It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Views on Melchizedek?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I would like to expand my knowledge of this Biblical figure. I understand that different groups, Christian denominations and religions have different views of this person. Specifically I am seeking responses from the following groups:

1) Mainstream Protestant denominations including fundamentalists, evangelicals, etc.

2) Catholics

3) Masons

4) Mormons, including fundamentalist Mormons, LDS, RLDS

5) Orthodox Christians

6) Coptic Christians

7) Jews, including conservative, humanistic, orthodox, reconstructionist, reform, zionists, cabalists

8) Any other group I have left out which has views of Melchizedek should feel free to express their opinions.

I am seeking this information to use purely for my own purposes so that I can draw my own conclusion. Please refrain from presenting your views as the only right view and do not attack others for their views. This is common courtesy and I think everyone can express their opinions without being critical of others.

Arius

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The King of Salem, Melchizedek, could have really been Shem, who was one of the three sons of Noah. Melchizedek was both high priest and king of Salem. The Israelite nation never had a king who was also a high priest. One king tried to perform priestly duties but was eventually punished by God for his actions. The future ruler of Israel was to become like Melchizedek by being both high priest and king. Christendom believes that to be Jesus.

I wonder if the Islamic religion believes in the ancient Melchizedek?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The Urantia Book shows Melchizedek to be plural, and they are a sect of higher understanding beings that are sent to earth to enlighten the masses.

Moreover, the classic representation of Melchizedek is said to be a named charactor in the Urantia Book.

There is a full paged document writen by/to Melchizedek found in The Nag Hammadi Library, hidden scrolls found like the deadseascrolls, and it sheads light onto the charactor that was on earth.

www.gnosis.org...

Moreover, there are several generalized comments on/about Melchizedek to be found in both sets of scrolls.

[edit on 30-12-2007 by Incarnated]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The Book of Jubilies, that happens to be one of the Dead Sea Scrolls, mentions Melchizedek being Shem. I did the math once and figured out from Genisis, that Shem would have been alive during the time of Abraham. John Hyracanus, a contemporary of Herod the Great, was the last of the Preist Kings from the Hasmonian Dynisty. The Machabees were of the High Preistly order. They defeated the Greeks and set up their dynisty. Hyracanus had the power to fortell the future, see things far away and heal the sick.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by arius

Hi arius/
~The Old Testament Regarding
the Messiah~

Melchizedek is a prototype of Christ in the Old Testament....

An example of this..... the priest-king of Salem, who offered bread and wine to Abraham (Genesis 14:18)
and who is seen as a type of Christ not only by the Fathers but even in the New Testament itself (Hebrews 5:6; 7:l)
the prototype of the Son of God, the eternal priest, see Hebrews chapter 7)
Read more

hope that helps.

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
One interesting thing to note regarding this man is his name.

His name appears to be a combination of two words in Hebrew.

Melech (King) and Zedek (Righteous).

Being that the Old Testament teaches that Salem became Jerusalem it is certainly of interest to see someone in the time of Abraham being called the Righteous King of Jerusalem... The longevity of people of that time does make it possible that Shem (son of Noah) would have been alive at this time, but what confuses me is that the biblical priests as we've come to know them are descendants of Aaron, brother of Moses, who were both clearly not born yet. Perhaps a different kind of priest king then?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

but what confuses me is that the biblical priests as we've come to know them are descendants of Aaron, brother of Moses, who were both clearly not born yet. Perhaps a different kind of priest king then?

Hi,
What are you confused about?
Now you got me confused???
Different kind of priest King?
hmmm,
The Old Testament Kings were always Godly people....
wow, now I'm confused as to what it is that you are confused about.....may have to answer you 'Next Year'!

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
The Machabees were of the High Preistly order.

Actually, no. They were not of the Levite priesthood which is the only approved human priestly line according to the laws of Moses.

Melchizedek was not the king of Jerusalem but of Salem - which means 'peace' - and Jerusalem means 'vision of peace.' This was long before Jerusalem existed as inhabited by the Jebusites before David invaded and took the city.

Melchizedek had no mother or father; he was a prior incarnation of Jesus and he wrote the book of Job (which is the oldest book in the canon).

He IS of a different priestly line than the human one descended from Aaron: immortal rather than mortal.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Melchizedek is a spooky figure. The name, as one person already pointed out, means King of Zedek or My King is Zedek. Zedek is also an ancient term for the planet Jupiter. The word itself Zedek, also Tzedek, can mean righteousness or justice.

It is said he is the Priest of El Elyon or the G-d Most High. Some have interpreted this to mean that Zedek is a Jubusite deity associated with Jupiter. Throughout the Tanakh though Tzedek refers to Righteousness

On the other hand here's my interpretation. Lets look at the term and the figure. Melchizedek or Malki-Tzedek: The term Melchi or Malki is variant of Melek, meaning King. The Arabic term Malik means the same thing.

