It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia - It is so damn HOT!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I live in Sydney and this summer has been the mildest in a long time....and one of the wettest.....weird huh....same in parts of queensland too. Everywhere else in OZ seems to be getting toasted.

[edit on 9-3-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
In his book Collapse, the geographer Jared Diamond suggests that Australia isn't really capable of supporting a large human population -- and in this context, a million people is a 'large' population. It's not the heat so much as the lack of water, though environmental damage through early deforestation, sheep and cattle farming, thirsty cotton up north and so forth all exacerbate both the drought and the heat.

Of course, life can go on as long as goods and energy are supplied from outside...

On the Fahrenheit/Celsius (Centigrade) issue, scientific calculators were only just coming in when I was a schoolboy, with the result that I still remember this useful little formula:

c = 5(f - 32)/9

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Why pick centigrade? certain peopleof a northern hemispherical persuasion are asking.

Well, if you're going to defend farenheit and miles, why stick with decimal currency?

Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100, it's a nicely logical system, well-thought out and using those nice, easy round numbers.

Like 100c in $1. Or 100cm in 1m and 1000m in 1k. 1000g in 1kg and 1000ml in 1l.

Plus 1l of H2O = 1kg. Because at base 1cc = 1ml and one of either of H2O = 1g.

Metric, the only thing the French have ever done for the world.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
adelaide, south australia has just had its hottest 9 days on record and its not looking any better for the next 9 either.

bom.gov.au bureau of meteorology

wednesday (tomorrow) 38c
Thursday Dry. Sunny. Min 24 Max 39
Friday Dry. Windy. Min 28 Max 39
Saturday Dry. Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 38
Sunday Dry. Sunny. Min 21 Max 38
Monday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 39
Tuesday Dry. Sunny. Min 25 Max 39

err, can someone turn the temperatures down about 15c please..

[edit on 11/3/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

You make some very good points Astyanax

There is no way know cotton or rice should be grown in a continent as dry as Australia...

The sheer lack of reliable water supply, combined with the drain this kind of farming places on essential food stock farming is just not worth it...

Cotton and rice farmers in Australia need to be bought off their land, or moved further north....

We can import both of these items easily enough without causing a huge rise in the prices of these....Especially cotton...Most of the locally grown cotton ends up in Asia for clothing anyways....

This is one area of the farming sector that should not exist in the driest continent on Earth...

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
There is no way know cotton or rice should be grown in a continent as dry as Australia...

Abso-flogging-lutely. It's the dirtiest agro-industry in Australia. You should see the confluence of the Darling and the Murray (when the Darling is flowing, that is); it looks like a sewer emptying into the Murray (and let's face it, the Murray ain't that clean to begin with!).

This is one area of the farming sector that should not exist in the driest continent on Earth...

The problem is that it's pretty much the most profitable bloody crop in the farming sector and money always wins against the common good.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I still remember this useful little formula:

c = 5(f - 32)/9

That is a helpful formula, thanks.

Well South Australia has had the longest heatwave on record now:

Adelaide smashes heatwave record
"Today we've had 11th day over 35 degrees in Adelaide and we are forecasting at this stage for temperatures to stay over 35 until Tuesday next week, which in total would give us 16 days in a row."

And now we are being told to brace ourselves for more of the same:

more here
SOUTH Australians are being warned to brace for harsher and more regular heatwaves amid fears climate change may be occurring faster than forecast.
And they warn the normal four seasons will blur as temperatures increase and summer stretches well into the autumn months.

"I would expect more events like this in future," he said.

"We would anticipate in future more heatwaves will occur and that some of those will be more intense in terms of having much higher temperatures.

Maybe it is time our Government pay the CFS volunteers. How would we manage without the Country Fire Service?

Searing SA heat could trigger bushfires
SOUTH Australia faces more serious outbreaks of fire after a 13-day heatwave which is expected to continue until Tuesday.

Hot weather has contributed to difficult firefighting conditions, including a 150-hectare blaze at Willunga in Adelaide's south, which gutted a house and left nine firefighters suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

And what is even crazier is 2 nights ago, I woke up to the sound of thunder. Of course, I went outside to look to see if in fact the meteorologists had it wrong and we were in for some rain. Nothing, not a drop yet plenty of lightening and thunder. I just felt the sound of thunder during this heatwave was very strange.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Im on he north coast of NSW up near Byron Bay and just like Sydney whave had a very mild summer but i do have family in adelaide and not only is it very hot over there but also very dry they are hoping for a good wet season comming up

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Adelaide likely to break heatwave record[29/01/2009]

Southern Australia wilts as worst heatwave in a century hits

Now perhaps that is nothing to worry about, but OMG we have a heatwave upon us and it is damn hot...this is the consequences of global warming.

I wish everyone around the globe would start reducing their greenhouse emissions because the hole in the ozone is right above Australia. Anyone who lives in Australia will certainly state the temp is getting hotter and hotter... sure we have the highest emissions per capita but other countries far exceed what we are putting out. At least Rudd is pushing for carbon emission changes... needed to happen a decade ago...

We are feeling the effects in Australia... I don't know about other countries...but is it law in other countries to wear a hat at all times when your outside at school or outdoor work?

“From September 21 to 30, [2006], the average area of the ozone hole was the largest ever observed, at 10.6 million square miles,”

NASA

Data from NASA's Earth-observing Aura satellite show that the ozone hole peaked in size on Sept. 13,[2007] reaching a maximum area extent of 9.7 million square miles – just larger than the size of North America. That's "pretty average," says Paul Newman, an atmospheric scientist at NASA Goddard Space Fight Center, when compared to the area of ozone holes measured over the last 15 years. Still, the extent this year was "very big," he says, compared to 1970s when the hole did not yet exist.

NASA

In 2008 a stronger-than-usual meridional heat transport caused warmer temperatures in the Antarctic stratosphere than usual, reducing the formation of PSCs. Consequently, the conversion of chemically inactive halogens into ozone-destroying substances was reduced. As a result in the beginning of September 2008, the ozone hole area was slightly smaller than average," he continued.

"Since the polar vortex remained undisturbed for a long period, the 2008 ozone hole became one of the largest ever observed."

This year the area of the thinned ozone layer over the South Pole reached about 27 million square kilometres, compared to 25 million square kilometres in 2007

GEO

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
man, its so damn hot at work (brick company)
hot weather is one thing, but this 45c weather is like living in my oven.

you know its hot in adelaide when:

- you consider buying shares in coopers brewing company
- you cancel your hotmail account because you dont like the sound of it
- you try putting a mattress in your fridge
- you dont know how hot it is because your thermometer only goes up to 45c
- you want to buy a house in alaska
- your electric bill is higher than your mortgage.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
well all i know is that this is the hottest its been here in Newcastle NSW for a hell of a long time...... Full days and nights of 26+, been well sus trying to sleep lately

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
you know its hot in adelaide when:

- you consider buying shares in coopers brewing company
- you cancel your hotmail account because you dont like the sound of it
- you try putting a mattress in your fridge
- you dont know how hot it is because your thermometer only goes up to 45c
- you want to buy a house in alaska
- your electric bill is higher than your mortgage.

so funny... especially the last one... and um..so true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join