It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life as we know it to end? Yes say oil supply watchers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well let's be frank there is lots of talk around here about what is or isn't going to happen in future but there is one thing we can all agree on: we will soon enough for most of us run out of oil.

What happens then is that to be a major catastropy?

www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
That is just the oppinon of a few people.

I have heard recent facts that oil is abundant in the middle-east for at least 100 years, then there is the caspian sea, also U.S.

So I don't think we have to live with it, at least not for long. Because when Oil runs out, most of us would be living in graveyard or in retirement houses.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I think it will be a major catastrophy, if we don't find an alternative source of energy for transportation of goods.

I certainly don't feel like going back to an agrarian way of living. There is probably knowledge among the scientific community about alternative sources of energy that can be exploited on a worldwide basis, but the major oil companies don't, I think, want this to get out untill it is really necessary.

Oil extractors are profiting heavily and governments support them, until the oil is gone, then perhaps this new source of energy will be known.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The USA from what i can gather has HUGE oil reserve and rarely uses its own oil produce, it relies on inports so its own vast oil resources can be used when everyone else runs out

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Oil extractors are profiting heavily and governments support them, until the oil is gone, then perhaps this new source of energy will be known.

I hope there is one, I, for one, certainly wouldn't like to ride my bike or walk, unless for fun.

Wonder what will people do without oil? No more oil wars.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

So I don't think we have to live with it, at least not for long. Because when Oil runs out, most of us would be living in graveyard or in retirement houses.

Thats true, but what about future generations? Hopefully they find more sources of power.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Thats true, but what about future generations? Hopefully they find more sources of power.

Of course they will, if we haven't already found them. Solar power is the best source. Yes they can't be used in night time, but you could store them at day and use them later.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Wow, that was definitely an interesting read. I still believe in the power of ethanol and biodiesel, no matter what the article states. After all, less that 15 miles from my house they race cars that are powered solely on alcohol that is very similar to ethanol, and there is enough energy in the alcohol to make the engines propel the cars at 140+ m.p.h. The cars used by the state are powered by an 85% ethanol blend, and can cruise around at highway speed all day, just like my gas powered car does. Surely ethanol can be used to replace gasoline, synthetic oils can be used as lubricants. As for electricity and everything else, I have no idea.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
The cars used by the state are powered by an 85% ethanol blend, and can cruise around at highway speed all day, just like my gas powered car does. Surely ethanol can be used to replace gasoline, synthetic oils can be used as lubricants. As for electricity and everything else, I have no idea.

But how long with ethanol last?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Originally posted by kaoszero
The cars used by the state are powered by an 85% ethanol blend, and can cruise around at highway speed all day, just like my gas powered car does. Surely ethanol can be used to replace gasoline, synthetic oils can be used as lubricants. As for electricity and everything else, I have no idea.

But how long with ethanol last?

In theory, ethanol and biodiesel will last as long as corn, soybeans, and other vegetables can be grown. A person can set up a biodiesel refinery in their own back yard, and make biodiesel out of old vegetables if they feel so inclined. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge as to how ethanol is made, other than in Iowa, it is made of corn, and corn is pretty #ing abundant in this state.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
What we need to do is invade some overpopulated country (china and india i'm looking your way) and get them all on treadmills and excercise bikes and get them to start pedalling....

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
What we need to do is invade some overpopulated country (china and india i'm looking your way) and get them all on treadmills and excercise bikes and get them to start pedalling....

No, what we need to do is take the country using most energy you know which country I'm looking at, (if you don't know this, there is no hope for you) and pack them off to moon or something planet that can't sustain life.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

No, what we need to do is take the country using most energy you know which country I'm looking at, (if you don't know this, there is no hope for you) and pack them off to moon or something planet that can't sustain life.

Good plan, except for those of us who actually are trying to not use as much energy. Believe it or not, there are a few people in the US who aren't completely dependant on oil to sustain life.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Good plan, except for those of us who actually are trying to not use as much energy. Believe it or not, there are a few people in the US who aren't completely dependant on oil to sustain life.

Do mean those like Big Foot that live in forests and never show faces their cities?

I still think it is good plan, they are only like 15 or 20 people who aren't completely dependent on oil, so who cares about 15 or 20 people, right?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Do mean those like Big Foot that live in forests and never show faces their cities?

I still think it is good plan, they are only like 15 or 20 people who aren't completely dependent on oil, so who cares about 15 or 20 people, right?

