It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Populace Burning British Surveillance Cameras

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Angry Populace Burning British Surveillance Cameras

"Motorists Against Detection, the vigilante anti-speed camera group have announced a summer of MADness which will see them target for destruction all speed cameras in the UK. It’s now going to be a period of zero tolerance against all speed cameras, said their campaigns director Capt Gatso.

The group says it has perfected a new and quick way of destroying speed cameras which will enable them to destroy a roadside camera in just a few seconds...

More...

I think it's safe to assume many arrests will be forthcoming...

Thought I'd share.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
i agree with the message they are sending but not with their methods.
of course this is probably the only way you could get the message across since they (govt) ignore any outrage they create anyway.

its one thing to put them in known black spots but most are for blatant revenue raising and nothing more.

[edit on 30/12/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
that picture is a gatso cam... a speed camera, not a surveillance camera as such.

the brits have been vandalising gatso cams for years ... see MANY examples here

i happened to go & visit my home town in the uk for 1 day over xmas and was shocked at the size of the chubb security cam that had been installed in the town square - the cable coming from it was thicker than my wrist and i have NEVER seen a security camera housing so large before - not even in london where i lived for almost half my life. i betting it has voice recording and probably facial recognition stuff installed in it because that was not a normal security camera. it was being moved independently as we watched it tracking people as they walked by and it moved in every direction. wish i'd taken a pic of it now to show you all.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

Any facial or number plate recognition would be done at the control centre. As for the movement you describe, it is probably remote controlled from the control centre so that operators can home in on trouble makers and film them up to no good whilst the police get to the scene.

Have you not watched Street Wars on Sky One?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to
Have you not watched Street Wars on Sky One?

nope - on account of the fact i don't live in the uk nor watch much tv anymore.

i have seen other surveillance cams which are independently moved but never one in such a huge cover or with such a thick cable coming from it before. perhaps you could show examples of current types of uk cams

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

There's many different types. In town centres, they will be local Authority controlled and will probably be moveable as well. Then there are the Congestion cameras in London which have the number plate recognition system. And, of course, the infamous Gatso's which catch speeding drivers.

The vast bulk (90%) of CCTV in the UK is privately owned by businesses and homes. It's not quite the big brother society we're painted as, you know.

A google search on UK Surveillance Cameras gives squillions of pictures of the different types.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Heh, we have vans here with a camera on top. They are clearly marked as surveillance cameras so I think they are used more as a deterrent than as a spy cam which is fine by me.

As someone else pointed out, those are speed cams, they are automatic and only take a snap when someone is speeding past it. They are not spy or surveillance cams.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

There has to be evidence for people to be arrested, and I can not see many motorists giving evidence to the police if they see a speed camera being attacked. I would certainly have dirt in my eye if I was asked.

Speed cameras at accident black spots to help with road safety I 100% agree with but I see cameras that are located just to catch speeding motorists.

We only have ourselves to blame as we elected Governments that are committed to taxing us further.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
the brits have been vandalising gatso cams for years ... see MANY examples here

I see they're mounted on big steel posts at least.. When they first started installing speed cameras in my hometown, they were tripod mounted portable jobs. An extraordinary number of people happened to lose control of their vehicles and accidentally crash into the cameras that year.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I wish the M.A.D a 100% success rate in their quest.

We too have the bloody things all across my home state of Victoria, Australia.
Nothing but revenue raising devices for the Govt, plain and simple. Whats worse for us motorists in Australia, is the fact that they are aloud to HIDE the camera's wherever they see fit. Behind HWY signs, under bridges, you name it.

Unfortunately the sheeple in Australia actually support the bloody things. Instead of people destroying them, the propaganda machine has done its job well in convincing the public that the camera's save lives.
Never mind the fact that the road toll nation wide gets bigger every year, the sheeple STILL believe the Govt lies that these camera's are needed.

And the icing on the cake? In my home state you get booked for being 3kmh over the limit!
Its such a blatant scam for raising revenue it aint funny. 3kmh over the limit. You know how many "minor" accidents this causes, due to the fact of people rear ending each other due to spending SO much time watching their speedo's instead of thr road. Its ridicules! Not to mention the fact that nearly all speedo's are out by a few KMH anyway, so you end up with most people driving UNDER the speed limit to avoid being fined. Which in turn frustrates drivers, and just 2 nights ago their was a TV special about the epidemic called Road Rage.

