It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75 Percent of Al Qaeda Network in Iraq Destroyed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

75 Percent of Al Qaeda Network in Iraq Destroyed

www.foxnews.com

BAGHDAD —  Iraq's interior ministry spokesman said Saturday that 75 percent of Al Qaeda in Iraq's terrorist network had been destroyed this year, but the top American commander in the country said the terror group remained his chief concern.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If this report is true, can you imagine how much lives, time and money could have been saved in the President, Rumsfeld or any General worth its salt had send a larger force in Iraq to begin with.

How many of the headaches with Iran, and other countries we could have avoided?

Hopefully Iraq is able to stand of their own feet soon so we can leave that place never to return.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yay Fox !!!!! *golf claps*

Tho I would dearly love to believe this statistic, its source immediately makes me suspicious as to its accuracy...

Personally,I'd like to see the same numbers sprouted by several news agencies over the next few days...

MAYBE then we can take some notice of this and breathe a lil sigh and truly hope Iraq is on track to looking after itself...

Peace

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
fox says "destroyed," but I tend to think it's more along the lines of "relocated."

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sorry to tell you this but . . . Al-qaida involvement in Iraq was never a Strong one to Begin with, because Iraq after the invasion were having their own road to power struggles within the different sects in the nation.

Al-qaida was the easiest target at the time to blame while trying to cover up the civil unrest of the sectarian violence.

The Al-qaida groups in Iraq after the invasion were instigating the violence already brewing within the nations population.

Plus they probably provided the weapons and ammo, I forgot to add, also a few bodies to blow themselves for the cause.

[edit on 29-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
75 percent of al qaeda destroyed?

Not sure...

[edit on 29-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Associated Press

Amongst others:
here

My question is, "75% of what?"

Quite the timely announcement though. Right when it looks like we might need some soldiers for redeployment to Afghanistan and [perhaps even] Pakistan.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting to link information.

I will say that the claiming of civilians death decreases should be taken with extreme care because we know very well how deceiving are the practices of cover up since this war started.

AP figures on civilian deaths are compiled from hospital, police and military officials, as well as accounts from reporters and photographers. Insurgent deaths are not included. Other counts differ and some have given higher civilian death tolls.

Yes that is the key to all, just call a death body insurgent and deduct the death from the totals.

Very deceiving indeed.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I partly agree with your statement, having served in Iraq there is no doubt in my mind that they were the major instigators of the violence that was going on there, the local iraqis would tell us that on a daily basis.

In addition I concluded that it was as soon as the local iraqis would stop supporting or fearing AQ the quickest that country was going to get in the right direction.

I think is a combiantion of both AQ was not that big to begin with, but with local support and people fearing them they throve. Now is different people is turning there back on them and the result is changing.

That's all we can do about that as far what the US policy should be IMO, hand over to them a stabilize country, and let them deal with the kinks of the young democracy, with us watching from a distance........ A very far distance like from Florida...... Sounds good to me!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
That is the key to the success of any nation's survival, the population has to embrace each other and fight for what is right, that means keeping any none Iraqi national from their communities and towns.

But in Iraq fear, oppression and violence has always been part of everyday life for the Iraqis, first with Saddam and then within their own fellow Iraqis and terrorist groups.

Only time will empower the people and make them fight back.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The AP has always reported their own numbers since the War started, they said that for December last year they reported 2000+ civilians deaths and I think they would have included insurgents at that time either the same way they would not include US military personnel deaths either.

The fact is that it shows a large drop in civilians deaths, still not good enough IMO, but they getting somewhere at least.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yep, good point 12....75% of what...Whenever anybody starts talking hard numbers I almost immediately go into "yea right" mode...

Still, it is a hopeful sign, albeit it small

All we can do is hope it grows into something more substantial...

Peace

new topics

top topics

join