It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there animal remains on Mars? - What about dinosaurs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Do you remember the scene in Star Wars (1977) when C3PO and R2D2 are traversing the Tattoine Desert and they stride past the huge skeletal remains of some large creature? How many times are you looking over photos of Mars and just hoping that you'll come across a picture that entails as such? Okay maybe it doesnt have to be so enormous, but any type of ancient now defunct Mars wildlife would be exciting - would it not? Though, preferably alive would be more exciting, but anything......With all that being said, we've seen shells, micro-organisms, even rocks that are shaped liked bullfrogs

Anyways, take a look at these pics below. I pulled them from: themis.asu.edu...
Let me start by saying...(SpikeD disclaimer....) I am not saying they are in fact what they almost appear to be....but dont they kinda look like dinosaur remains stuck in Uzboi Vallis on Mars? Could they be? What are the chances that large reptile type creatures at one time roamed on Planet Mars just as they did here on Earth? Obviously, the current climate wouldnt be favorable to provide the proper habitats for such creatures, though it is up for debate...as are many things with planet Mars - another thread another time... But say these were the remains of dead animals. What does that say for the decomposition rate on Mars? Due to current climate/atmospheric conditions, would organic material possibly calcify or 'harden' by some process similar to that of the desert here? I'm no scientist by trade, so its actually kind of a legitimate question I'm posing there. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and replies. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

(themis.asu.edu...)

Image Credit: NASA/JPL/ASU

[edit on 31-12-2007 by spikedmilk]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I noticed I had the wrong pic attached from the Themis 'collection'. heres the correct one - at least the link was the correct tho.....ooops

themis.asu.edu...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sorry to be the one to inform you, but those are geological formations, not fossils.

It's highly unlikely that a sat image would pick up something as small as a fossilized bone, even if such were on Mars.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Seeing as this topic is on the possibility of a once existant life on Mars (in regards to animals), heres another one of interest looking like some type of creature - maybe. Are those teeth?

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe this is one ???? pictures from Mars Rovers

I also found this beam picture -

Link -marsrover.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Sorry to be the one to inform you, but those are geological formations, not fossils.

It's highly unlikely that a sat image would pick up something as small as a fossilized bone, even if such were on Mars.

hey there, no need to apologize. it was more of a speculative natured thread and a 'what if' type. I think they 'look like' and I'd like them to be. How cool would it be tho if you/we did or were to find some that big?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Maybe Mars never got the chance for life? You could be looking at a planet that came so close to becoming an earth like world full of life. But it just doesn't look like the beautiful earth we have. Full of oceans, rivers, lakes and plant life. Or maybe it has life, but nothing like our planet or maybe it's just microscopic life. I wonder if it was ever hot enough for dinosaurs on Mars? Anyway, sorry for all the questions and what if's. I just think we see what we've been able to see on earth and look for those pacific images on Mars. What if it's right in front of us ( fossil's ) and we don't know it because it's not what we're used to seeing? We'll really never know until we can land and stay on Mars long enough to do some digging and exploration.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

What if it's right in front of us ( fossil's ) and we don't know it because it's not what we're used to seeing? We'll really never know until we can land and stay on Mars long enough to do some digging and exploration.

Thanks for the post SolarSkye. Thats my one of my daughters names btw, it so pleasing to just say Skye....
, anyways two very strong if not key points there my friend. We wont know, if we dont go. I'm all about the rovers and they've proven their worth beyond any exception especially in the way of longevity. But to put 'man' there would be an accomplishment that would herald discoveries that are unknown to us in the way of archaeology and biology.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
We'll really never know until we can land and stay on Mars long enough to do some digging and exploration.

There is an advanced rover in the works. It may be not necessary to fly a man to Mars to do meaningful exploration -- we can drill and examine samples remotely. Specifically, we are looking for fossiles? Fine, we could send back optical and X-ray pictures of rocks. I would love a close-up of a martian rock in full 1080p resolution on my TV

new topics

top topics

join