It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2008

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Spacedoubt, so you're in Reno as well; I guess you felt the 3.5 we just had about 20 minutes ago? This constant shaking is getting old. It seems the earth is moving every few minutes for weeks now.

I'm up off Robb Drive not far from the epicenter of these quakes. I lived in California for a long time and got pretty good at estimating quake strength, but these are throwing me off... seeming stronger. It must be because I'm about 3 miles away from the epicenter.

We bought earthquake insurance today; I'll sleep somewhat better knowing that.

I have two dogs. The old one is nervous and the young Siberian either stays outside or under the dining room table or follows me every step I take

I hope your cat comes home.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I'm up in the North Valleys.

Another last night
This was a 4.7, one of the biggest in the series.
Lot's of things rattling in the house. Although nothing fell, or broke.
This is an odd series of quakes.

New is reporting that many of these are audible. That the ground is behaving like a speaker, because of the direction of the vibrations.

I didn't hear any of these, but about a dozen years ago, when I lived in south Reno, I did hear one. It sounded like it was coming right up the valley. I turned to see what the sound was, then, the whole house shook with a short, sharp jolt.

Still no cat

ap.google.com...

[edit on 26-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

What a night! To be honest, I was stunned when they said it was a 4.7. At the time, I would've bet it was over 6.0. After a preliminary 3.5, there was one huge sideways jolt that made it difficult to walk as we were heading to the back door.

I thought I'd become a pretty seasoned earthquake experiencer having lived in California for so many years-- but living right on top of the fault in question makes these quakes feel so much more violent. Lots of things fell off shelves, broken glass on the floors, a cracked window over the front door, two cracks in the patio out back and a few in the foundation. And I haven't really done a thorough check around the house yet.

At least in California, we'd have a quake and there might be a few mild aftershocks and it was over. This is different because there are tremors every couple minutes. I can feel the 1.0's. And this has been going on since February. We just had a 3.0. When will this end?

Did your cat come home yet?

[edit on 4/26/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Something is shaking. Everything is. There are US warships in the gulf, there are food shortages going on, this world is more of a powder keg than ever before in existence. At least Rush can pray for riots in DENVER. But seriously, everything that is happening right now is building up to something. One more HAARP project or something. One more freakout. Unless youre Dick Cheney, then youre happy, so its a matter of perspective. Most of us will die. TERROR PLANET is a great film, if you are an [name removed for copy-write protection] such as I. The point is, dominoes.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This is a recent list of earthquakes that include the smaller magnitudes. Nevada sure has been a rocking:
NEIC

Nevada Seismological Laboratory Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Could a big earthquake like they have in California happen in Reno?
A: Yes, but not as often. Reno had a nearby magnitude 6.4 earthquake in 1914, and we believe we had a magnitude 6.7 earthquake very nearby in 1869. The potential exists for earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or a little larger in the Reno area. (Earthquakes in Reno-Carson City map)

My cat ran away during the Loma Prieta. After it struck it took a couple of hours for her to come on back home. I can't recall how she was acting before the quake though.

There are pro's and con's about whether or not animals do act strangely before an earthquake. Here's an article from National Geographic: Can Animals Sense Earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Magnitude 5.1 TONGA
Friday, April 25, 2008 at 18:22:57 UTC
Depth 291.2 km (181.0 miles)

Magnitude 5.0 WESTERN KAZAKHSTAN
Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 13:14:51 UTC
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)

I decided to post mainly because I wanted to relay to spacedoubt that I hope you find/found your cat. Certainly always one of the worst feelings to have one of them MIA

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I was just reading about Reno and the quake activity there. It appears scientists and seismologists are taking this activity quite seriously with the concern being the increase in magnitude as time goes on.

news.aol.com...

