It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

37,000-Year-Old Baby Mammoth Carcass Arrives in Japan for Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

37,000-Year-Old Baby Mammoth Carcass Arrives in Japan for Study

www.foxnews.com

TOKYO — The frozen carcass of a 37,000-year-old baby mammoth unearthed this summer in Siberia arrived in Japan on Saturday for tests that researchers hope will shed new light on the internal structure of the ancient beasts, an official said.

The 4-foot gray-and-brown carcass arrived at Tokyo International Airport on Saturday afternoon, said Mitsuyoshi Uno, an official with the joint Russo-Japanese mammoth-study project that is overseeing the research.

Discovered in May by a reindeer herder in northern Siberia's remote Yamal-Nenets region,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Mammoth skull with clumps of hair found in texas

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The 37,000 year old body of a woolly mammoth is being taken to Japan to undergo CT scan to determine the organ structure. Let me guess, the organ structure will look a lot like that of the modern elephant??

For those of you in Japan, the carcus and scan images are scheduled to go on display January 4th in Tokyo.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

elephant/mammoth 37,000 years old ?can they (the experts) be sure that this is the correct age ? books i have read on carbon dating say that with pole reversals of earth and the sun and cataclysmic events that have occurred by near earth and direct earth encounters of heavenly bodies that carbon dating is not as accurate as once thought----outside forces/bodies bring in their radiation with them and skew the "reality" our experts believe they look at.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Textelephant/mammoth 37,000 years old ?can they (the experts) be sure that this is the correct age ?
reply to post by yahn goodey

I agree. Perhaps they dated based on other methods such as the age of rocks and fossils found adjacent to the mammoth. This article on "Accuracy of Fossil and Dating Methods" discusses current methods.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
thanks plumranch for the link to accuracy of fossil dating methods--as it says :carbon 14's accuracy is good to 70,000 years, so i assume thats the method they have used in conjunction with the animals surroundings at time of death.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Probably it's more like it's to be believed 37,000 years old, hence the meaning of a theory.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Have a read of this, it might help you understand C-14 dating a bit better.

As someone else has already stated, C-14 dating is accurate enough to be able to measure the age of this animal. Provided you have biological material to test and a comparison point of the atmospheric level of C-14 at around the same time, you can be pretty accurate.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
tnks stumason----its just as i suspected---objects from outer space can bring into the atmosphere/biosphere a dramatic increase in the level of c14 than we presently have---thus making it falsely appear that the subject being checked for age to appear much much older than it really is-in other words that "elephant" might only be really 4460 years old or there abouts

top topics

join