It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Depression has Begun:Tent Cities have gone up in Suburbs

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Could you be more specific on this site?
Looking today, the current page seems to not be about what you posted.
www.independencejournal.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think what ticks me off the most is that we went from being in the middle class now to being in the poverty class which if you ask me is stupid. When your bills equal what you are making monthly it makes you wonder where and when the next meal will come from or even if they will hype up another bill so you will have more bills to pay. We are not even elligable for food stamps because we make to much income, yet our bills take all the income. To me this is stupid. Then you have the fact that I am working my butt of daily along with my husband and basiclly for nothing, because by the time our home is paid off its worth wont be the same as we paid for it.

Hilda

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I cant say that I am surprised to see this news on the tent cities. My husband is a civil engineer, and a part owner. A couple of years ago, he told me the economy was going to take a dive. Their industry feels economic changes first he said. He was not kidding. Last year, most of the engineering firms, contractors, and rebuilders went belly up. It all starts when the contractors can not sell the houses they build. There were so many new houses that had been on the market for years. Empty housing additions. The new houses dont sell, so they cant pay their bills. When you see it all laid out, it is quite amazing the kind of domino effect a contractor/builder can start. After that first hit, a lot of the companies in this industry as I said went belly up. But the ones left worked their arses off and they seemed to be slowly comming back. We were finaly starting to breath a bit easier. Unfortunatly it is starting to happen again. This time it is more like a tidle wave of epic proportions.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Housing prices will return to their real values prior to the insane run up we had in the last 5 years of this credit expansion. John Templeton of the famed Templeton funds estimates that we could see house prices crash 40 -50% off their peak. In some areas like California and Florida where real estate prices have run up the most, house prices could crash 60 -70%. What we are seeing are the aftereffects of artificially low interest rates we had for the past decade.

Can't really place the entire blame on Bush as these policies were in effect in Clinton's second term in office. Greenspan kept the money pumps open to avoid the effects of the dot com crash but that only created another bubble - the housing bubble. In economics there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone will eventually pay the piper for mismangement of our economy and from the looks of things it sure isn't going to be the wealthy and elite that run this country.

A great transfer of wealth is in the process of happening right now and for certain the average Joe is not on the benefical end of the deal. A fiat money system is the curse of this country. Every fiat monetary system in the past has failed. This will be no different. Our founding fathers understood the consequences of this and stated in our constitution that money must be real tangible assets like gold and silver. In fact the dollar was defined as so many ounces of silver. Gold and silver cannot be created out of thin air and thus limits the spending and hence power of gorvernment. We need to return to a sound monetary system ( get rid of the Federal Reserve ) and limit the size of government. Only one presidential candidate supports these ideas and that is RON PAUL. Support Ron Paul in the next Presidential election.

RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL

www.ronpaul2008.com

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow what a thread!

I would say everyone has something to complain about.. but no solution!

Depression? what are we crazy, go out and just sit down outside any mall, department store, strip mall, movie theater, restaurant, etc...

How many people do you see going in and out buying, eating, enjoying life... more than you can count!

Housing market bubble, yes it went bust. WHY? because people do not research the type of mortgage they apply for, and think they can buy a house 3 times the price they can actually afford.

Small business going under, let me see.... I believe Florida is mentioned in this thread that small businesses are closing down there... well lets see
Hurricanes, hurricanes, hurricanes who wants to live there... if insurance rates go up so does everything else. Makes it expensive to live there.

I live in NC, and all I see is boom! Stores going up, new industry coming in to take the place of the old textile industry. Biotech, health, computers, aircraft, automotive... this state has seen a boom....

Depression I think not

California... $500,000 for a small house what are you crazy...
people you have done it to yourself, we make the housing prices, not the government... we make the prices on goods, not the gov.

If you dont like that price then dont buy it!

And jobs are everywhere, pick up the paper and look, dont be so lazy go out and find it.

And you want to complain about your bills... look TV is a luxury, internet is a luxury, telephone is a luxury....

If you are hurting so bad, how can you afford to be on here complainig about it
THATS THE TRUTH!!!

think about it!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ncbrian211

Where the money is coming from? Credit card money, already the report for the credit cards is out there, Americans are relying on credit to maintain their status and now they own more than they can afford on credit.