Driving USE to be a pleasure. Now it is a constant pain in the arse, filled with paranoia. Paranoia? yup because time and time again the camera's have been proven to be wrong/faulty and there's been a number of times, when its SO blatantly obvious that the Govt has had to refund 100's of thousands $$$ in fines issued by faulty speed camera's.

Personally if they were set up in black spots known for fatalities I wouldn't have a problem with the camera's. But they are money machines for the Govt - even if you dont speed, these camera's can book you, and you try and PROVE you weren't speeding .....

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A good excerpt here with some facts and figures.

I was preparing a rant on how irresponsible these MAD b'stards are, but then I done a bit o research and it turns out the cameras have done nothing for the safety of our roads. In fact it looks as if the cameras could even be a cause for the increase we have seen since their inception.

Looks like we need invest in more traffic police and further education for young/inexperienced drivers.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
They could always try this instead!

Speed cameras do not improve road safety, it's been proved. I couldn't find the top gear interview with the (then) transport minister where good old JC makes him look like a bit of a cock. So I put this one up!

MonKey

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It is madness, the madness of an over zealot government wanting to know every single movement of every citizen.

I want the same done here in the US citizens needs to raise up and fight the government back.

Oh
I forgot in American you will be jailed for domestic terrorism.

down with fascism.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
All people do is jam on the brakes and then speed up once they have gone past them, that is the cause for more accidents rather than safely driving at increased speeds.

A similar thing happens on motor racing circuits where all the accidents happen at chicanes and the corners were safer before they were introduced.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
One argument against speeding limits and camera's could be to look at Germany and their autobahns. No speed limits, or if there is one, it's like 120Mph. An extremely safe driving environment over there.

However, regardless what the limit is, people should stick to it.

You say:

All people do is jam on the brakes and then speed up once they have gone past them, that is the cause for more accidents rather than safely driving at increased speeds.

Now, had they been sticking to the limit in the first place, there would be no need to "jam on the brakes", ergo, there would be no accidents from people back ending each other due to trying to avoid the camera's.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

(((Giving them lots of spare time to wander around with big jugs of petrol and huge flammable tires to be flung round the necks of videocams.)))

blog.wired.com...

So one tosses a burning tire over the camera... problem solved.

Interesting.

It seems to me the upcoming years will be the period in which individuals will be taking matters into their own hands... for the sake of what they, in their hearts, believe to be right.

Hmm.

Not that I suggest such of course
No clear and present danger here... at ease soldier. We're south of Billings Learned Hand. I much perfer the category of crazy soothsayer over militant commander
Either way the board is set, pieces in motion.

You might enjoy this thread I began last year:

Why haven't you joined the Taleban?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"a cell of individuals devoted to God and determined to end the tyranny felt by believers through whatever machiavellian means necessary"
[]
If Uncle Sam is supporting the wrong agenda. Why would you give your body to be his foot soldier?
[]
What happened to the archetype of Robin Hood prince of theives?
[]
If you think your state-run military is furthering the objectives of multinationals;

NOT your people.

Why do you not sabotage their plans?

my mighty pen,

Sri Oracle

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I wish them the best of luck
Hope they are successful

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think the increased surveillance is evidence that western society is going to pot. Not only will the surveillance document the decay, it will also document the results of the decay. Madness followed by even more madness. A dark idea but if everything was hunky-dory and improving, I'd think we'd be seeing less and less surveillance methods, not more.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
people are vastly annoyed by speed cameras in the uk because they are everywhere, we largely see our police force as a debt collecting agency because when it comes to crime they are absolutely no where to be seen unless its high profile or involves the paying of a fine. people should not speed fullstop and its their own fault of course but money is being made hand over fist with fines and where does all this cash go there are some cameras that make millions alone in 1 year yet road tax goes up there adding tolls to enter certain roadways and cities, where is the cash being used

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve
where is the cash being used

It goes into revenue coffers for redistribution amongst the system.

Public spending in the UK accounts for almost 40% of the GDP and is rising. Tax revenues are not increasing at the same rate as spending, so they need any extra revenue they can muster. Even now, the budget is slightly in deficit.

You have to choose between paying for all the services we are used to, or not paying so much and getting little back from the State.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join