It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What creatures lurk in the deep sea?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

a reply to the first vid on the slow moving big ass shark....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

I highly doubt its a basking shark (and still not a megalodon). The gills are clearly visible in the video and one of the distinct features of the basking shark is large gills: this shark has small gills.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by merka]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Nice subject

Have a look at this;

Bloop

Theres some weird stuff down there I think

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Nice subject

Have a look at this;

Bloop

Theres some weird stuff down there I think

I think it was "debunked" that the bloop storys are in fact a viral campaign for the movie Cloverfield!But i may be wrong...

Cloverfield trailer & info
See also this ATS topics:

Bloop, viral campaign1?

Bloop, viral campaign 2?

[edit on 6/1/08 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If thats a basking shark in the first video then it must be one hell of a new family because it looks nothing like a basking shark even with its mouth shut. It looks more like a predatory shark because of the streamlined front. You sure about that movie because if it does turn out to be a movie i'm gonna be really annoyed because it would be so cool to see something bigger than the blue whale don't ya think?? What about a mosasour staying alive and yes i know about the spelling mistakes.

New zealand rule

Megalodon lives hehe

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
I think it was "debunked" that the bloop storys are in fact a viral campaign for the movie Cloverfield!But i may be wrong...

No...the film used the Bloop as a hook, but the bloop itself is a real thing, going back to 1997. Google it

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm sure there are still species in the ocean that are yet to be discovered, as for size I don't think they will be to much larger than a normal shark or something, depending on what the species is of course. But also imagine the pressure that would be at that depths.

Heres some articals that I remember reading about in my local paper.

Its a pity there was not a person in the photo so for size referance. But then again I would get to close.
Colossal squid is catch of the day

Not much of a beast or creature, but a rare species.
This one is for fisherman

This is just something I thought was pretty cool.
Squid kills shark

I hate going into the ocean, the whole can't see anything around you and the fact we are in the food chain instead of being on top kinda puts me out a bit. Give me a pool anyday.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yeah i watched that pretty awesome. Ok not sure about any of you guys but shark week is about to start so i'm gonna watch it all or as much shark programs as a human being can watch. What about antartic creatures and say this large crack in the sea floor or cave that links the underearth sea with our ones what would happen if an earth quake destroyed it??

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
What lurks deep in the ocean? I dont think there is an answer to that question. Sure there are Giants, but there are also Ancients. THe discovery of a Ceolocanth was an astonishing blow to science along with the Megamouth shark.
in 2007, The crew of Monster Quest captured a record breaking new squid on video. found in the following link
www.youtube.com...
the quality is rather poor, but it's the only one on Youtube. the experts are saying that if this thing is a Humboldt squid, it is the size of an Architeuthis (giant squid) and if it is an Architeuthis, it is the size of the largest known animal in existence, the Blue whale.

Another amazing discovery in 2007, was of the Frilled Shark. another ancient species. The video can be found here
www.youtube.com...
I wouldn't recommend the video to animal lovers, because shortly after the video was taken, the shark died.
there is also another completely unknown shark filmed in late 2006. here is the video.
www.youtube.com...
The video is in Japanese. The shark was filmed in the Mariana Trench. Many people say this thing is a Greenland shark, But this doesn't add up too well.
As for another amazingly unknown oceanic phenomena, was "bloop". A sound picked up multiple times in 1997. It hasn't been heard since then. here is an article. Unfortunately, due to vandals, the article has been reduced to a mere stub.
en.wikipedia.org...
The sound was emitted over 4800 km. away from where it was picked up by sensors under the ocean used to record soviet submarines.
TRIVIA: the sound was located amazingly close to where the Nightmare Corpse city of R'lyeh is supposedly locatde according to H.P Lovecraft. this of course, it complete fiction. The location in relation to the lost city is completely coincidental. The origin of Bloop, is still unknown. to hear Bloop as close as it would have sounded from the emission point, thanks to Bloopwatch.com, we have the Clip from NOAA, slowed down 16 times.
this clip has noise reduction applied, and is a rather large file (2.5 MEGS )
www.bloopwatch.org...

So the Ocean has so many undiscovered mysteries about it, and some of them, it's only a matter of time before they are discovered.

Imagine what we'll find next.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbra Sideralis

yes. You are WAY wrong.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darcey
I hate going into the ocean, the whole can't see anything around you and the fact we are in the food chain instead of being on top kinda puts me out a bit. Give me a pool anyday.