First is the housing bubble crash second the credit card crunch, when is no longer anymore to spend that is call depression as people gets stuck with bills that they can not pay.

Americans Falling Behind on Credit Card Payments at Alarming Rate

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncbrian211
Depression? what are we crazy, go out and just sit down outside any mall, department store, strip mall, movie theater, restaurant, etc...
...all I see is boom! Stores going up, new industry coming in to take the place of the old textile industry. Biotech, health, computers, aircraft, automotive... this state has seen a boom....

Depression I think not

I'd like to ask you what you think the economy looked like before 1929?

Think about that.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Better yet I want to see the figures he is relying on to post the booming (by his accounts) of the economy, I am very interesting on the industries been brought into the country and a by whom.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by ncbrian211
...all I see is boom! Stores going up, new industry coming in to take the place of the old textile industry. Biotech, health, computers, aircraft, automotive... this state has seen a boom....

Depression I think not

I'd like to ask you what you think the economy looked like before 1929?

Think about that.

This is a valid statement. Our boom times here in the USA are BS, based on BS credit, loans, lines of credit, credit card, and more credit.

This is exactly what happened before the last depression, to much extended credit and that most couldn't handle.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No doubt marg. I would like to see it as well.

One thing that I have found interesting about this, is that the camps are being set up where they are. In the middle of the burbs. In all honesty, the woods are the prime places for tent cities. There are so many more than most people realize, in places that would just blow your mind. The fact that they are now showing up in the burbs, tells me that what we are seeing is the overflow. For every one tent you see, there are a thousand more just behind the tree line.

Everyone is feeling the pinch right now. If you think for one min. the upper class is not feeling it too, think again. The ones I know, are the biggest penny pinchers I have ever met. They are living on what they have not spending a dime unless they need to. One of them used to say he judged the economy by the ashtrays outside the stores. If the economy was good, people had no problem taking a drag and snuffing it out. When it got tight, the were down to the filters. When it was really bad (ww2 and after) there werent any at all because people would pick up what was left and roll them into new ones. Granted right now, everyone has been trying to quit so its hard to tell. However, you can notice the same type of thing with other items. People are being pickier and pickier about what they spend their money on, needing it to last as long as it can. Not to mention how much they spend on what. Generics are going awefully fast while Macy's is closing. Trying to get a loaf of bread that is on sale, well, im glad Im a stay at home mom who can go to the store whenever.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

One of things that the holidays spending spree doesn't tell is how much stores were willing to lose in order to attract consumers.

Wal-Mart was on the red perhaps due to their link to Chinese Toys, many big retailers were in the red and lo and behold on line sales were up.

On line is credit base, Small retailers were good this time as they cut prices from 50 to 70% just to keep the people rolling.

Malls were pack but people were using plastic.

[edit on 29-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I for one believe that this is planned, to force those that could otherwise sustain themselves become dependent upon the state for their necessities. It makes complete sense, if you do what we ask of you then you get what you need, otherwise we deny you, i.e. take these shots now and carry this identification plaque you will get your loaf of bread, otherwise we will lock you up in secret and forget about you.

Removing our jobs from the states forces its citizens to do things like join tattle tail security patrols or the military and pledge their allegiance to the cause of the federally backed government... this is a prime key to obtaining a military ruled police state. Otherwise, you are left to work as a lonely peasant worker or to die off from starvation and dehydration.

Death to the NWO!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If yous are having troubles with the way things are heading then this might help you get ahead of the game.

Stop paying tax's! if you dont have to pay then why do you when you cant afford it?

The Road To Salvation Leads to You!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
There was a post that I skipped over when I had initially read this thread, about what the FDIC does not insure. I didn't know this. So I did a quick 'Google' - went to the FDIC Website and found that it is true that...

The FDIC does not insure the money individuals invest in stocks, bonds, municipal bonds, or other securities; mutual funds, (including money market mutual funds, and mutual funds that invest in stocks, bonds and other securities); annuities (which are contracts underwritten by insurance companies that guarantee income in exchange for a lump sum or periodic payment); or insurance products such as automobile and life insurance even if these products were purchased at an insured bank or through an affiliated broker/dealer/insurance agent that is offering these products on behalf of a bank.

