It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2008

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Yes, it was in Fort Wayne, In. They are rare here.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

They've downgraded it to a 5.2.

Personally, I'm quite a bit Northeast of the epicenter, and I actually felt it!

It was pretty strange, not something we're used to here in the Midwest. Nothing serious in my home. It just swayed my bed a little bit, and the TV stand creaked. It basically felt like a very close lightning bolt strike without the noise of the thunder.

[edit on 4/18/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This is awesome. I guess I am a bit of an earthquake junkie after having been through quite a few in two different areas 3000K apart. They just posted the 2008 Earthquake Map within the last few days. Pretty severe risk on the New Madrid.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I felt it as well, I live in downtown Indy and one of my cats woke me up hiding behind my bed howling. I was just starting to cuss it out and my whole apartment started shaking. At first I thought it was a low flying jet coming into the airport but it lasted way too long... Definitely pretty wild.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
shook my bed and freaked out my dog and fiance.

I was reading with the Madrid fault there are 4000 quakes a year, at least one can be felt once a year.
Every 300 years or so a huge one hits, like back in 1812.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lardo5150

**Sorry about my lost photos guys -- won't happen again**

I just read that and thank you for posting it
And awesome to see all the first hand reports here
While I'm here, this is a small one but it's location is very odd in comparison...

Magnitude 2.7 ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 13:20:29 UTC
2.6 km (1.6 miles)

Technically it's another one in the U.S.
It is, of course, the small red one...

And sorry about prior pics guys
I test deleted one for like a day from photobucket and it 'held' on my ATS post, so I dumped the rest. Now I know
Mad at my own dumb self (it was some good work).

... and an update to an earlier contribution from heliosprime,
the map now shows 330 quakes

[edit on 4/18/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
Technically it's another one in the U.S.
It is, of course, the small red one...

Wow, looks like the small one is actually four aftershocks!

Working on a screencap now, it'll be up in a sec...

Edit:

Notice it says "5 earthquakes on this map".

Four are easily visible, with one hiding behind the other small boxes.

Edit#2:

Alright, I must have just missed the update on that last one (roughly hourly updates?).

Now they're showing another small quake just to the NE of the primary action.

Edit#3:

Oooook; so it's not hourly updates, and there's a brand new one that's a looks to be over a mag. 4!

Edit#4

This is getting downright puzzling.

It appears that the "mag. 4" has shifted to the east, and they've added another! (notice the current count of 8)

Edit#5

Preliminary data says it's a 4.5.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
this havaria information service - alert map - shows there to be several earthquakes happening now that run, it appears, on latitude line or thereabouts. it take a minute to load but show other global biological, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions. visz.rsoe.hu...

[edit on 18-4-2008 by musselwhite]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Now they've moved it again, and killed the data link that I posted before.

Here's the new map; it's back down to 7 quakes, but they're now posting that the new one is a 4.6.

Here's the 4.6 data, but that link may die too if things change.

Here's the map link, although the map keeps shifting the link should stay workable. It's been fine while refreshing the page (even though things keep changing).

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Awesome job redmage

And there was another 5.0+ here...
Magnitude 5.1 SOUTH OF AFRICA
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 15:31:55 UTC
10 km (6.2 miles)

And another as I seek a pic (not reviewed)...
Magnitude 4.6 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 19:31:49 UTC
14.1 km (8.8 miles)

And, mussel... great map!! (linked above)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Magnitude 3.5 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 00:13:53 UTC
28.4 km (17.6 miles)

I only post that one, as it was there in the last hour. There was also one pretty close to there 6-8 hours earlier. And then there is this one...

Magnitude 4.2 REVILLA GIGEDO ISLANDS REGION
Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 00:53:34 UTC
10 km (6.2 miles)

Maybe sneaking up on you Cali... check that persons April 17th thread.