Put you out? Its scares the living s**t out of me. Probably because I think way to much in 3D. I think of the immense distance to the sea floor and everything possible in between... Monsters maybe. Yeah, that's the foundation of legends

[edit on 7-1-2008 by merka]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Just imagine what will the next shark look like? It would be cool if a mosasour was still alive!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Just imagine what will the next shark look like? It would be cool if a mosasour was still alive!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
not a meg on any of the vids but no doubt in mind either a beast as big as a meg or indeed the meg itselve is still down there

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Ok just been watching the monster quest episode where they search for giant squid by attaching a camera to a humbolt (Don't know if i've spelt that right hehe) and what they found was truely amazing. They found that the squids are well aware of each other and behave as if they work together in a community. Some squids attacked the camera but not the actual squid. Then at 1000 feet, the squid began to change colours to red and white rapidly. Then out of no where appears a massive squid with suction cups the circumference of coffee mugs. This shows intelligence and massive creatures still not found. This episode was filmed in the sea of Cortez.

Heres the link. Yets its part 5 so watch the videos in order.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
yea that squid is HUGE,it was like something from a movie.anyways the "bloop" sound really intreges me because researchers said it was made from an animal but the animal would have to be twice as large as the blue whale.i dont think we are dealing with sharks or 100 foot squids for that.i think it is a totally new form of giant marine life that lives iin depths of over 15000 feet.anyone have anything in response to that?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I just finished reading "Descent", by Brad Matsen, which chronicles the Bathysphere adventures of William Bebe and Otis Barton.

These two men descended half a mile into the ocean, supported only by a thin cable. Prior to that, the deepest any human had ever traveled beneath the ocean was a mere 300 feet, using heavy diving gear.

The bathysphere itself was a small spherical craft with only a five-foot internal diameter, cramped for one person, and nearly intolerable for two. The maximum depth was limited by the enormous weight of cable overhead, needed to drag the fortified sphere up from the crushing ocean depth. For anyone suffering from claustrophobia, it must have been a nightmare, to be locked in the Bathysphere for hours, lowered to alien depths, unknown to any living human, in utter blackness of the deep.

During these various dives, Bebe reported in detail various new species, and first observed bio-luminescence in fish. Some of these species of fish have never been seen since. To help find financing, Bebe and Barton actually made a live national radio broadcast, via a phone link, sponsored by the newly formed “National Geographic Society”, founded by Alexander Graham Bell.

The year of this record setting adventure: 1932. The record was unmatched for nearly 15 years.

#

In 1960, the Bathyscape “Trieste” reached the deepest point on the earth's surface, the “Challenger Deep”, at more than 35 THOUSAND feet. In doing so, Jacques Piccard and Don Walsh became the only humans ever to travel to that extreme depth.

No living human has ever returned to that abysmal depth again, even 48 years later.

Edit: Fix spelling ("Descent" includes an "s", go figure...)

[edit on 10-3-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I believe that there is a whole new different type of marine life in the deepest parts of the ocean. Everytime somebody explores the deep they find a new species of sea creatures. And to live at those depths the creatures are probably very odd looking.

There has to be huge prehistoric monsters down there, if they are away from everything I highly doubt that they would go extinct, it would be much easier for them to survive than any land dwelling dinosaurs.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
As Seiju says " Its'a the metabolism stupid" well Seiju actually says Boa's and Anaconda's only need to eat once every month or so.. C Megladon can grow to enourmous size as long as its metabolism is miniscule, keeping its food sources from being depleted.

A video of a six gill shark www.vanaqua.org...
another in my neck of the woods
www.scienceblog.com...

This six-gill shark (Hexanchus) was filmed during a submersible dive off the northeast coast of Molokai at a depth of 1000m (3280ft). The 2 red laser dots are 6 inches apart, resulting in a length of about 18 ft for the shark.
Great ecstatic live commentary by University of Hawaii Oceanography Professor Jeff Drazen!
Many thanks to Dr. Craig Smith (University of Hawaii) and Dr. Eric Vetter for permitting release of this footage which was obtained as part of their research data set"

C. Megladon is rumored to be over 50 feet long

Estimating the maximum size of C. megalodon is a highly controversial subject. However, in 1996 three shark experts, M. D. Gottfried, Leonard Compagno and S.C. Bowman, tried to solve this issue by developing a special method for measuring the size of sharks (including megalodon) with much greater accuracy, which was published in 1996. a[›] Using this new method, the maximum size of this creature was calculated to be 15.9 metres (52 ft) long with a body mass of more than 40 tons.[9] But this calculation was based on a 168 mm (6.61 inch) long upper anterior tooth, which was the biggest tooth in the possession of these shark experts at the time. Since then, even larger C. megalodon teeth have been excavated which indicate that this creature could actually grow to more than 17 metres (56 ft) long.

By eagle1229 at 2008-03-10

Megalodon tooth from the Miocene era. Dimensions: 13 cm (5.1") straight, 18 cm (7.1")
in diagonal.

As far as Krakens they are two or three species larger than Colossus squids.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I think there are all types of creatures in the sea some thought to be long extinct and some undiscovered. Its my opinion that the reason why dolphins and whale beach them selves is because of man with all the ships, boats and deep sea drilling. It throws off the dolphins and whales sonar so they're basically swimming blind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join