I know a lot of people who have invested in this area and it is a cause for concern. Thanks to the poster who pointed this out. Starts with “Sky” Your posts are great btw.

IunderStand, great post about the catch-22 with the "bad credit - no employment"

SimonSays, you nailed me; call it scientific remote viewing
In all seriousness though, I am going through a difficult time right now with the job hunting and doing my best not to be strong armed into a position where I'm making 8 bucks an hr. I've done that and to go back would be cyclic. I do have a job that involves project work but at the moment there are no projects. I'm looking around for a full time job, where I am employed year round. I desire salary, with benefits, we all do. It’s around, it’s just a matter of getting it and making myself stand out in a crowd. I'll see how much longer I'll last living off credit cards and my unemployment check; which isn’t much, because of the previous low paying jobs I’ve had, like 8 bucks an hour. I was a former small business owner but lost that in divorce. Once you’ve started working for yourself, it’s very hard to work for a boss you never get to see, except read about, like maybe in the news. LOL - I am indeed on a major budget, but can pay my bills because they are minimal. The computer and cell definitely stay on because they are needed in the job search, you know the drill – especially for corporate America – then there is rent and electric and a few random credit card payments, car insurance and gas. Just no going out to dinner or yummy fresh veggies or getting the nails done, or fancy shampoos, yadda, yadda. I can hang, before I give in to what opresses most of America, and keeps them in those dreaded Merry-go-Round jobs. Man, seriously, I would probably feel guilty for having a salaried position, working at, well, let's say, Corporate at the Dollar Tree, for instance. I don't think I could work in this job feeling exactly free of guilt, knowing that there are hundreds of thousands of low paying employees - (not earning a living wage) below me and only a hundred or so good salaried positions out there in Corporate land. (My numbers are off, but just so you get the gist.) Anyway, I wish you the best in your search. We’ll keep each other motivated, alright?

Fiverz, that is really great you humbled yourself to work in a job at 8 bucks an hour and worked your way up to where you are making a decent wage. I am just wondering how many of your fellow Americans/co-workers did you leave behind as you walked up the ladder? See, I would like to take these co-workers up the ladder with me, but I can’t think of a way to do that - yet. I guess the common mentality pretty much is, 'as long as I'm ok, it's all good, and fuhgedabout the rest'. This is exactly the type of thinking that has participated in the downward spiral of our economy and what makes the wage and employment field so unlevel. This kind of mentality is like, “survival of the fittest” - I like the mentality of, something like, let’s see, how about, “Let’s all be fit so we all can live.”

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

It's a blog. I posted the link on ATS on 12/28/07 and linked to that day's posting. You'll need to scroll down the link a bit to find the material and graphs from that date.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by mrsdudara

Malls were pack but people were using plastic.

[edit on 29-12-2007 by marg6043]

What a statement!
So did everyone use plastic or the majority....

I use plastic but it is my check card, the process goes through visa so it does show I used credit to buy the items but in all reality it comes right out of my checking account...

How about the 80 million U.S. residents that cant even hold a checking account, did they use credit or do they just not buy anything?

I know from talking with people at work, this holiday season, not many of them used credit to purchase items....

I am middle class, and I would say everyone I work with and associate with are too! and believe me they are doing all right.

I can see in some states the concern, but this is do to high prices and low pay. I have a friend that lives in Florida, he does the same type of work as me. But he makes around $10 less an hour and has higher bills than I do, because of where he lives (Florida).

The same can be said of other places like Ohio or California.
Now then there are states that are expensive to live in but pay well enough to get by.
Yes get by, thats what the middle man, and poor man have been doing since the beginning of civilization. Expect it to change, NO!

This is the way the world works, up and downs, but at the end of the day we are still here.

So maybe the people that think we are headed to a depression can get their heads out of there a$@! 's and get to work for what ever they can get paid. So we can go on and spend and keep the system going.

I get tired of hearing people complain about not working because they are too good to take an $8 per hour job....
I guess thats why we have an immigration problem!

