It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy's Area 51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I was watching a National Geographic Explorer episode about the Super Sub. They're showcasing the Virginia class submarine which is our newest high tech sub. The show focuses on the USS Texas.

While discussing the Texas's sonar, which they claim has more computer power than all the previous sub classes combined, they mentioned a facility in Idaho where research, testing, and development is done. The U.S. Navy Acoustic Research Detachment in Bayview Idaho uses Lake Pondera, which is over 1000 feet deep, to test designs for their acoustic properties.

The show I watched is on Google Video.
They start talking about the Bayview facility at about time index 19:37.

Google Video Link

I know that this facility is obviously not as super secret as Area 51 since it's being photographed and mentioned in a main stream TV show, but I thought it might still be of interest to someone here on ATS since It seems to be one of the Navy's Top Secret research & development facilities.

[edit on 30-12-2007 by LazyGuy]

[edit on 30-12-2007 by LazyGuy]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
China Lake is probably the closest thing the Navy has to Area 51. However, I have tracked the Beech Janet aircraft to Navy bases such as Fallon, so it would not be unreasonable to believe the Navy has current projects at Groom Lake.

www.lazygranch.com/passur.htm
has Janet tracks on it.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Great link! Is that your site?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thats quite a good point... I didn't realise that the navy might have an equivalent to Area 51...

One of my many blonde moments...

Laura x

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Great link! Is that your site?

Yes. My approach to area 51 investigation is to ignore the rumors and deal with what can be verified. Probably the best Area 51 website is the original ufomind.com. Glenn did great research. It is unfortunate he got tired of the game. The website hasn't been updated in 9 years. He no longer sells the visitors guide because he lost his copy and can't run off any more. I offered to scan my copy and send him the files, but I got no answer from my email.

I encourage readers to dig up the old Desert Rat newsletters from the ufomind website. They are classics.

The fact that we don't get hassled at the border is due to Glenn Campbell's activities. Once the cat was out of the bag, the dudes favored non-intervention until you crossed the line.

Given the nature of big organizations, somebody somewhere will screw up and leak information. It is up to you to find it. I used flytecomm and passur for quite some time before anyone posted about it on the net. I just kept the logging private, then when it was discovered, I put all the logs on line dating back a few years. The funny thing is the passur coverage of the Nellis airspace was never meant to be public. That is, it never showed up on McCarran website or Passur's. I just changed LAX to LAS one day, and out popped the Nellis airspace coverage.

Over the years, the base has closed these loopholes where possible. At the moment, most trips to area51 are filtered from flightaware.com. I say most, because the filters screw up once in a while.

Here is a leak I found about a year ago:
www.lazygranch.com...
Somebody at the defense mapping agency forgot to remove Area 51 from the map. It is still on the Yucca Mountain Project website
www.state.nv.us...

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The US Navy's Area 51 might be off the coast of the continental US even... Maybe near Andros...

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

... The U.S. Navy Acoustic Research Detachment in Bayview Idaho uses Lake Pondera, which is over 1000 feet deep, to test designs for their acoustic properties.

The correct spelling of the name of the lake is actually Pend O'Reille

I don't usually correct people on misspellings and such, but I thought that it might help to promote further research on the subject.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
the navy's area 51 is not in conus

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
China Lake as mentioned is one esp for aircraft type weapons.

The US navy also has a few places in the pacific where they no doubt can test things. I believe that the Missile research facilities on the island of Kauaii used to be navy but could be wrong.

One funny note came from ben rich's autobio. When they were testing the Sea Shadow, they build a small salt water pool out in the Mojave to simulate the ocean and placed a Soviet search radar onto of a ridge nearby to simulate that. The problem was that the wild horses could smell the salt and came running from all over to get at it.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hmm could the navy's area 51 be the AUTEC facility near the andros islands?

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've never been there, but the Navy has a facility they call the "centroid." It might be
39°19'22.27"N 118°13'26.36"W
Check out
www.clui.org...

I can't find a photo of the centroid on the net at the moment, but it looks similar to
www.lazygranch.com...
I think this is a Soviet low blow radar.

I have some good and not so good photos of Soviet radar from S-4.
www.lazygranch.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophobe

The correct spelling of the name of the lake is actually Pend O'Reille

I don't usually correct people on misspellings and such, but I thought that it might help to promote further research on the subject.

Thanks, I just Googled up the spelling on the name from what I heard on the video. I didn't expect there would be too many lakes with a name similar in the same state, so I assumed I had the right lake. I'm glad you corrected the mistake. I'd much rather have accurate information.

[edit on 1-1-2008 by LazyGuy]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogHead
The US Navy's Area 51 might be off the coast of the continental US even... Maybe near Andros...

Are you talking about Andros island of the Bahamas? Seems rather unlikely they would install a top secret naval installation on foreign land.

What about catalina island just off the californian coast? I believe they got an auxiliary naval station there and lots of ufo stories have emerged in that general area. Also, if you look at a california sectional map you will see many flying restrictions, much like at nellis/groom lake.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by EarthCitizen07]

new topics

top topics

join