It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie ships 'can't go to war'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Aussie ships 'can't go to war'

www.news.com.au

THE navy's front-line fighting ships cannot defend themselves and are unable to be sent into battle, despite a $1.4 billion upgrade.

A navy insider close to the 4000-tonne Adelaide Class Guided Missile Frigates has revealed the ships' complex electronic systems are not working properly.

He told The Advertiser that sending the 1970s ships to war would be like sending a VK Commodore to race at Bathurst.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This would be funny if it wasnt so scary. $1.4 billion dollars and the damning things still dont work.

What is the point of a navy that cant be deployed?

Is anyone else as disgusted by this as I am

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Is this a new thing like the 1st january joke or something?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist

This would be funny if it wasnt so scary. $1.4 billion dollars and the damning things still dont work.

What is the point of a navy that cant be deployed?

Conspiracy
I have seen things like this come and go. In my opinion, new and upgraded systems rarely work the way they are supposed to until a few years, or a decade later when all the bugs are worked out. My only question would be just how bad, or what percentage of the systems are not working at all? Or only working to part capacity.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
The main thing is they are still better than Indonesia's ships. Which is our closest threat.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrLee
The main thing is they are still better than Indonesia's ships. Which is our closest threat.

I totally agree with that ;-P

I also agree that it will take a bit of time to get the kinks worked out of the system. But once it does...

I just want to know what is so hard about getting the electronics to work right?

Is it that hard to get a computer system hooked up to radar, missile launchers hooked up to shoot at things on radar, or on ground targets, and have the torpedoes hooked up to the sonar to seek out the subs? Has it got air defence preped to take out in bound air threats.... What else does the ship need to do? Steer? How hard can it honestly be?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Not surprising, always takes the aussies a fair few tries to get these type of things right. They always seem to waste a heep of money in the process sadly. Just like with the collins class subs...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sobolwolf
Not surprising, always takes the aussies a fair few tries to get these type of things right. They always seem to waste a heep of money in the process sadly. Just like with the collins class subs...

en.wikipedia.org...

and the Seasprite Helicopter

here

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Or like sailing in a Canadian submarine. At least Aus has Bathurst and Summer and Supercars right now. Holden! Better, Casey Stoner. They are real gear, just like Aussie's. One could imagine that electronic systems would be all simmed to the nine's but in actual use? Um, maybe they run Vista. LOL. But you know they'll sort it proper and some corp will make a bundle.

Mira

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Is it that hard to get a computer system hooked up to radar, missile launchers hooked up to shoot at things on radar, or on ground targets, and have the torpedoes hooked up to the sonar to seek out the subs? Has it got air defence preped to take out in bound air threats.... What else does the ship need to do? Steer? How hard can it honestly be?

It is actually very complex and difficult. The problem usually is not will each individual system but with intergration of all the systems into one command and control center. You have to keep in mind the amount of wiring there is on one of these ships. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of feet of wiring.

Plus you have to take into account everything else which must be routed along with the wiring such as water & plumbing, power, air conditionting & filtering & all the mechanical systems.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm just wondering if we can get the same electronics on our ships here in America, so King George can't keep sending them into create warzones across the globe?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I'm just wondering if we can get the same electronics on our ships here in America, so King George can't keep sending them into create warzones across the globe?

Do you really have to politicize this thread?

Yeah, lets have faulty electronics in our military so effectively the military would be useless. Good idea...NOT.

top topics

join