Businesses move to places where money and prosperity are, thats why some states have closings and some have openings. In the news you only here of the bad not the good. Do some research and you will see there are areas of the country doing very well, middle and upper class.

I dont think we are headed to a depression, maybe a bit of a sad time in American history.

C'mon think about it, it is not 1929 agian.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I remember when a dollar bought 5+ gallons of gas and you could fill a bag with groceries for the same. You could take a penny and actually buy something to eat. Than the 70s oil hit the fan, than sugar went up, than milk, than bread, and behold!, we were being conditioned to be at ease with the new world order of profit at any and all cost.

I worked cheap service jobs than and barely made it. Wages were in the $1.50 to $3.00 an hour range, $5 if you were lucky to get a skilled position willing to train and that was depending on where you looked for a job. Jobs were a plenty than and employers did not look for superhumans to toil till they fell from giving there all and being let go because the employer lived high and paid management, and coos, ceos millions in bonus and perks.

Than something happened, employers wanted degreed minions to do work that needed no degree. wages went up and expectations of employer to employee were divided by a brick wall of separation but trust was on the high.

Now days, you have to have a 2 and 4 year degree to run a copy machine and be on edge whether tomorrow your expensive over charged health insurer drops you for submitting a claim and your 401k was pilfered and the door locked permanently after you leave work. Get caught on the streets by the cops with your big paycheck or worse, your life savings in your pocket and you will loose it because the law is more like the gangsta's lurking in the walmart parking lot cruising victims.

Ya, the coming depression has begun. Throw up your tent but be prepared to have it burned or run over by a dozer and all you have left destroyed as if loosing your house and most of your belongings wasn't enough already.

I have been struggling since 99 and lost most of what I earned by credit while staying solvent from being unemployable at 48. I have managed to keep my house with help and determniation. The thing I did not have was a dependant family to care for.

Best wishes to all those who need it.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is the end result of the economic system being forced upon freedom loving people...Police: 2 confess to killing 6 near Seattle

She told The Seattle Times that her eldest son was a "good Christian" and she was shocked he had been arrested in the slayings...Ben Anderson, who said he was the Andersons' grandson, told reporters late Wednesday that money could have been a factor in the deaths...McEnroe's mother, Sean Johnson of Minneapolis, said she hasn't had much contact with her son since he cut ties with his family after a dispute about money.
(Quoted from above linked article)

If you always behave rationally, then reason becomes the leash by which your enemy pulls you. -Orson Scott Card

[edit on 12/30/0707 by jackinthebox]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow

11 years ago I used to fill my gas tank with 10 dollars
now it takes 30 on the gas efficient car.
the other cars takes 40 to 50 dollars.

Is call inflation, 100 dollars used to buy groceries in my home for a growing family with two teens that will last at least three weeks I use to go and shop on Sam's club.

Now that I spend about 150 to 200 on groceries a week.
yes and this don't include the random stops between grocery trips.

My electricity in 10 years has gone from 60 dollars to 300 dollars a month, water from 25 to 79 dollars, trash from 6 dollars to 17 dollars.

This are my increases in the last ten years, but has the salary been up to match? no even close my husband retired from the military during this time, has gotten two jobs meanwhile, changed jobs 3 times and finally he landed one that can make lives comfortable for the time being while supporting our college bound children.

One graduated with two bachelors degree and has not been able to find a job since graduation last May, she is working making minimum wage on retail for the time being, the irony is that her manager is her best friend that could not afford to go to college after high school graduation so she spend her years working until reaching management while my daughter earned her college degree.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WorldShadowThan something happened, employers wanted degreed minions to do work that needed no degree. wages went up and expectations of employer to employee were divided by a brick wall of separation but trust was on the high.

Now days, you have to have a 2 and 4 year degree to run a copy machine and be on edge whether tomorrow your expensive over charged health insurer drops you for submitting a claim and your 401k was pilfered and the door locked permanently after you leave work.

You make an interesting point about the real need for higher education. One that I've not given much thought to. But, yes, I think you have a good point. I know plenty people with bachelor's degrees who are making very little money. Plenty with their master's as well. Really interesting. I will give it more thought and do a little research. May be good enough for a new thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join