It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be better if Ron Paul ran as an Independant?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm strongly for RP to be next President by any means necessary. I think he embodies what ALL the candidates should be about, let alone one man. However, the way things are going it doesn't look like he'll even sniff the Republican nomination. So my question is, do you think Paul would be better off running as an Independent so his name will at least be on the ballot, or is it more complicated then I'm thinking and he could never sever his Republican ties?

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
no, because then he wouldn't be in the nationally broadcast debates anymore.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If Paul runs Independent, get used to saying.... "Madam President"

Ross Perot anyone?

Seems to be the Clinton Strategy all over again...

Semper

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Ross Perot anyone?

Semper

I don't care what it says, if he doesn't get his name on the ballot what's the point of campaigning?

He's already popular enough to get a good amount of votes, now that his name is out there and his opinions are known what does he have to lose? Because it's obvious he's fighting a battle he can't win right now.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Ross Perot anyone?

Semper

I have to disagree on this one.

The reason Ron Paul will not do well in the Republican primaries is that his supporters are not Republicans, and can't vote for him in most states.

An Independent run by Ron Paul will attract the anti-war voters away from Mrs. Bill Clinton. The anti-war whackos will never vote for the Republican nominee.

The Ross Perot effect will backfire on the Democrats this time if Paul goes Independent.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
MAN! I hope you are right...

I just feel we should never underestimate the skulduggery of Mrs. Bill....

Unlike many on here, I feel we have a pretty good line-up of Republicans this time around and I have great hope for the future of this country...

Semper

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Presidential candidates running independent don't do well, Ron Paul best bet is to win the nomination, I think he will have a lot of support running as an independent, probably the independent candidate with most support in history but that would not be enough to get him elected IMO.

If he don't win the nomination then is going to be he's decision. Giving the amount of supporter he has he still going to be a major factor even if he doesn't win.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Oh yes how horrible it would be to have Clinton in office. I mean, remember the hell we had with the last Clinton?

Balanced Budget
3 extra WTC towers standing
600,000 extra Iraqi civillians
3,000+ extra US Troops
No civil war with US Troops and civillian getting killed in the middle of
No billions "missing" once Halliburton touched it with poisoned water and invisible meals
High Popular Rating
No revolving door at the AG and Secretary of State Positions
No Pedophile Sex Ring run out of Texas by the GOP
Untapped phones
Low Gas Prices
A legitamite President actually elected into office by the people and not the Supreme Court
A great Economy and Stock Market and lower Inflation

But yeah, can't have another Clinton in office...

Or you know, someone conservative, can't have that. I mean, an actual Conservative running for office on the GOP ticket? Blaspheme! We need cross dressing I have 3 wives divorced I let 9/11 happen Rudy or I have 3 wives never divorced flip flopping Mitt.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Look I know that it has been established that you are still in either Middle School or early High School, so some latitude is given you as far as backing up your wild speculations, but come on now!

Let the adults that were alive back then, voting and buying houses and actually supporting ourselves, continue on without some unsubstantiated rumors being slipped in...

Most of what you posted has either been debunked, debated as questionable or proven lies...

Now I usually don't respond to you due to your rabid style of accusatory and unsubstantiated posting, but being as you will soon be old enough to vote, you should maybe sit back and learn a little something and stop with the BS...

Just suggestion

Semper

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Look I know that it has been established that you are still in either Middle School or early High School, so some latitude is given you as far as backing up your wild speculations, but come on now!

Let the adults that were alive back then, voting and buying houses and actually supporting ourselves, continue on without some unsubstantiated rumors being slipped in...

Most of what you posted has either been debunked, debated as questionable or proven lies...

Now I usually don't respond to you due to your rabid style of accusatory and unsubstantiated posting, but being as you will soon be old enough to vote, you should maybe sit back and learn a little something and stop with the BS...