I hope everyone in the area remains safe and please continue to check in with us to let us know what's happening. Has anyone in that area taped down bookshelves and other sensitive areas as they are recommending?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have the same feeling-- that this isn't over yet. It seems to me if the 4.7 last night relieved any pressure, it wouldn't be shaking every two to five minutes since 11:45 last night. When you get right down to it, your guess is as good as any seismologist's, it seems.

Most of us up here haven't slept much for two nights and I know a few who will be sleeping in tents tonight just to get some sleep. I may be one of them. I did spend most of the day securing things around the house and getting a little emergency kit together.

I have friends up in the Somerset area of the foothills, directly over the fault, and they tell me there's a huge crack in the ground near their home. Some homes were moved a few inches off their foundations up there. No one around here seems to believe that quake was just a 4.7.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Seismologists said the recent activity is unusual because the quakes started out small and continue to build in strength. The normal pattern is for a main quake followed by smaller aftershocks.

That's interesting the way the quake built in strength.

Trust me I am no expert in any thing seismology related... Never experienced a quake in my life! (but oddly really look forward to the possibility of a moderate quake).

But a quake followed by smaller aftershocks seems typical of a release of built up forces... The opposite makes me think forces are building up? no?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Trust me I am no expert in any thing seismology related... Never experienced a quake in my life.

Where do you live? I want to move there.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
wow, that list of earthquakes is incredible. There is sometimes just a few minutes in between earthquakes. Wow. My prayers and thoughts of safety to those living in the quake areas. I hope you all can hang on...

Tela

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thanks for your concern about my cat.
He hasn't returned. We've knocked on doors, and put out flyers. Checked the shelter.. Nothing.

My dogs are still hyperactive. Barking at everything. Even airplanes flying over. Which is kind of humorous.

kattraxx, Could you get a picture of the rupture in the ground?

I think that having Peavine Mountain between you and I may provide a barrier for some of the waves. I'm only feeling the ones in the high 3's and in the 4's.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx

Trust me I am no expert in any thing seismology related... Never experienced a quake in my life.

Where do you live? I want to move there.

The UK... our 'quakes' are a little bit embarrassing
compared to the rest of the worlds! If I actually ever have unwittingly experienced a small quake, I can tell you for certain that I (or anyone else I know) did not even bat an eyelid

Oh yhea... stay safe all those living on the edge

[edit on 26/4/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Thanks for your concern about my cat.
He hasn't returned. We've knoved on doors, and put out flyers. Checked the shelter.. Nothing. My dogs are still hyperactive. Barking at everything. Even airplanes flying over. Which is kind of humorous.
kattraxx, Could you get a picture of the rupture in the ground?

Your cat is probably somewhere safe and not far from home; just doesn't want to be in a house. Neither of my dogs want to come inside... I don't mind saying, I'm stressed out. And not liking this at all. The worst is just waiting and never knowing if or when it'll hit. And worst of all is when they hit while you're sleeping.

When things settle down, I'll get a photo of that crack in Somerset. I believe they mentioned it on the 5 o'clock news tonight.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

The UK... our 'quakes' are a little bit embarrassing
compared to the rest of the worlds! If I actually ever have unwittingly experienced a small quake, I can tell you for certain that I (or anyone else I know) did not even bat an eyelid

You must be in Cornwall or somewhere then, the rest of the UK has felt them as far as I know, for example the Dudley one, the recent one, the Kent one (yes, they finally got on the map with something other than Brands Hatch, and immigrants), and a few in Scotland.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Thats got to be scary. If your dogs haul butt somewhere you better follow them.
If I lived out there I would be going on vacation somewhere safe with Bush in the White House. We all know how he and FEMA handle disasters.

Stay safe.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

It probably went up a tree or on top of the house. They run for high ground when scared.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

He's pretty old..Not much of a climber anymore. But I went out early and called for him, he usually answers. Not a peep.

Kattraxx,

How did you sleep last night?
25 more small quakes..Mostly below 2.0

They are saying that the window of opportunity to buy quake insurance is closing. And that a Mag 6.0 would not be a surprise.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join