It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absinthe is now legal in the United States

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here's a good interview, with T.A. Breaux, on Discovery's "Modern Marvels". Breaux produces some of the finest Absinthes in the world at the Combier distillery, and is the one responsible for producing Lucid.

P.S. Lucid was launched in the U.S. back in June. So this is kinda "old news".

[edit on 1/1/08 by redmage]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yes, like the man in the video said, true absinthe isn't green. It may have a slight greenish tinge, but not bright green. In the old days, inferior absinthe was colored bright green by adding copper sulfate, but that is what harmed people, crummy absinthe.
There is an art to making it; unfortunately, to be made with enough thujone, you'd have to find an old recilpe and make it yourself, as thujone content above 20 kg per 100 is illegal and you need to have about 50 kg or so to have an effect.
My husband researched all this 30 years ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Rhain
IActually Absinthe became legal again in the States in the 70's but no distiller produced it in great numbers. [/url]

Actually it just became legal

I am lucky enough to have an allotment of the first batch (they sold out before the release) and will be giving it a try next week and let you guys know

Yes YES!!! Please do...U2U me if you don't post on this thread etc etc... I'd love to hear some fist hand experiences...

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Search up Coca Alchahol it has atleast 20 grams of coca leave in it not mg either isnt it wonderful? Joke

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I heard this second hand, but I remember it being that it was illegal to import or brew absinthe, but legal to own it, kinda like, well you got it here... might as well keep it.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've drank it, in pure undiluted straight from the bottle form, with no sugar or mixers. It's strong liquor, but not hallucinogenic, that's hype. The one thing I will say is that it takes about 20 mins to hit the system, and after that you are *drunk*.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

A general rule of thumb is: If it's legal here in the U.S., it's probably not worth drinking.

That sentence makes me very sad. I haven't heard anything about absinthe being legal in the US until now. I am not expecting to see it on the shelves any time soon.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Absinthe in its powdered form has always been legal in the US.

It was the prepared alcohol for human consumption that was illegal.

I use organic absinthe powder as an herbal dewormer for my dog every six weeks in mosquito season; instead of "traditional" vet visits and their chemical treatments. A three finger pinch of powder over some yummy left-overs. I also powder coat 50% of my dog food with black walnut hull powder; it keeps fleas and ticks at bay. When we're out in the deep woods with my bird dog and the ticks are bad, I use rose geranium oil on his paws and legs (and my trail boots). Don't use absinthe or black walnut for puppies or pregnant bitches. For intestinal worms in puppies we use diatomacious earth powder.

Healthy dog... no chemicals, no bugs, no vet bills.

www.herbalremedies.com...

Wormwood ( Artemisia absinthium ) C/S Powder - 4 oz. Bulk

Wormwood is above all a stomach medicine, being useful for indigestion, gastric pain and lack of appetite, as well as the related problems of heartburn and flatulence. Also said to be helpful for liver and gallbladder secretions. Wormwood oil is a cardiac stimulant and therefore acts when taken in proper doses, to improve blood circulation. Wormwood tea has been recommended to help relieve pain during labor. Powdered flowering tops have been used to expel intestinal worms. A fomentation of wormwood tea can be applied externally to irritations, sprains, or bruises. The oil acts as a local anesthetic to relieve pains of rheumatism, neuralgia, and arthritis.

shamanistically yours,

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Absinth is legal here in canada.. ive got some lying around somewhere. However the amount of wormwood in it is so small you dont get any hallucinating effects off it. I guess its just a token amount so the can put it on the label.

Besides, the stuff tastes horrible and it feels like your insides are being disolved when you swig it hehe.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Absinthe is also said to be an aprodesiac, at least in classical thought. Hemmingway mentioned it in "Hills Like White Elephants." It must've been good back then...had to have been more potent than oysters.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Absinthe is legal in Australia, infact I don't know of a time that it hasn't been legal. I bought my mate a bottle of it for his 20th and he loved it, but the stuff sold here has nothing in it to make you hallucinate, apparently that stuff is saved for Europe (god i love europe).

I've only seen 2 types being sold though and the only difference in them that i noticed was how strong they were, one was $60 for 60% and the other was $70 for 70%.

If they start selling it in bars over there ask for a Green Fairy shot, they're really tasty.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Heres what I know about Absinthe, though some of the info may be questionable.

Absinthe tastes a bit like Jaegermeister and was outlawed due to it's outselling wine in many European countries during the 19th century. It is consumed in a ritualistic manner using special glasses and slotted spoons. The spoon is placed on the glass and a sugar cube is placed on the spoon. A small portion of Absinthe is poured over the sugar cube which is then ignited. A bit more Absinthe is poured over the cube which ignites the whole glass, water is then added to quench the fire usually in a 1:1 ratio. The sugar cube tends to make the Absinthe slightly cloudy.

There are two main types of Absinthe, Verte, or green, and Blanch or white. Real Absinthe only has a slightly green tint while other varieties such as Absinth (no "e") or Absente are colored a brighter green. Absinth is referred to as Bohemian Absinthe and does not contain much of the oils associated with real Absinthe. Absente has always been legal here in the US and is classified as a Liqueur although it's marketed as true Absinthe.

