It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roadster 280SL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have a friend that wants to sell his Mercedes, 280sl, convertable/hardtop, 1980 for 7k.

No rust, ratty interior, new tires, perfect body. NADA lists it much higher.

I sure would like to have a convertable for next summer. Is this a good deal.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
How does it run? Do you have a mechanic that can check it out? Check underneath for rust.....the old Mercedes' usually rot pretty good but....

If it runs good and the body is good, then yes it is a deal. Look into what it will cost to spruce up the inside before you decide.

I had a 2000 SLK....best car I ever owned and last year I almost bought a 2003 SL 500 for only $15,000 but it had been in a pretty bad accident. It looked perfect in and out but the front end was a mess on the highway. The guy said it just needed an allignment. I said "Really? I would think you would take care of that right away since it's cheap vs. letting people think that the frame is probably bent."

Needless to say, I didn't buy the car....bought a different convertible instead. I LOVE convertibles. My last three cars have been convertibles.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I didn't think anyone was ever going to respond, but looky here it's E_B with some down right solid information.

It runs great with the 6 FI. New Mexico car so no rust. Needs the front bottom piece below the bumper. Is that called a faring, wind dam?

I also drove Mercedes back when my ego was less than OK and it was part of my "fake it till you Make it" strategy. I had a 57 190, and 70 220 S.
Both beautiful pieces. Loved those wood dashes. About the same time I also had a 356 Porsche but in a rare moment of clarity, I knew that I would die in that car so I sold it to a sober person.

Anyway the QOP thinks the convertable might be fun for the summer too.
What the hell, I think I'll get it.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Those are a real cool body design,only problem with old Euro cars,they develop electrical problems and parts are pretty pricey,so if you know how to wrench on cars might be ok,I had old brit cars when I was a kid,a girl asked a friend of mine if I had fixed my car,he answered "He fixes it every day" lol but sure is a head turner

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hey oldtimer, I bought the car. But you were right about the electrical problems. The heater dosen't work but the defroster never stops.
With the hard top off, it sure is a sporty rascal. and I sure did enjoy the summer in that car. I think Ill keep it for another season now that gas is down to a reasonable level.

Thanks for the reply!

top topics

join