It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auctioned yellow star sparks outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Auctioned yellow star sparks outrage

www.upi.com

JERUSALEM, Dec. 31 (UPI) -- An Israeli auction house has drawn criticism for selling two yellow stars used to identify Jews during the Nazi era...."Commercializing items from the Holocaust, such as the stars Jews were forced to wear, is disrespectful and wrong, and particularly should not take place in Israel," Shalev said. "The place for such items is either with the survivors or their families, or in archives and museum collections such as the collection of Yad Vashem."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is an interesting topic. Do you feel that this is wrong? People making money off of death essentially. Some in Israel believe that it is not right to commercialize the star used to label Jews in WW2. Yet we continue to allow average people to continue displaying confederate flags and swastica flags all over the US. We also seem to enjoy as a society now a days every time something goes wrong. We love to see that accident on the side of the road. My question is, is their a long enough period of time when it becomes okay to commercialize such items. How long can we wait before a bumper sticker that reads: I was at ground zero September 24th 2002. Maybe something like that does exist already(I hope not). It just seems like people have been profiting of of death for quite a long time. The last part of the story indicates the press for legislation prohibiting the sale of such items. Can't a survivor or there descendants sell it if they choose so in hopes of ridding themselves of such evidence of a horrific event.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this. People sell and collect war memorabilia all the time. Why do you think these items should be treated differently because they were worn by Jewish victims of war? What makes them more special than Vietnamese victims of war? and yet relics from the vietnam war are sold and trated everyday without any complaints from the Jews?

[edit on 31-12-2007 by Dont Hate Rats]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There's also a big trade in American slave related objects.

Besides, how are museums to obtain these items unless they're sold? Do these people advocate that anything connected with the holocaust be given away? What of all the old pictures of the camps that were sold to newspapers? What about camp survivors who sold books? Where do you draw the line?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dont Hate Rats

I hope you are not claiming my views are elitist. I in no way view this that way. I agree with the post by NGC. The fact that they are considering legislation for this , IMO, is absurd. The only way these relics are moved around is through selling. Not many things are donated anymore. If a profit can be made, then people will do it. Please clarify what you I said that you claim to be elitist.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I wonder is people would mind if collected KKK memorabilia or Pol Pot stuff or other items that signify infliction of genocide and pain on a race of people. I wonder about the people who want to own these things. Maybe a museum is correct so that others and see them in a proper context and not as a fetish.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

`Harry Potter' star donates eyeglasses

MANCHESTER, England - Daniel Radcliffe, who has captivated moviegoers as the bespectacled schoolboy wizard in the Harry Potter films, has donated the first pair of glasses he wore as a child to an exhibition marking the horrors of the Holocaust.

harry potter

this must be the counter effort.....LOL...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Another silly news story to keep the Holocaust in the public spot light.

Expect 500 more this year.

new topics

top topics

join