It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Depression has Begun:Tent Cities have gone up in Suburbs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

I am soooo going to ignore you, as you are simply looking for a good scuffle...and, as such, I will simply post more substantiating arguments to annoy you. Have a nice day, with your hangover and all...

onlinejournal.com...

Excerpt but a very good read:

Changing Images of Man predicts an American economic collapse and a "garrison" (police) state," if the overwhelming inequities of our economic system are not corrected by powerful multinationals making more humane decisions. Alternatives to this doomsday scenario are discussed, all of which point to the need to devote all available resources towards transforming the image of man, changing man's nature, instead of altering the corrupted economic system which has brought America to this dire state. In this government study it was inappropriate to denounce the evil culprits behind all our troubles (who pull the strings on government itself), even though the task was to document and remedy the damage that they have done. Instead, they are cited as the hopeful "saviors," that we should look to for help and leadership. The hypocrisy of the hegemons! The authors admit that it is "utopian" ...to think of the multinational corporations as potentially among our most effective mechanisms for husbanding the earth's resources and optimizing their use for human benefit -- the current popular image of the corporation tends to be more that of the spoiler and the exploiter."

Remind anyone of Global Warning Scam?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

deny ignorance friend, spend a lil time reading on whats going on and less time trying to make others feel small for there lot in life when as most have pointed out allready its not the individuals fault that the economic tides are turning. i guess its easier to as you said scape goat the individual then to take the time to inform yourself on the current economic state of the nation. thanx for your post and have a great day .

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

Redseal it is obvious that you are ayoung buck still wet behind the ears probably being supported by rich successful parents that ignored you growing up being sent to boarding schools to be free of you so they could travel around the world.
You probably have never traveled far from your couch to the frig for a beer have you. You really have not heard a word so many people are saying about the shape of things to come, if we dont change our ways, quickly.
We as America are really suffering and there is no other country in the world able or willing to help us out of this hole we seem to have dug for ourselves in the name of Democracy. We saved everyones a***s from WWII and Hitler but is any country going to help us now, will we ask for it.
I have been to the other side and I know it's a coming and it wont be long until those that have but are living on the edge (middle class) will have not and dont be surprised when a tent family camps out on your proud lawn your parents rewarded you with, wake up and smell the roses and by the way what has America done lately in the world that the world wants more of, please tell me,
gwhint

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pjsconcrete

I'm sorry, but this to me looks like a bunch of drug addicts and/or criminals gathering together, establishing a "little community".

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
reply to post by pjsconcrete

I'm sorry, but this to me looks like a bunch of drug addicts and/or criminals gathering together, establishing a "little community".

because of their appearance? Are you supposed to be clean cut when living in a tent? I didn't see any bongs or guns.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by berbalang
I also sometimes think that in a conspiratorial sense some of you may not be who you pretend to be and you actually post negative things with a definite agenda in mind.

hey buddy, come tell that to my kids ??
I double dog dare ya ........ no agenda here other than making
a living and raising a family in this next depression. Thanks
to Bush & Company who has wrecked this nation and still doing so.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Found another article on the tent city in the OP.

Tent city in Ontario offers shelter, services
Link also has a video interview of one of the residents there.

Thread is useless without pictures:

Not good. How will this eventually affect the rest of the world (specifically my country?)

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You double dare me? Ok get your kids on line - let them read what I have to say.

Maybe you are a negative person who doesn't want to take responsibility for whatever you see as failures in your life.

How would I know? And furthermore, why would I care? Should I care because you placed an angry emoticon after your rant? What is with you? What do your kids have to do with anything you are saying?

For all I know, YOU ARE posting what you post with a political agenda. How would I know? Just because you say you aren't?

This place is silly. I think I am enjoying it.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by berbalang]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

First, more and more employers require a satisfactory credit check as a condition of employment. It will be interesting to see how this fact is reconciled with the credit/loan debacle. Talk about being considered a terrorist or at least persona non grata.

This is very true. More and more employers are requiring credit checks as a consideration for employment, which creates a Catch-22 scenario:

If you fall behind on your bills due to an unexpected period of

unemployment, and your credit is tarnished, the next decent paying job

opportunity might not hire you, not because you are unqualified skill-wise,

but due to your damaged credit history...this begins your downward

financial spiral, as more and more employers consider you a risky hire

due to your "shaky credit" through no fault of your own. You are now

about to exit the middle-class and start applying for that cashiers job at

the local Wal-Mart.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Canada's a bit to chilly for tent living. But according to some people, the people are living in tents because they choose to.

apc

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but has anyone considered that a lot of these tent-people are just hippies? I mean... hippies do that too.