Tzedek in Hebrew often means Justice and Righteousness. Tzedek can be seen as a Way or Path, the Right Path or Way in Life. People that follow this path are known as the Tzadikim or Tzedekim. The Arabic Term Saddiq has a similar meaning.

So we have one who is named King of Righteousness and Justice, but not just any old Righteous Justice, but the Way or Path of Tzedek. Like I said this is a concept unto itself, in the same way Bushido is a concept unto itself that can be expressed vaguely in English.

In addition not only is he King of Tzedek, he is King of Shalem. This could be a twofold meaning, which would include the City of Shalem, Yeru-Shalem and the Concept of Shalem itself, which like Tzedek is a concept unto itself and not simply Peace. Shalem is a type of wholeness and harmony.

Exploring this King of Tzedek and Shalem further, we find that he blessed Abraham and and Abraham tithes or gives tribute unto him. In Psalms we begin to unravel the mystery of Melchizedek. Psalm 110:4 mentions King David as a Priest in the Order or Way of Melchizedek.

This when we get to the Spooky stuff. What is this Way or Order of Melchizedek? What about the Order of Aaron and the Kohenim? Remember the term Tzedek? Remember I said that Way of Tzedek is manifest in the Tzadikim or Tzedekim, these are the Just or Righteous Ones. In a manner of speaking the Tzedekim are much more than just the Righteous Ones. The Tzadikim are Miracle Workers, the Masters of the Name.

The Dead Sea Scrolls go even further. Melchizedek is said to be Lord over the Sons of Light against the Sons of Darkness. From the Dead Sea Scrolls we can surmise that Melchizedek is an Immortal. It also links Melchizedek with Psalms 82 and the Judgement of the Elohim, Sons of Elyon, who are threatened with Mortality and Death by the Lord G-d. G-d mentions the Elohim will fall like the Sarim, the Princes, and they walk in Darkness. It links this Psalm, the fall and judgement, to an Apocalyptic War prophesied to occur between the Sons of Light and the Sons of Darkness.

More than likley these Sons of Light are the Tzedekim and Order of Melchizedek of whom David, King of Israel, is a Priest of.

In addition, the Talmud and Kabbalistic Lore mention the existence of Lamed Vav Tzadikim or Tzadikim Nistarim. These are 36 very special Tzadikim who are hidden and concealed from the world. According to Tradition, even if the Whole earth descended into barbarism and wickedness, G-d would spare humanity on behalf of their existence.

In essence, when all the information is correlated, what we have is Melchizedek is a Celestial being, possibly a Ben Elyon, who is the King of Tzedek and Shalem. In addition he is the Hierarch of an Order, a Secret Society of Tzadikim, probably the Nistarim or Concealed Ones, who struggle against the Fallen Sarim, Beni Elohim, Beni Elyon, and their human servants that rule over the Seventy Nations that humanity was divided into from Deuteronomy 32:8. These same beings, princes and chiefs, held back Gabriel in the Biblical book of Daniel. Gabriel was then rescued by Michael the Prince of Israel, the only one of the Seventy Sarim who is Just. Other Princes and Celestials are mentioned throughout the Bible, but that is another topic altogether.

I could extrapolate further, but I'll wait for some questions and thoughts.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
the OP did not ask for any pagans to respond, but here's my 2 bits anyhow,

reply to post by MikeboydUS

the very first line tells it all... He is a Spooky Figure !!

that Melchizedek spirit is the metaphysical counterpart to the worldly line of the priestly-kings.
also representative of the 'miracle worker', the 'magician' (as it were), the archtype which preceeded the christians 'Christ'...

Melchizedek is the 'Mystery' element in that belief system for all eternity...
no matter how profoundly the kabbalist elevates their knowledge & understanding of the spiritual realms interacting with the mundane world.
there will always remain the mysterious order/line of Melchizedek
just beyond the reach of understanding

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I can agree with that idea, the metaphysical archetype of the Noble Wise Elder who initiates the chosen into mysteries and wisdom, often imitated (manifest?) in myth and fiction.

Like the Archetype in myth and fiction it is an initiation on a Path or in an Order in a struggle against Darkness. The Initiates are heroes who face the Darkness and prevail.

[edit on 31/12/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks Helen, lostinspace, and jmdewey60. I recall the name in the Old Testament and mention in the New, but really appreciate the concise reference and discussion here.