Just suggestion

Semper

Ah yes, insulting someone because they don't support a Neocon. I am probably older than you are. Why I know what its like to live through more then just Clinton and Bush 43. So again, keep attacking the Liberals and Conservatives and keep supporting Halliburtons puppets by declaring the COnstitution evil and other things.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I apologize if you perceived my post as an insult or attack, it was not meant to be...

I was simply replying to your post and others I have seen by you and the manner in which you post.

They say that knowledge is power and now I know..

Semper

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Ultimately, Dr. Paul will have to run as an independent. There is no way he'll get the Republican nomination. Most of us RP supporters realize this. The Republican Party is doing everything in its power to marginalize and block Dr. Paul's campaign. In the two-party system the nominee does the bidding of the party. Not the other way around. RP is not the kind of person the GOP can put a leash on.

An independent candidate is a long shot but with the current level of dissatisfaction in the population and the poor impression of Congress and the Administration there is a better chance now than at any other point in history for people to wake-up and seek real and meaningful change to the corrupt and dysfunctional status quo.

For our part, we have to do what we can. If Dr. Paul starts losing support because he doesn't get the GOP nomination then those supporters are content with business-as-usual. I don't belive that is the case. I think what you will see is a steady upswell of support for Dr. Paul as 2008 moves along. I think we are going to see a bona fide, grassroots, 'People's Candidate' for the first time in history.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
At this point I think it would just further marginalize him in the mainstream media. And whatever attention he would get would be from the various clips of him saying that he wouldn't run as an independent.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Amelie

Dr. Paul has never said he would not run as an Independent. Tim Russert tried to pigeon-hole him and he said he deserved some 'wiggle room'. What he has consistyently said is that he has no intention of running as an Independent. He belives that he has a real chance of winning the nomination because real Republicans will 'get' what he stands for. Personally I think he is naive in that regard. The GOP (like the DNC) has become its own organism that couldn't care less about its 'values' or 'principles'. It, like the DNC, is a wholly owned subsidiary of big-business.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
it is showing everyone just how many choices we really have,two thats it no more no less. i am getting so sick of the present system. we really only have one more choice than your average communist nation.how can the people just let this go on?i hope he runs as an independent cause thats his only chance.If he chooses not to i would have to question whether he truly ever really wanted to be president in the first place!Kucinich 2008!!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned we can write him in if necessary. What a humiliation THAT would be to the two parties. The system IS screwed and this is our chance to tell it as much.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm torn on whether he should run as an Independent. I would be for it if Hillary were to lose the Democratic nomination only because if she wins and he runs...oh, god I don't even want to think about the outcome. I feel the smartest thing for him to do is organize amongst his supporters suitable candidates who can be backed for congressional seats and the like. The organization is in place, the smartest thing to do would be to use it to support the next best thing and not let the revolution die!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If Paul runs as an independent in 2008, i think he'll get about 15-20 percent of the popular vote. It won't be enough to give him the presidency, but it will be enough to not have a mandate for president. You'll likely have a situation where the majority does not support the elected candidate. I think this is actually a good thing.

The kind of change this nation needs isn't about democrat or republican. It's about electing officials who are loyal to america and not themselves. Hopefully, the ron paul phenomenon will become a catalyst for well organized and efficiently-run campaigns in local elections such as the house and senate. Change happens from the ground up. Barack may be our first black president, hillary may be our first woman president. But these prospects have been knocking at the door of the white house for decades and they're just now coming to fruition.

Mobilize in your community. Use those meet up groups to elect representatives who will work for you.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Perhaps the other republican candidates should run as Independent, as their political platforms do not coincide with traditional conservative values on foreign intervention and domestic constitutionality?

en.wikipedia.org...

Conservatives believe that radical change and unproven beliefs should not be quickly implemented before being tested.

I am not sure where scattering tons of depleted urnanium dust on foreign nations to solve political problems became a proven belief of conservatives.

status quo ante bellum,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Sri Oracle]

new topics

top topics

join