It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenyans burned to death in church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Kenyans burned to death in church

news.bbc.co.uk

At least 15 people have been burned to death in a church in western Kenya, after seeking refuge from the mounting violence over last week's elections.
A mob attacked and set fire to the church in the town of Eldoret where hundreds of people were hiding, say police and eyewitness reports.

Dozens more are reported to have been taken to hospital with severe burns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This has reached a new level of barbicness. I can not comment on what has led up to this. It juse seems have gotten as bad as they can get. And I will probably be proved wrong and the will get worse. This is devolping and I will post more information as I find it.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Note to self.... never, ever, set foot in Africa.

I don't know if it is just media bias or not, but Africa seems to be about as dangerous as it gets. The atrocities that get reported on from there are just insane. If it is just bias, and the reality is that it is a wonderful place with just a few bad seeds... well, the media got me. I won't be going there anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I would too use the word barbarism to describe this act.

It's despicable that individuals would would attack, destroy and slain the lives of those who are seeking shelter in a holy place of sanctum.

Just shocking.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Good Lord !!!

All over who can control a largely resource poor country....Strip what they can and transfer said funds to Europe...

And leave the rest of the people, even those who voted for the winners high and dry...

That to me already is the SADDEST story of 2008...

People so trusting...Those in power hellbent on living their lives in luxury exiled in some far away land...

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thank you both for posting. I found a little more information on Kenya for those who want to read it.
isreali thread
suspecats had us pass ports

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thanks for posting all of that information about Kenya. It seems like that place has the same problems with violence as Rwanda did before, during, and after the genocide in that same country.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ahuman

Ahuman
that is a good point. I did not consider the two.
I can say that lets hope that the situation in Kenya will not lead to genocide.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

Just remember Africa isnt one place thats all the same, its a huge place, with many different countries.

Places like Morocco and Egypt are nice to go to.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Update
The death toll is up to thirty now

Thirty Kenyans including many children have been burned to death in a church, after seeking refuge from the mounting violence over last week's elections.
A mob attacked and set fire to the church in the western town of Eldoret where hundreds of people were hiding, say police and eyewitness reports
sorce

apc

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

... unarmed.

Maybe they should ban fire.

Where can you see lions?
Only in Kenya!
Come to Kenya we've got lions!

[edit on 1-1-2008 by apc]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I loved that song and accompanying video.... Is it still about?

As for the topic, it's not surprising this. All over the world, where western powers try to install democracy, either as former colonial rulers or chasing fictitious weaponry, it is failing.

Why? Why does it work in the west and not very well anywhere else?

If you look at all the successful and stable democracies in the world (Europe, N America, Japan, Australia etc) they all have one thing in common:

We don't do the whole tribal/clan thing anymore. In fact, in most of the successful and stable democracies, this was done away with centuries ago.

Whereas in Kenya, or Pakistan etc, all the "political parties" are merely a way for a particular Tribe or clan to be represented. Regardless what the party stands for, those of the same tribe as the party will vote for it. It is why we see them get so "passionate" about things and start to burn places down.

Bhutto's party is described as having a "stronghold", for example. This is the ancestral home of Bhutto and her supporters, hence they will always vote for her party as is it the Tribal party.

It is not because they love democracy so much more than us, it's just because their Elders have kicked up a stink about not winning or whatever, so they send out the Youth to cause trouble.

They might try to emulate a Modern Democracy, but deep down, their society hasn't evolved to the point where it can cope with it. Democracy needs to slowly implemented, as society adapts and changes. It took several hundred years for Democracy in the UK to develop and flourish, likewise elsewhere.

Going round the world plonking them down willy-nilly is not going to work.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
well, there's much more to it. colonialism did negatively effect every
aboriginal citizen of every colonised country. what you see are the
throes of the act. take every african nation who has had interior
trouble, listen to the language they speak or inquire as to who "assumed"
control of them after any world war, and you will see who was
responsible. while this practice can and in most cases does enable
the coloniser wealth, the original inhabitants suffer greatly.

oil, minerals, agriculture, land, you name it, is the price paid,
and the return is always filth, poverty and ignorance.

american indians are tired of it.
aboriginal australians are growing weary.
africa (several countries) is screwed up.
india is finally beginning to recover.
arabia (several countries).

when the ursurper and the defeated look alike, most times
differences over time will disappear but when there is an obvious
physical difference it becomes quite easy to maintain a superior
attitude. eventually that attitude becomes second nature, but is
always noticed and hated by the defeated.

humans MUST devise a better way. i can imagine
EBEs looking and wondering "where the hell did we go wrong?".

[edit on 1-1-2008 by last time here]

[edit on 1-1-2008 by last time here]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
African colonisation brought them functioning Government, infrastructure, education and healthcare. We handed over perfectly working little countries when we left Africa.

Not one of them now is in a fit shape.

The only decent one's where Zimbabwe and S.Africa, but these have gone to pot now because of who is in charge.

When they base their entire political structure along tribal lines, it is doomed to fail, as they will always be at each other's throats. Nearly all of Africa's woes over the past 50 years have been as a result of inter-tribal warfare.

Trying to blame the white man is a fallacy. Zimbabwe and S-Africa were white run for years after colonisation ended and were successful. Now they are cesspits. We left them with functioning countries, it is they who have ruined it.

You sound like Mugabe, blaming your problems in 2008 on something that happened 60 years ago.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
whoaaaaa british guy.. i never mentioned color.

greed is greed whomever is responsible.

top topics

join