It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 The year that charity stays at home!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yesterday evening I met up with a few friends and watched a flick, the movie was ok and afterwards we decided to have a quick drink in a bar before heading home.

We walked out of the shopping mall/cinema complex and were attacked by little old ladies with collection tins. They were collecting for a charity that help the elderly. I put my hand in to my pocket and pulled out all the coins I had, about $15HK (that's about $2US) and with a smile I posted them into the box. What did I get for my troubles?

"Sap Um Man! Gum Cheep la!" Rough Translation = Only $15 that's so cheap!

Apart from wanting to blurt out in my best Jar Jar Binks "How Rude!" I was completely amused by the reaction. I do not have to give to charity, no one does, that's why it's called charity. The voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need. Says my trusty dictionary.

So anyway we carry on to the bar and get the beers in and have a chat with the owner and the manager. They both speak very good English and I tell them what the old woman has said and their like.

"Yeah they say that to the locals as well, and they say things like "come on you can give more, you look rich" and stuff like that."

I'm even more shocked by this, than what was said to me!! So I ask "And you think that it's ok to talk to people in this way?"

"Oh it's all about face, if you don't give money your obviously poor"

Craziness! I live in a completely crazy place where all the people are crazy, you can insult someone on the street and it's ok, because that's the way things are!!

Fine then!! I'm poor and I don't care what you say or think, every time I see a charity box I'm going to say "No thank you it's against my religion!" and then when I get home I'll put another $20 in my sons money box.

I've never seen such blatant ungratefulness. From now on.

Look after your own. First and foremost!

Charity begins at home... And that's where it's staying!!

Angry MonKey

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
ChiKey, what's worse to be accosted and insulted or to be called on the phone by expert guilt trippers that make you feel like less than human if you don't contribute to their cause.

I personally wouldn't feel bad in the least to tell rude old ladies to ****off.
Where as I still feel somewhat guilty when I lie and tell the phone solicitors that I have fallen on hard times myself and really cant afford even a pittance for their Charity. Something about perfect strangers calling me on the phone asking for money kinda rankles me.

But many times, I'm a real sucker for a bum if he gives me a good story involving a broken heart and the need for something to lessen the pain. I can relate to that.

This holiday season I put a fair amount of green in the Salvation Army pots. Perhaps it's the way they ring those bells and sing out a "God Bless you sir" so all the other shoppers can see what a fine generous gentleman you are.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

I've worked at a couple of companies in the US where we were strongly encouraged to donate to a favorite charity that the company supports. The suggestion was made to have a donation taken directly out of your check before tax deductions.

There is an old phrase that goes, "I gave at the office." Even though it was true in my case, it might be a new one you can use!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That is terrible, I would have had to fight the urge to reach back in the tin and take my donation out. I think you have the right idea, put the money towards your kid, instead of ungrateful old ladies. I think it is nice to help, if you can, but too many people give either out of guilt or because they want praise for their contribution. It should come from the goodness of your heart, it isnt a status symbol, and you shouldnt have your bags packed for a guilt trip if you dont give.

Really makes me sick to think that someone would go to the lengths that these people did. You should carry around a lump of coal, or a dog turd for those old ladies, that is all they deserve.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Having calmed from the other day, when I was obviously being "Cheap".

And having talked to a few more people that have had similar experiences with "The demon collection ladies" and just gunna throw it in the...

"Cultural Differences" box, and leave it there.

I like the concept of Karma and what you give out comes back to you ten times over and all that jazz...

I'll still give my change to Charity, but not the old demon ladies! Ha!

Whaaa.

That's just awful, phoning people up and asking for money. Really shouldn't be allowed... You could always go the "Vass is dass? Spreckeze Deutch? Sneill sneill! Achtung Spitfire! Route... Pretty sure not to many people in the states speak German!

MonKey

new topics

top topics

join