I'm already in manufacturing. Doin' my part to save the world.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonSays

Originally posted by berbalang
I also sometimes think that in a conspiratorial sense some of you may not be who you pretend to be and you actually post negative things with a definite agenda in mind.

hey buddy, come tell that to my kids ??
I double dog dare ya ........ no agenda here other than making
a living and raising a family in this next depression. Thanks
to Bush & Company who has wrecked this nation and still doing so.

Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well, certainly there are those who are more responsible than others. And they will be held accountable. But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it? I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you. And in your panic, you turned to the now High Chancellor Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace. And all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Another issue here is the FACT that the report used here SAYS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about anyone in that particular tent city coming from a family that was foreclosed upon.
It may have a little to do with the fact that the population of that county has grown nearly 200,000 people in five years.

So basically the point here is that there is a tent city of 200 people in a county of 2 million people and that somehow equates to the end of the American economy?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Oh, here's a good one! I just got a call from a good friend of mine who is an unemployed construction worker with two kids. He hasn't had the money to take his truck into the shop in quite some time. Well, the brakes just went out and he slammed into a family in a BMW. He's alright but the mother and little girl in the other car both broke their necks. I wonder if that family still thinks poverty doesn't affect them.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Um, that's a terrible thing to happen and its equally terrible that you'd use the situation to make an attempt (and a pathetic one at that) to illustrate your negative nature.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Key-Minder
I would like to personally address Simonsays, and relay that what ever you do, please don’t end your life. Your children are depending on you and need you. While you, as well as many of us here in the United States are experiencing extremely rough financial times, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. This light starts with posters such as, Pjsconcrete, and his message.

Please read this carefully. There is no packing up and leaving. There is no “Eden” to go to. Times are rough and will continually get rougher. Action needs to be taken while there is still an opportunity at exercising freedom.

my God man, do you realized that a depression is not just a term
for the economy but also a state of mind. Do you also realize the
number of suicides which occurred during the depression of the 30's.
Frankly I'd rather not die from a starving belly, it's too agonizing
and painful.

Just like in the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" :::
just leave me one pistol on that God forsaken island
so I don't starve to death. That's mercy in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by berbalang

I think it quite clearly illustrates a very important point. I cannot in good conscience however, claim to know anything about those people, so for that I do apologize. My point remains however, that for whatever reason people may become poor, it affects us all in one way or another.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

But I'm not from Canada.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Get up, make some instant coffee.
Check e-mail
Check out the job websites
Attempt to motivate self with sayings such as “you are not a loser, you will find a decent paying job, ect…”
Throw out some resumes and cover letters
Eat Ramen noodles for lunch
Take nap to shut off conscious mind.

My God !!!!! Are you watching me or what ???
Now, I've got to add paranoia to the day's routine.
You pegged my day ...... to a tee

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Get up, make some instant coffee.
Check e-mail
Check out the job websites
Attempt to motivate self with sayings such as “you are not a loser, you will find a decent paying job, ect…”
Throw out some resumes and cover letters
Eat Ramen noodles for lunch
Take nap to shut off conscious mind.

I have a little confession of sorts here. I was unemployed for almost 3 years ... all due to my own stupidity (well depression and other internal things were really to blame, but let's just call it stupidity anyways). I am currently working in retail, an industry I have never worked in prior to starting my job roughly a year ago. I moved up quickly because I found that selling to consumers is an easy and rewarding job. I am not making "the big bucks" but I am making MORE than enough to pay off my bills AND rent AND afford a few extravagances. I mean I worked hard to move up within the company quickly, but if you have dedication there ARE jobs out there. Sure maybe you have to start out at 8 bucks an hour nowadays, but so what? As someone else mentioned, 8 is better than 0. And my 8 turned into alot more by just doing what I was supposed to.

I think the main culprit here is the current (American) human psyche. Our standards are WAAAAAAY too high. Sure you think you need $80,000/yr to pay off your mortgage and car payments, but then again is that car and house really worth the struggle? You cut your house payment by a third and your car payment by a third and bam you have just opened yourself up to hundreds of more jobs. And do you still have a roof over your head and a way to and from work? Exactly.

The way I see it if you're out of work for a year, you should NOT be posting on here for two reasons. 1) if you are still able to afford internet access and have use of a computer, then are you really that bad off? and 2) if you are spending time on here, then you are NOT doing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in your power to find employment. Btw, this post isn't aimed at anyone in particular ... but can apply to people in this video as well. People are homeless for a variety of reasons, but most of them will do little to better themselves and put a roof over their heads (and some even prefer it). I can understand when bad things happen, and I can relate to people with mental or physical problems as well. But you gotta stop blaming other people or the government for your problems and do something about it yourselves. I'll give you a helping hand to get out of the well, but you still gotta use your legs to climb up the walls.

[edit on 12/29/2007 by Fiverz]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join