldn't Hollywood be a reflection of reality in most cases? Shouldn't movies that involve national security reflect on the threat from Islamic terrorists, rather than the threat from the now-defunct Soviet Union??

That's just my opinion. And I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of flack for it on this site. And while I will readily admit that there are some movies out there that feature Islamic terrorists (of course all of them MUST feature a "good" Muslim at the same time), they are few and far between. Before you ever see a movie that accurately portrays the terrorist threat in Iraq, you'll see 10 movies that make US soldiers out to be butchers, rapists and murderers. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, or maybe I'm just plain wrong. But I'm sick of it. And I think the slumping numbers at the box office and the negative reaction to movies that portray US soldiers in a negative light only backs up everything I've said in this post.

So, assuming that what I say is remotely accurate, what does everyone suppose the cause is? Is it fear of offending Muslims both at home and abroad? Is it just the "liberal media" not willing to admit that Islamic terrorism is a legitimate threat? Or could it be that these kinds of films simply are not profitable? Or is it something else entirely?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Forget it.

Deleted by ME!

[edit on 2/1/08 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Could the reason Hollywood makes such portrayal have anything to do with the number of terrorist attacks that have been committed by radical islamists? Now that we don't have the Soviet Union as the bad guy, they had to look around at who'd been the most recent threat to the west.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Who cares? ITS HOLLYWOOD!

Where was the outcry from the German populace back when all those WW2 movies were getting made? The Vietnamese during the 80's?

Sorry, but the "bad guy" in the "real world" is an arab so yeah. They'll be the villain in movies.

Don't like it, don't watch it. Boo bloody hoo.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This shouldn't really be at all surprising. The media industry caters to the attitudes of its audience. There really is no substantial evidence to believe that this is all part of some grand scheme the government devised to help with the "war on terror".

This is simply a time honored tradition. Hollywood portrays arabs in this way because it is profitable just like it was profitable to show the Soviet Union as evil during the cold war.

I'm sure you can focus on any relgion and/or nationality taken out of context and you can find enough film to make it look like these things are done on purpose.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm sorry but that video was just dumb and can easily be made using any race. I see shows all the time that make fun of white people and I laugh because I know that it is just a joke. I have more things to worry about then some stupid show making jokes. It is like others have said, the video is used out of context and some of the clips in there are somewhat true.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've seen it for years. I'm glad someone fianally made a video with a few examples to showcase.

Sadly, racism exsist thoughout humanity. It's not limited to the United States and also not limited to regional, or spiritual division.

We cannot deny and hide these examples of racism, but we, as a nation, shouldn't be so quick to glorify and portray these blatent and obvious scenes of racism.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DogHead

no, we don't fly planes into other nation's buildings.

we walk into schools, mall and churches to murder 12-20 people.
we park moving trucks filled with fertilizer outside of government buildings and blow them up.
we cowardly send bomb (that could be compared with IEDs) through the mail to kill un-suspecting recipients.

nope. we don't need to fly planes into other nation's buildings because we're doing a much more creative job of attacking our own people right here at home.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Ummmm, Doc Moreau, where is the part with the Muslims????? I don't see any?

I do however see many Islamic extremists depicted in these films. Are you saying that Muslims and Islamic extremists are one in the same? I'm thinking that the majority of Muslims may find that offensive?

One other thing if I may ask a favor? Could someone please list the names of the 9/11 hijackers who were from African countries, I can't seem to find them?

Thanks -K

top topics

<<   2 >>

join