It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Voting Is Questioned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Electronic Voting Is Questioned

www.examiner.com

With the presidential race in full swing, Colorado and other states have found critical flaws in the accuracy and security of their electronic voting machines, forcing officials to scramble to return to the paper ballots they abandoned after the Florida debacle of 2000.

In December alone, top election officials in Ohio and Colorado declared that widely used voting equipment is unfit for elections.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hooray, some good news at last.

We have come to rely on technology for major issues and it is now being shown to have big problems.

Sometimes, going back to basics is the only way to get things done, properly.

I hope that a return to paper ballots will give the citizens of the USA some voting confidence and allow the RIGHT person to be voted in to the next presidency legally, truthfully, without doubt and with full credit.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
As long as the people who are counting the ballots haven't been paid off... at least then there's a guilty party to blame though.

I never understood why they wanted to bring electronic voting stations in in the first place... this is a country's election we're talking about, not an episode of "american idol".

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes definitely some good news. I am glad at leas one or two states have the stones to scrap the electronic voting machines.
As to the people counting the votes doing so honestly, with the patter ballet system, there is at least a paper trail to follow then. That is why I prefer the paper ballets. Not to menchen all the potential problems that have been talked about here on the electronic voting.

apc

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Maybe we should go back to tabella.

If they can get these new machines secure and reliable it would be a good thing. They're the logical step for transition to in-home (online) voting. That will have problems of its own, but it should more than double attendance.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I had not thought of on line voting, but my first thought would be that it would be subject to the same falsifications of the electronic voting machines being used now. But aside from that, I agree with you that it would be the next logical step.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have never liked the idea of electronic ballot stations, at least with paper there is tangible evidence there, and they would have to go through a humans personal judgement to cheat the system rather than an unthinking machine.

Also theres just so much mystery surrounding computers among the general populace that its just not a good idea to put such an important decision on them and them alone.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The solution is to use Open Source Voting Software.
www.theregister.co.uk...
Everyone has access to the software and can check it.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Ars Techinca has published some very good articles on electronic voting in the last few months. You can find some of them here:

arstechnica.com...

I don't trust it at all. It is far too easily manipulated and doesn't have the transparency of a traditional ballot. The sooner these voting machines are done away with the better in my view.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Electronic balloting just can’t be trusted IMO. You have to have an independent paper trail that can be rechecked multiple times by multiple people. It now seems that even the Iowa caucuses are being tallied by electronic means, and by a company with foreign ownership.

www.dailypaul.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If there's a chance that elections gets stolen(with the help of electronic voting systems) by a canditate that wasn't voted for, isn't it about a time to get rid of them before the election?

I'm not american so I'm unfamiliar with the system. So if anyonce cares to explain it, or throw some links which gives the basic idea for dummies, I'd appreciate.

Do you have a real choice between the electronical and conventional(paper) methods of casting vote? I mean, can you choose between the methods, so if you dislike electronic voting, you can go and fill in some old fashioned paper instead, and dropping it in the box by yourself?

Cause if there's a choice - people should immediately stop using electronic voting possibility.

new topics

top topics

join