Hey, I guess a little genocide never hurt anyone, especially those of us going into bioprocess tech to try to find alternatives. If all else fails, I'll just move to another English speaking country with a higher tax rate and higher cost of living.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The US has vast quantities of something called Oil Shale - a claylike rock soacked through with fossil fuel. In fact, at least 1 trillion bbl. of it, or four times Saudi Arabia's oil reserves, is locked up in the mountains 200 miles west of Denver.
We had and still have the opportunity to mine the stuff. We invested a lot of money in it and for a time we were pumping some out. But then they just quit after oil prices stabled in the 80's. It was estimated we would be have been producing 2 million bbl. a day from shale - enough to slice U.S. imports by 20%.
Anyways, we gave it up purposely. The Canadians stuck with it and have perfected the process of extracting oil from something similar to the shale called Oil Sand. America has more oil then any other country in the world - even more so than what's locked up in the Colorado rockies. Oil wells are actually refilling - which isn't common knowledge because no one wants to look at the truth, oil prices would fall flat if everyone knew that.
I've already posted this a link to this great article about Thomas Gold's geological research of the earth's oil reserves and his theories on how oil isn't actually caused by the dead remains of creatures. Read it: www.wired.com...

Anyways, I'm kind of tired, so my writing might not make too much sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Incidently, the info about Colorado's oil shale and Canada's oil stone I got from a great time article called Asleep at the Switch - October 13, 2003 issue of time. Also, its strange that no one wrote any letters to time in regards to it, nor the synfuels article that was before it. Usually people would write in for something like this to be shown in the issue after next. Censorship? Or no one is interested in the obvious?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Hey i think my opinions on the country in question are pretty clear and i have no problem with picking your country up (with a few others) and sending it on a one way trip into the sun... i'd let some of the cooler guys from your 'cough' beautiful country survive of course coz your not all bad... but we all use oil and yes we do need it to sustain luxurious standards of today... but you guys (not neccesarily you surfup or any ATSers) over there in the land of the used to be free really do go overboard

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Life as we Know it End because of No OiL?
Well, that sounds pretty absurd, Being that the U.S. is the largest producer of corn in the world...and what do plants produce? Ethanol, Ethanol and even more Ethanol...But I'm here to talk about Solar Energy....We have an Unlimited amount of Solar Energy ranging on average from 10-12 Hours per Day Depending on the time of Year.

Picture this....You Pay 20 thousand dollars for about 20x20 Square Ft. of Solar panels....Which could in Theory run all the electrical appliances in your house, keep a constant flow of hot water to your sink...dishwasher...and showers, and keep your heater running all day.....and what's even more Suprising is that by California Law...That you could Turn around and actually SeLL your stored up energy to PG&E....How about we give the Sun a Freaking Round of Applause....

And about Travel? How about we take a Look to our French cousins to the East...ever hear of the Trans Grande Vitesse? Or otherwise known as the T.G.V. , which are the fastest trains in the world...which Literally Fly in Mid Air...By using Magnetic Levitation....Throw Some Solar Panels on the Babies and watch the Energy Cost drop like an Exhibitionit's Trench Coat at a Park...

Hell, it could even Save the Economy....How about we start Building trains that run on electricity....that can carry you to any city in your state....The Economy goes up, Millions of Job's Open Up, Fuel Efficient transportation with large cargo....Everyones Happy....

Heres a Link : www.uic.asso.fr...

How about we start getting more money into the U.S. instead of paying Millions apon Millions to Japanese run Companies like Toyata, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Suzuki, Yamaha..Etc...and Start getting money into American Companies such as General Motors, Ford, Etc....

And about Cars.....OiL to the U.S.A. is like a Crack Fiend recieveing 10 doses every 5 Minutes....Have you ever taken the time to Watch how many Cars run on your Freeway's in your Town alone? Then Multiply that by Millions apon Millions apon Millions......It's Like a Maze of Exhaust and Steel......Answer you ask? Convert them to Ethanol Based Fuels or Electric Cars....

Sincerely, James

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by SpookenYaMind]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just found out recently that China is the fastest growing oil importer these days. They currently produce about 60% of their requirements but because their economy is growing so fast that will shrink fast. They are reluctant to use more coal due to pollution effects.

Maybe the real threat in future to energy supply is not North America but Europe and Asia? Mind you Europe and Asian countries can siddle up to Russia and the middle east to help them out but how much of their supply is already committed.

Some people say that most geopolitics is all about oil, somehow I doubt that but certainly it is worthy of the description 'black gold.'

join