Absinthe has an astonishingly high alcohol content although it's most famous active ingredient is the Wormwood. Wormwood contains a chemical known as Thujone which has been equated to THC, the active ingredient in Marijuana.

Absinthe has often been associated with hallucinogenic properties however I believe much of that was related to the incredibly high alcohol content, small amounts of Wormwood and the old practice of applying a drop or two of Laudanum to the sugar cube.

Laudanum is a tincture of Opium and is both dangerous and highly addictive, this practice can explain a lot of the stories of hallucinations and the negative press Absinthe has received in the past.

This qoute from Wikipedia should help prove my theory on the use of Laudanum in Absinthe:

Thujone, the supposed active chemical in absinthe, is a GABA antagonist and while it can produce muscle spasms in large doses, there is no evidence it causes hallucinations.

A good example of the use of Absinthe in film is in the movie "From Hell" starring Johnny Depp. There is a very in depth scene of him preparing and consuming Absinthe in which he also applies the Laudanum.

My friend actually has a bottle of what he claims to be Absinthe that he's been meaning to share with me although I don't know if it's true Absinthe or if it is Absinth or Absente. If you like it then by all means drink it now that it's legal, if you're just looking for a wild trip then there are far more effective means which I suppose I can't discuss here

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Shadowflux]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
I heard this second hand, but I remember it being that it was illegal to import or brew absinthe, but legal to own it...

This is a correct statement.

My wife and I have bought our Absinthe from eabsinthe.com for quite some time:

www.eabsinthe.com...

Marilyn Manson has a brand called "Mansinthe" that is pretty good.

The La Fee's are stellar also.

Actually, burning the Absinthe soaked sugar cube is a Czech tradition. The French and Swiss never did that.

If you are a 1st time Absinthe drinker, I'd recommend NOT using sugar. People back in the day had a much sweeter tooth that modern days. Absinthe is sickly sweet enough without sugar.

Try two shots of Absinthe and one glass of red wine. Good combo. Hemmingway used to blend Absinthe with Champagne.

Will Absinthe make you go mad? Well, Absinthe is what Van Gogh was stoked on when He cut his ear off.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I believe that the wormwood has been absent from Absinthe in Europe since 1908 or so . It was removed because of its hallucinogenic qualitites . Thats probably why its legal again .

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yep, Absinthe is definitely the most hated substance in U.S.

www.mrbrooks.info...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrbenn
I believe that the wormwood has been absent from Absinthe in Europe since 1908 or so . It was removed because of its hallucinogenic qualitites . Thats probably why its legal again .

Not entirely true. Most modern Absinthe’s do have some form of wormwood in them.

Originally, Absinthe started out as white wine. Grand wormwood and other plants were steeped in the wine. That mess was then distilled.

Modern Absinthe rarely starts out with white wine. It usually starts out with some form of liquor. Sometimes, cheaper Absinthe is infused with wormwood extract. Most modern Absinthe uses petite wormwood or a blend of petite and grand wormwood though. Petite wormwood gives the wormwood flavor but does not give as much Thujone that grand wormwood gives.

As noted above, the level of Thujone in modern Absinthe is so low that its purported hallucinogenic effects will not be felt.

Lucid is the only Absinthe that is legally being made in America at this time. That’s because it’s has no Thujone in it. There are other brands that can be sold in America for the same reason.

Someone said that Absinthe is never green, unless it is colored. That is not entirely correct either. That’s usually true in modern Absinthe. But, back in the day that was not always the case. Sometimes Absinthe makers steeped wormwood and other plants in their Absinthe after the distillation process, and that’s where the green color came from. I’ve drunken one modern Absinthe that got its green color from a second steeping process. It wasn’t filtered and you could see the little bits of plant matter in the Absinthe.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

I am glad to see at least one knowledgable post about this subject. I came on ready to rant about it even being called absinthe, lol. Though I do have a couple things to add...
I have seen less than a handful, but there are a couple places, like the Czech Republic, that still make moderate-level thujone absinthe you can order from online.
Also, I believe that one of the reasons it was considered harmful was not just that in high levels can it be fatal, but that in long-term consumption, thujone acts negatively on the human nervous system. (Hence the mystique and rumor of it causing insanity.)
PS- I'd really like that recipe too!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thought I'd chime in and say that Lucid has hit MN. I was at the liquor store just a few moments ago and saw that they were now selling it.

I must say though, as curious as I am to try absinthe, at $65 bucks a bottle it had better make me hallucinate
. I think I'll stick to jagermeister for now, that's more in my budget and does the job just the same. Maybe sometime for a special occasion.

Thanks for all the info on this thread, I always wondered what all the fuss was about.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Its been known to cause severe brain damage . They legalize this but not the obvious safe(er) stuff . What crap.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
interesting I came across this thread because I was just wondering around google the other day & came across this great website about absinthe.... check it out ...... absinthe

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join