It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypersoar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
well... I found out yesterday (from a pack of Top Trump cards... original, right? ) that there is a new project underway in the US to make a hypersoar aircraft. The card says that its max speed is 6700mph, its max height is 130,000ft and its wingspan is 25 meters

It doesnt tell you much, and I know finding it out from a pack of kiddies' cards isn't exactly fantastic but can anyone give me anymore information on the plane at all?

Anything would be helpful at this point

Thanks, Laura x

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Google is your friend

www.google.com...

www.fas.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thanks, I don't mean this offensively but I'm actually not that stupid...

I have looked on Google, Yahoo and most of the search engines but seeing as all of you guys seem to know where to get obscure websites I thought that there might be more info on that...

Laura x

[edit on 30-12-2007 by -LauraLou-]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
-LauraLou-

Hypersoar, yea sorry but id have to agree with FredT:

We know your not stupid, but here is a list of websites that i found about "Hypersoar"

www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/hypersoar.htm

www.llnl.gov/str/Carter.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersoar

www.geocities.com/spacetransport/hypersoar.html

Theres a million more on... yea you guessed it - www.google.com

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I don't really have much to say regarding the HyperSoar as it's still a concept. I don't know, might be exciting to cross the Pacific in 2 hours. *shrugs*

anyways, just wanted to post the info below for public consumption.

The HyperSoar is a hypersonic aircraft concept designed by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory engineer Preston Carter. It is capable of flying at around Mach 12 (9200 MPH), allowing it to transit between any two points on the globe in under two hours. The HyperSoar is predicted to be a passenger plane capable of skipping outside the atmosphere.

Wiki

X-43A/Hyper-X
HyperSoar Technology Demonstrator

History

Project Summary, Background and Objectives

Hyper-X Movie Archive

Images

On 16 November, 2004, NASA's unmanned Hyper-X (X-43A) aircraft reached Mach 9.6. The X-43A was boosted to an altitude of 33,223 meters (109,000 feet) by a Pegasus rocket launched from beneath a B52-B jet aircraft. The revolutionary 'scramjet' aircraft then burned its engine for around 10 seconds during its flight over the Pacific Ocean.

Link

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
A wave riding civilian derivative of the "Aurora" family of aircraft.
It has all of the conceptual hallmarks, speeds in excess of 6000 mph, pressure wave riding to skip along the upper atmosphere at very high altitudes.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Ok i have the top trump cards or at least i used to and the idea is abit stupid about reaching space and bombing a country halfway round the world from it.
The idea is stupid and would cost to much. They should really put the money there spending on this piece of crap to the new NASA shuttle redevelopment because space warfare is a long way away.
Plus its weapons would be too dangerous to launch over any allied country. Its gonna get so much oposition from scientists etc.
I think its just gonna be a pretty picture on a card just to make kids get excited. It's a mistake plenty of people can make.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A friend of mine who works @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory spoke to Preston Carter who initially headed up the HyperSOAR project for DARPA.

According to Mr. Carter all funding and technical resources for the HyperSOAR project is now under Lockheed's & DARPA's "FALCON" project.

According to HyperSOAR's originator, Preston Carter:

"About 4 years ago my family and I moved to Washington D.C.
for a four year tour of duty at the Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

We have recently completed this tour and have returned to LLNL.
Anyway, while I was at DARPA I was a Program Manager within the
Tactical Technology Office and was the leader of programs
related to High-Speed Flight, Space Access, and large
logistic air ships.

About 2 years ago DARPA funded a program to develop the
HyperSoar concept. Since I was too busy with other programs
like RASCAL, HyFly, Walrus, MALI, etc., DARPA gave the program
to another Program Manager (although I initially helped get the program started).

The program is called FALCON. Lockheed Skunk Works
recently won a contract to begin vehicle development.

I am still quite active in a number of high-speed vehicle
efforts, but I have stepped out of the lime light concerning
HyperSoar and my DARPA programs...

Preston"

So there you have it...

HyperSOAR = FALCON

Or more precisely: HyperSoar = Hyper-X = FALCON

AND if HyperSoar equates to FALCON then there is a direct lineage from HyperSoar to the new "Blackswift" SR-72 project which is supposedly incorporating the airframe of the scramjet powered FALCON project with the engines of the hypersonic combined cycle turbine/ramjet RATTLRS project.

HyperSoar (FALCON) + RATTLRS = Blackswift

Cool, huh?

Natalie ~

More about the Hypersonic SR-72 Blackswift here:
SR-72 Confirmed: Mach 6 Project Blackswift

[edit on 1-1-2008 by intelgurl]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
wait, maybe i'm just a bit thickheaded or something but let me get this straight.

the D-21 evolves into RATTLRS while Hyper-X will eventually become HyperSOAR and HyperSOAR + RATTLRS = FALCON (SR-72?) .. did i get that right?

and why Mach 6? they broke M9.6 way back in 2004, why are they aiming low now?

[edit on 1.1.08 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Good point why not build faster not slower? I'd like them to develop a hydrogen cell battery vehicles which can fly and stuff because the source can be renewed so easily it would mean no more obstacles for man on land and floating cities! lol *contains oneself*

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
wait, maybe i'm just a bit thickheaded or something but let me get this straight.

the D-21 evolves into RATTLRS while Hyper-X will eventually become HyperSOAR and HyperSOAR + RATTLRS = FALCON (SR-72?) .. did i get that right?

No, actually you didn't.
The appropriations for Hyper-X, HyperSoar are now in the FALCON bank account.
The SR-72 Blackswift program merely borrows the airframe from FALCON and the hypersonic turbine/ramjet from RATTLRS. RATTLRS has never achieved Mach 9 and probably never will.

and why Mach 6? they broke M9.6 way back in 2004, why are they aiming low now?

[edit on 1.1.08 by toreishi]

The Blackswift program is an attempt to fast track a hypersonic Rcce & strike platform to operations by the 2012 to 2020. If they are going to get it operational that fast then scramjewt technology is not what they need to be using. The scramjet powered X-43 Hyper-X hit around Mach 9.7, but having a scramjet on a system that should be doing flight tests by 2010 is a bit too agressive a timeline for such technology.

Natalie ~

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
oh..

right. thanks for clearing that up IG!

new topics

top topics

join