It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia - It is so damn HOT!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Ok, is it just my imagination or is the temperatures on the way up?

I went home for xmas and it was hot = 41 - 44 Degrees over that period. Yesterday, it was 44 Deg... today it is over 40 yet again.

In Australia, the Summer season, it is usual to get a heatwave. But in all honesty, the heat feels much worse. Last year, we hit 40 for 5 days straight. The heatwave seems to have bumped up now from high 30s to 40 and over.

Current Temperature Adelaide 40.9

The regional country areas are usually around 36-39 Degrees not 40 +

Regional Areas

I drove home yesterday with the air conditioner on full blast. I actually worried that if the car broke down, I would not last 5 minutes out in it.

The heat is different.

26th Dec, Perth hit 45 Degrees

Perth Local Weather

People debate about global warming, the rising temperature averages in Australia is enough to convince me.

Heatwave is one thing but throw in drought conditions... it is a real concern.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Hi Thurisaz/

I'm in Melbourne and it is quite hot out!
Even in 22 degree temperature, the Sun is quite hot when it hits exposed skin.
forecast .....
Are you in Adelaide or Perth?

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
For some reason, I never thought Australia got below 60 degrees to begin with.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Tell me bout it, Thurisaz...

Its still 42 here @ 6.30 pm, got to 43 a couple hours ago...Its been like 40 + for like 6 hrs now...

We're sweltering, no air con, just a big ole fan...

Given its only NYE, the next two months are going to unbearable at times...

Peace and keep cool !

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Wow! I will trade you places. LOL. Im in Alaska and its NEGATIVE 13
Though that is warm LOL

We have been hitting:

I grew up in Dallas Texas and I remember a few winters where it was so darn hot...we wore shorts all winter long. LOL This was back in the 70s/80s

[edit on 31-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well, here in Texas, if it gets down in the 20s, we are freaking freezing.. It only does that maybe four or five days out of the winter, here though.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I grew up in Dallas Texas and I remember a few winters where it was so darn hot...we wore shorts all winter long. LOL This was back in the 70s/80s

You must be hot natured.
Sometimes it get freaking frigid over here in East Texas to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
BTW, when I'm talking 42-43 degrees, I mean Celsius....Which is like 110 Fahrenheit....

Majorly hot to be sure

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

110 degrees? Holy cow!!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Ah, I'm talking farenheit..
I was going to say, I didn't think Australia ever got down to forty degress Farenheit..

[edit to say]

Well, I gues Id di say that here.

For some reason, I never thought Australia got below 60 degrees to begin with.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yes its F'n Hot.
On boxing day here in Perth, I rode my bike from my partners to my hosue... ( Motorbike )
and the wind was soo bloody hot, it burnt my skin.

the wind, was hotter than me standing at traffic lights in the direct sunlight.

40oC heat waves were common for a couple of days, but we're tipping the mercury something cronic this year..

I fear for next year, its just been getting hotter and hotter and hotter.
Flying in from japan I noticed its getting amazinly dryer and dryer on the outskirts of Perth.

Global warming?
huh, trying telling t people in NSW and WA its not real!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Now,
Can I ask.....Is 60 degrees , the same as 60 celsius?

because that would mean, Australia would be on fire!
You're not thinking ferenheight?

Melbourne gets hot, but as of lately, the temperature has been rising with each summer season.

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Yeah, it doesn't get that cold....On the coast here in winter, it will rarely get below 50 F during the day, maybe one or two days....

At night, very rarely gets below 0 Celsius...

GreenEyes, right about now I'll swap you for Alaska's weather

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   

oops!
I guess you fixed that up!

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Now,
Can I ask.....Is 60 degrees , the same as 60 celsius?

No, no, not even close...
60 degrees farenheit is much colder than 60 degrees celsius.. See, I'm just as confused about the celsius as you are farenheit..

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Well,
I knew 60 degrees was higher in temperature, then 60 ferenheight,but,
did not know that degrees was celsius?
and that ferenheight had a degrees and a celsius...
this is making my head

helen
Lucky the year is nearly over!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hi There,

Here in the UK we have had nothing but rain, rain, and more rain for good measure; a few strong downpours, but generally, just a steady fall.

To aid in understanding temperature scale and converting Fahrenheit to Celsius, take 0 degrees Fahrenheit being equal to -17.8 degrees Celsius, and for every extra degree in Fahrenheit add either 0.5 or 0.6 to the Celsius scale in a leapfrog fashion. Thus, 0 degrees Celsius equals 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and 100 degrees Fahrenheit equals 37.8 degrees Celsius.

The earth, of course has a natural tendency to globally warm as it deals with the fluctuations in heat it receives from the sun, but man's activities has added to this natural process...not caused it...and that our activities in polluting has undermined the earth's natural mechanism to deal with trapped heat it transfers globally. Thus, storms will become more intense (as we have seen), and pockets of hot spots getting hotter, and milder spots getting hotter (and wetter) will be the general order. Unfortunately, it is going to get worse, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. All we can do is to try and lessen the impact, which for many will be severe.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Hey, hey, hey, been there, done that. When I was living in central Oz's great dead heart it hit 60 (not in the shade) on Christmas Day 17 years ago. No, I am not lying, but I do point out this wasn't the shade.

In the shade it was a mere 45 degrees. Which was a damn sight more than I was then used to; Victoria's mountains didn't get that hot, even when there was a drought and the creeks dried up.

To our culturally less-developed, imperial-measuring friends, if the farenheit/celcius thing is confusing you, replace "celcius" with "centigrade". You know, where water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. (what's in a word?...)

(how come the US has decimal currency, but not metric weights and measures, anyway?)

Yeah, it's getting hotter all the time. At least in my anecdotal experience. Guess Penny Wong has a busy schedule ahead of her...

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

Hi Helen
I am in Adelaide. I do have friends over in Perth so check out the temp regularly. Whatever Perth is, SA gets a day or two later.

Couldnt believe the 45 degree day there. Howlrunner mentioned 60 in the centre-45 in the shade, that is typical out there...or to be expected but not so typical for coastal and surrounding areas!

I just came back from the beach so that definitely cooled me off. Even going to the beach is different, didn't leave the house until after 6; would have been fried if I had gone any earlier!

[edit on 31-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Unfortunately, it is going to get worse, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. All we can do is to try and lessen the impact, which for many will be severe.

That is the real issue. Seems to be a vicious circle. Everyone is using the airconditioning to cope with the heat thus using more electricity.

It is a lot cooler under ground... I think I might go and live at Coober Pedy and live in a dug out!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join