It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery container found on beach

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Here's the only other pic I've been able to find, resized. Gives a better sense of scale.

Silo, eh? Cool.

Maybe it's an asphalt hot mix silo. Like what these guys sell.

... In storage mode, the silo is completely sealed from air to prevent mix oxidation. Astec’s patented oil seal assures a perfect seal at the cone and a pneumatically operated [the tube on the side], grease-sealed gate prevents air leakage at the top of the silo. Thick insulation and hot oil [the ducts at the top and bottom] or electric heating keeps the mix warm...

Not the same silo, but about the same size at least.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It is a chilled fermentation tank or a jacketed tank, I think, if the yellow is a foam coating it is for sure it might still be one if its just painted.

Tank like that are used in the making of wine, cheese, milk products, all sorts of products that are in need of chilling or heating for that matter.

What look like rivets are actually spot welds between the inner and outer walls.
The main tank walls are on the inside they are heavier but still pretty thin 1o-14ga sheet. A layer of 18 ga sheet is laid on top of the heavier sheet and the two are spot welded together. The density of welds is determined by how much volume is required in the jacket.
After the two sheets are spot welded together, the outside edge of the thinner sheet is welded to the base sheet making a gas tight seal. The panels are then rolled into cylinders and welded together. Tops and bottoms are put on, there is most likely a manhole entrance somewhere on it, and a vent valve at the top.
When the tank is done a high pressure nitrogen tank is attached to the jacket and it is pressureized to 1400 psi. This "pops" the thinner metal outward into a jacket.
The fitting on the lower left is a standard food industry quick release tubing clamp.
Even very large tanks are very lightly built, at the company I worked at where we built tanks like that, they would test newly completed tanks, by filling them with water and letting them sit for several days and checking for leaks.
One of the knucle heads that worked there, forgot to open the vents at the top of 2 large tanks( 75' tall by 30' dia.) when he drained them and they crumpled liked beer cans from the vacuum formed by the outrushing water.
Its made from stainless steel, as is evident by the flange at the bottom, and you can see where the piping connects to the jacket on the right.
It fell off of a container ship and lost its shipping frame, but it floated cause its water tight.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It would be so cool if it suddenly opened up, and two chimps in spacesuits that spoke in English accents came out of it.

I loathe bananas.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Good call!

Fascinating description of the manufacturing process, BTW.

Starred!

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Why doesn't something like this ever happen in Finland? I'd go and get you guys tons of HQ photos, close ups etc. Probably just a silo, but interesting anyway

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
That's a used Transformer condom. No Sorry ->

If it is a silo of some sort - what was it doing in the ocean?

Did homer simpson dump it there - Unlikley

Or do they have them on ships/oil rigs?

I thought they were more of a "land" object - but as you can see, i dont know much

[edit on 30-12-2007 by JDN24]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
OH Wo0T im the WINNER - hehe look what i found.

Check the link:

fredericksburg.com...

To break it down, they are Beer Tanks! - So Simple.

EDIT: Aplogise to "punkinworks" he was the one that mentioned fermentation tanks first. Well Done "punkinworks".

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDN24
OH Wo0T im the WINNER - hehe look what i found.

Check the link:

fredericksburg.com...

To break it down, they are Beer Tanks! - So Simple.

EDIT: Aplogise to "punkinworks" he was the one that mentioned fermentation tanks first. Well Done "punkinworks".

Great find!! We have a winner!

Now for the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION....is it still full? ;-)

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Only one way to find out - Grab a knife, stick a straw in there and suck!!

Well maybe not, worth a try though, dont you think?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JDN24

thats why its damaged probably , but the knife was to small
Btw somebody should write a quick email to the news agency and tell them what it is so they can stop searching

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip - i might just do that know and see what they say

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Whoa.

Move this thread immediately to Aliens & UFOs now!

Oh well, it has a human number on it, aw I wish it was extraterrestrial object, showing on the news, that would've been awesome!

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Good job. How'd you find it?

Cool to see an undamaged one!

*(as I understand it, it's ok to link 'news' site images using the im tags.)

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Wow, how much beer does one of them hold, and does the finder get to keep it with maritime laws that allow this, and a another good question is how can they lose one, hehe?

Oh, one last question is why is German beer being sent to Coors? There got to be a NWO conspiracy somewhere in that.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

It's a fermentation tank....there's no beer in it. It's being shipped from germany.

shouldn't someone email the BBC, and let them know?

[edit on 30-12-2007 by Daedalus]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Anyone here know a lot about ocean currents and stuff? We could figure out where it likely came from.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus
shouldn't someone email the BBC, and let them know?

No need. Here's an update from BBC News
- Beach container mystery resolved

[edit on 30-12-2007 by Xeros]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hopefully it's not a septic tank...

Me and my friend once found a septic tank on a beach. It was much more obvious though...

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Found a bilge tank once, came free of a wreck. We were about to tow it within the breakwater until we began to smell it... we towed it to a derelict launch ramp, dragged it up with the crane, and called a disposal company to do the rest.

Had to apologize to the marina patrons for hours about the smell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join