The most I knew was he was considered a great high priest so when Jesus came and was said to be greater than him the people were astonished. In other words, the Jesus they were looking at was greater than any legendary or epic figure in Hebrew history. I don't think the term means much to us these days. We hadn't continued the verbatim oral traditions as was the custom then. We would have an easier time saying Jesus Christ was greater than Moses, Martin Luther King, or Mother Theresa.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hi Helen,

Didn't mean to confuse you with my confusion!

The part I was referring to was this quote:

Melchizedek was both high priest and king of Salem. The Israelite nation never had a king who was also a high priest.

I was looking at it from the perspective of later on in the Bible where it was clear that the Kings of Israel could absolutely not be Priests. The reason for that was because the Kings were of the tribe of Judah and the Priests were of the tribe of Levi.

The Davidic line of kings traced back directly to Judah and the High Priests traced directly back to Aaron who was a great grandson of Levi.

The mention of someone who was both had always confused me because as I understand it he was the only person the bible legitimately referred to as holding both of these positions. As indicated above, there were kings who attempted both but were not considered legitimate.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Tzedek in Hebrew often means Justice and Righteousness. Tzedek can be seen as a Way or Path, the Right Path or Way in Life. People that follow this path are known as the Tzadikim or Tzedekim. The Arabic Term Saddiq has a similar meaning.

Dear MikeboydUS,

what a fascinating post. Really enjoyed it! And come think of it, isn't it amazing that the actor Alexander Siddig (who is part Arab) has the same last name? Heck, he can be a descendant of Melchizedek!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If we start from the new beginning after the flood. Canaan, was cursed and Shem received the blessing. According to the blessing, Shem received a higher status than the the other two. As Noah said, GOD shall enlarge Japheth and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem, and Canaan shall be his servant.

It paints the picture that ALL were placed under Shem. From my rough calculations. Shem would have had a few years of life left at the point when, then Abram, met with Melchizedek, to receive his blessing.

He certainly wouldn't have given tithes to just any average Joe, now would he?

It does seem more plausible that he would have given tithes to the most blessed son of Noah. While then receiving the blessing from him to carry on.

I just can't bring myself to believe that he is some mysterious and or reincarnated character.

Follow the blessing. Adam, Seth, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, ....... Jesus Christ.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
According to the genealogy in the bible, Shem was only 8 years younger than Abraham, and Noah lived another 117 years after Abraham was born.

And from Hebrews, chapter 7:

1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;
3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.
5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

He could not have been Shem since Shem DID have a mother and father.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
He could not have been Shem since Shem DID have a mother and father.

Does "President of the United States" have a mother or father?

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

According to the genealogy in the bible, Shem was only 8 years younger than Abraham, ......

Noah begat Shem 1556 after Adam. When he was 500, and also Ham and Japheth.

Shem begat Arphaxad two years after the flood, which would have landed around 1658 after Adam.

35 Years later Arphaxad begat Salah.

30 Years later Salah begat Eber

34 Years later Eber begat Peleg

30 Years later Peleg begat Reu

32 Years later Reu begat Serug

30 Years later Serug begat Nahor

29 Years later Nahor begat Terah

70 Years later Terah begat Abram

Now compare that to Genesis 11:10-32.

Shem was born when Noah was 500. That was 100 years before the flood.

As says Genesis 11:10 one would tack on two years starting with Arphaxad. That lands somewhere around 1948 after Adam when Abram is born. Shem being 390/392 years old when Abram is born.

These figures may not be 110% perfect, so do compare them closely with what's written first.

and Noah lived another 117 years after Abraham was born.

As states Genesis 9:29 Noah lived 950 years. That would have him dieing when Abram is age 58. Shem would have outlived Abraham. Shem it appears outlived Abraham 33/35** years. Give or take a couple.

As states Genesis 25:7* Abraham died at 175. From 1948 after Adam to 2123 would be his lifetime. Shem's would span from 1556 to 2156. As Shem lived to be 600/602 depending on how one counts Genesis 11:10-11.

Hope these figures ain't too erroneous. So check them.

[edit]
fixed an err, should be less buggy.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by WiseSheep]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseSheep

I did the calculation years ago, when I had more patience for such things. Shem was alive when Abraham came to Cannan. Also Abraham was his direct decendent by eldest son, to eldest son, from Shem.
I believe that the writer of Hebrews was repeating the myth of Melchizadek when he wrote about him not having parents. You have to imagine the world after the flood that had no knowledge of a time that he was not alive. He would have seemed like someone who was not a normal person, as they knew of. I think Hebrews was trying to make a point about Jesus being raised from the dead to being immortal.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep
I just can't bring myself to believe that he is some mysterious and or reincarnated character.

What is impossible with man, is possible with the Almighty God.

Peace

[edit on 1-1-2008 by HIFIGUY]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join