It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absinthe is now legal in the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Absinthe is now legal in the United States

www.liveleak.com

Absinthe (also absinth, absynthe, absenta)is a distilled, highly alcoholic (usually 45 to 93 percent) anise-flavored spirit derived from herbs including the flowers and leaves of the medicinal plant Artemisia absinthium, also called Grand Wormwood or Absinth Wormwood. Absinthe is typically green (either naturally or with added color) or clear and is often referred to as la Fée Verte ('The Green Fairy'). Although it is sometimes mistakenly called a liqueur, absinthe is not bottled with added sugar and is therefore classified as a liquor or spirit. Absinthe is uncommon among spirits in that it is bottled at a high proof but consumed diluted with water to the strength of wine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I've never tried the stuff, but have been told by those who have that it produces mildly hallucinogenic effects or a bit more than your typical "drunk" high.

www.liveleak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
You can find an absinthe brand, called Lucid, in some liquor stores. Check this website to see if your state sells it yet (if you live in the USA). Or you can order some online.

Drink Lucid

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I never understood why it was illegal in the first place. I always wanted to try it, but I don't drink anymore... so, oh well.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It seems that the double amount of alcohol than your tipical vodka or whiskey and the THC like compount called Thujone that comes from the wormwood is what gives Absinthe its kick.

The normal way to drink it is with cold water and a diluted sugar cube. Where it got its bad name was drinking it by dipping the sugar cube in it then igniting the cube to have it just caramelize while also heating the 75% proof liquor. Then you down the full strength liquor until you go into a mad rage at some point.

Using cold water to dilute it to 15% or so will give you a slight clear headed high that majority of the great artist back in the time when it was popular used for inspiration.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Xtrozero]

apc

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Awesome!!

Keep your glass in the freezer. That's all I have to say.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Sure , why not drink your drugs. Bunch of hypocrite policy creators.
Alcohol causes more deaths and violence compared to all other drugs together.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hm, looks like another interesting step for a population control.

Thanks for the news.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The problem here is that modern legal requirements state that it can only have a small amount of thujone. Before prohibition, it wasn't uncommon to have 70 mg per 100 thujone in the absinthe. Since then, it's gone down to about 15 mg.
The ad for Lucid says it was a myth that the old recipes contained higher amounts than 15 mg, but that is not true. My husband spent many years researching absinthe and the old recipes for making it. He is probably one of the few people on the planet that know how to to make true absinthe according to the old way. It has a potent kick when it has high enough levels of thujone. Anything less than about 25 mg or so, wouldn't produce very much of the effect that is unique to absinthe. It's not like drinking regular alcohol, it is much more than that and it does encourage creativity in an individual.
I'm not sure what the allowable amount of thujone is here in the U.S. but if it's in accordance with the EU, it's only about 15 or so mg per 100 kg; not enough to really get much of the effect of the thujone, in fact it is hardly noticed in that small of an amount.
A general rule of thumb is: If it's legal here in the U.S., it's probably not worth drinking. There is no place in the world where it is legal to have enough thujone in absinthe to really get much of an effect. AFAIK, 20 - 25 mg is the highest content allowed anywhere.
Only artemisia absinthum produces enough thujone to be effective and it needs to be developed correctly - you can't just stick a sprig of wormwood in vodka and have it be absinthe, there won't be any thujone effect. But many people don't know this and do it anyway - it ends up tasting like bitter, bitter herbs and is barely palatable.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
P.S. - There is nothing dangerous about absinthe, at least not any more than regular alcohol. The myth that it was dangerous was perpetrated by the govt because if you imbibe a vast amount of thujone, it could kill you, but you'd have to have WAY more than the 70 mg per 100 kg for it to be dangerous and nobody makes it that strong.

SR

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with it if you drink it like any other drink responsibly i buy a bottle of 100% Black Absinthe once a year and it's great also yeah theres hardly any of that wormwood rot stuff in it anymore because of the way it's made modernly so don't buy into the old wives tales of you'll go blind with more than three shots or have '___' like hallocinations cause it just doesn't happen. Maybe in the olden days it did but not with the stuff around these days.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Contrary to conventional wisdom, my understanding is that alcohol (in itself) does not kill brain cells - unless you become dehydrated or don't eat.