And that's 333 quakes on the board, Half of the 666 pop. figure floating around

And this one popped up "not yet reviewed"... just a warm up CA, hang on!!
Magnitude 2.6 NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 01:53:13 UTC
3.2 km (2.0 miles)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I need some sleep... someone take over
I missed these two larger ones earlier. It's weird... after the rash of small ones off Oregon, Cali and in Alaska... now there is this outbreak of ones ranging from 4.6-6.4 now

3>Magnitude 6.4 FIJI REGION
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 20:39:09 UTC
574.9 km (357.2 miles0

4>Magnitude 5.4 KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 21:11:01 UTC
35 km (21.7 miles)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
They just keep coming...

1>Magnitude 5.1 FIJI REGION
Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 02:50:27 UTC
35 km (21.7 miles)

2>Magnitude 6.0 KEPULAUAN BARAT DAYA, INDONESIA
Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 03:12:25 UTC
11.7 km (7.3 miles)(poorly constrained)

I haven't seen a comment really on it yet... is this a normal - or - unusual pattern of this string/stretch of larger mid-size quakes?

From Friday, April 18, 2008 at 05:58:37 UTC
to Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 03:12:25 UTC
is roughly 21.5 hours. there have been 10 quakes 4.5 - 6.4, the 4.5 an after shock to the 5.2 in IL. All others appear to be separate events. There were also the 3 smaller ones listed above in the same time frame, along the longitude from Alaska to Cali to Mexico

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Magnitude 6.4 - LOYALTY ISLANDS
2008 April 19 05:58:45 UTC
Depth 35km

Hey, what happened to my thread, it never used to be like this, this is the first chance I've had to get one in in a week.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I never keep busy all night at work, apex... I need to do something to stay awake!!
And then it seems I spend my time here thru the day and at least keep checking in.

And musselwhite noted a 'map' link in a prior post, Havaria Information Service - AlertMap

There seems to be a "swarm" of 3.X quakes around Geece/Turkey... unless that's just G-dub setting off a bunch of nukes over there

And there was a 4.5 off the coast of El Salvador about 1/2 hour prior to your biggish one above (just to kick in while I'm here).

All yours now, apex!

[edit on 4/19/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Magnitude 6.0 - KEPULAUAN BARAT DAYA, INDONESIA
2008 April 19 10:21:13 UTC
Depth 10km

Oh, and I really don't like that map, not saying it's bad or anything, but I feel it exaggerates some things like small eruptions get the same coverage as big ones, etc.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by apex]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is a tad disturbing if you are watching the mid-west region:

Scientists Weigh In - Sort Of

Scientists say they know far too little about Midwestern seismic zones like the one that rumbled to life under southern Illinois Friday morning, but some of what they do know is unnerving.

The fault zones beneath the Mississippi River Valley have produced some of the largest modern U.S. quakes east of the Rockies, a region covered with old buildings not built to withstand seismic activity.

"We cannot even borrow on the knowledge they learn on the West Coast" because quakes that happen in California - where tectonic plates beneath the Earth's surface collide - are so different from Midwestern quakes that happen far away from the edges of the nearest plates.

It isn't entirely clear, for instance, whether the Wabash faults are related to the New Madrid faults or not.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Re: GRANTS PASS, Ore

This is an oddity, but, over the past year Grants Pass, OR has been mentioned in the news several times for different reasons. It cause me to wonder whether there is testing of some sort and or an alien craft harboring there.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
maybe the whole country will split in half and we will all fall in a big hole in the ground?

Hilda

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Ok, the total quake count has been over 330 for two days now. There have been (8) 6+ quakes since thursday. When looking at the geometry of the pacific. All the activity for months has been significant in the south(west) section of the pacfic ring....(indonesia) area. The area runs from Japan to the tip of australia in a concave arc that appears to be concentrating "stress" across the pacific into southern california. This stress appears to flow into the US on a line from san diego to yellowstone and then from yellowstone to seattle. Look at the US map, it become obvious. Now picture all that stress in a "wedge" (san diego to yellowstone to seattle) with yellowstone being the focus point.

Parallel to the line from san diego to yellowstone is the entire new madrid fault that begins in Ohio and extends down to mexico city. (yes it has many other names along the way other than new Madrid).

The point is the wedge focusing on yellwstone appear to be cracking the longer new madrid fault open again............

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join