However, my understanding is that absinthe is the only type of alcohol that does kill brain cells. Does anyone know for sure?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I didn't even know it was illegal! Myself and my friends enjoy a good bit of absinth every now and then. It's produced some seriously heavy nights.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'e drank Absinthe on several occasions. When you drink it neat (not advised but worth the experiment lol) you can't help but inhale the vapour before you swallow it and it is VERY potent. It tastes like crap though and doesn't do anything more than make you drunk quickly. Not a favourite of mine to be honest.

On a side note, it works well as barbecue lighter fluid.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by abovetech
Sure , why not drink your drugs. Bunch of hypocrite policy creators.
Alcohol causes more deaths and violence compared to all other drugs together.

God I hate comments like this...

You comment is true, but why? It is true because about 50% of Americans drink Alcohol, and so your statement is only true because to the vast numbers involved.

Answer me if...

150 million were using Herion

or 150 millon were using crank, crack, or meth

or 150 million were using pot

or 150 million were using multiables of above drugs

Would the negitive outcome be less than we see with 150 million drinking?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I stopped using alcohol many years ago, and I take medications now that would cause me to become ill if I drank, so my days are over as far as drinking goes. buit in my day, I enjoyed regular drinking, not excessive, of mainly rum, 151 proof with some key lime twists and a spash of ginger ale, was all I needed for a nice warm buzz.

But I know people who enjoy tasting liquers and various things like that, and thats OK. In Holand, where I love to go for the cofeeshops, they have these ' genevers ', gin stills, right in the bars and they produce their own gins. Many people drink only various gin's ,and are quite well versed in their differences. As long as people are moderate and never drive after drinking anything, no problem.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

If 150 million were using Pot then it wouldn't cause any increase in associated deaths as there are none in the first place. You cannot OD on weed, nor does it make you violent or likely to cause harm to others.

Some might paint a picture of people robbing or killing whilst on weed, for example, but those people are nearly always high on drink and other drugs too, plus they would more than likely commit the robbery anyway, being the people they are.

The other drugs would probably destroy society though. Just like alcohol is doing today. On a recent UK parliamentary report, Alcohol was in the top 5 harmful drugs, whereas weed was something like 28th, below legal prescription drugs. They rated harm on it's impact on individual health and society at large.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I enjoyed some Absente over the holidays with a sugar cube braced over the glass as we combined a little water to the brew. It tastes like Zambucca and German schnapps combined.

Actually Absinthe became legal again in the States in the 70's but no distiller produced it in great numbers. Source

edited in source

[edit on 1/1/08 by Rhain]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
P.S. - There is nothing dangerous about absinthe, at least not any more than regular alcohol. The myth that it was dangerous was perpetrated by the govt because if you imbibe a vast amount of thujone, it could kill you, but you'd have to have WAY more than the 70 mg per 100 kg for it to be dangerous and nobody makes it that strong.

I'm sure it was also outlawed for the same reason as marijuana. Psychoactive substances have a tendency to 'switch on' people's consciousness, pushing them in new directions and leading them out of control mechanisms that society and the government depend on.

It's well known that intellectuals gravitate towards 'drugs' while others accept alcohol as the only legitimate 'buzz'. Combining the two is probably a great way to confuse/piss off government regulation.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
IActually Absinthe became legal again in the States in the 70's but no distiller produced it in great numbers. [/url]

Actually it just became legal

Last week, St. George Spirits of Alameda received the news that, after seven applications, the federal agency had approved its label, the final obstacle before going to market. On Monday, the small artisan distillery sold its token first bottle, becoming the only American company since 1912 to sell absinthe in the United States. Then the staff took a moment to celebrate. www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL&hw=absinthe&sn=001&sc=1000

I am lucky enough to have an allotment of the first batch (they sold out before the release) and will be giving it a try next week and let you guys know

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join