It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Depression has Begun:Tent Cities have gone up in Suburbs

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Key-Minder

I can tell you this much, my daughter with two bachelors degree, students loans and credit card bills, including the other expenses, like car insurance, telephone etc. Are now the responsibility of my husband until she can have a job that she can afford those bills.

Why? because we are trying to protect her credit, she is going to need a job that pay between 30 to 40 thousand to be able to live on her own and afford her living expenses.
[edit on 31-12-2007 by marg6043]

Wow, wish I had parents that could do that. By 20 my credit was already destroyed.. I imagine it will take a few years to get it back. I have a good job now, in insurance and I make a good deal of money.. I still cannot get approved for a loan of any kind.

Why on Earth do we let some pricks in an office 2000 miles away judge us by a number, and dictate what and when and for how much we can buy something?

And why is it you cannot buy ANYTHING with actual money?

You buy a car for $30,000.

A house for $400,000

Clothes that you pay $60 for a pair of jeans that cost .10 to make.

Makes no sense why people buy, let alone why the prices are even that high. And if the creditors deem you worthy by your number, you get the privilege of borrowing their money at an obscene interest rate.

Of course.. when the bank borrows from YOU you are lucky to get a %1 interest return for your investment.

M*F***

In the name of capitalism.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
PJ's Concrete, beautiful stone work, thanks for postjng the pics. I have read that Jesse Jackson plans a huge march on Wall St.

My heart goes out to all of you having hard times. This thread has really woke me up, I had no idea that there were that many working stiffs either unemployed, homeless and jusst plain broke.

I've seen this coming for awhile. I rememeber just last summer seeing only a few people post expressing concern on this board over a coming depression. They were derided, laughed at and ridiculed. Now, only a small handful don't see the writing on the wall, but I am afraid that within this next year they will. The govt, as usual,, is trying to hide it from us, but it's there and will only get worse. This is what economists have been talking about for the last 2 years or so an now it's happening.

We are retired, living on my husband's schoolteacher pension. But that could be yanked at any time, so who knows where we'll be in the near future. I just hope we can ride it out until things improve, but I'm afraid that's going to be quite awhile before things look up financially for Americans. They have been systematically destroying the middle class since Reagan in 1980.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The key to buying what you "need" is to pay in cash. It works for my family quiet well. It just takes discipline to do this. We refuse to buy a "new" car because of depreciation. We refuse to buy more that just basic transportation which is really a dead expense. Our clothing is basic without designer labels. We might not impress anyone until they they see our money in the bank and our investment portfolio. Before you ask we have never made more than 75k combined. Our home was built by myself and is valued in to top percent in our area. [midwest U.S.] One really doesn't need a credit rating. I am sure ours is abismal since we don't borrow money. If you don't like the system don't use it.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Thanks forestlady! It's not stone though, it's concrete that I make look like stone. I'm a concrete artist.

Thanks for all the great feedback everybody. I'm going to start testing the waters on the whole march thing. I'm going to contact some connections I've made in the business world that have political connections in Washington and see if it's feasable.

I was looking through the last couple of pages and noticed a couple of people saying that there isn't poverty in their area or it's just isolated in Florida and California. They must not have read my post earlier (or ignored it) about the homeless numbers in Denver. The number of homless in Denver has gone from 1,985 in 1990 to 9,725 in 2007. Seattle Washington also has a large number of homeless due to the housing market crash.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
PJ, keep us posted on your Wall St. idea. I might be able to make that one. Glad you got some work, hang in there.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
PJ,

As much as I like your idea for the march on Wall St I'm almost certain they wouldn't let it happen. I live in New York City so I know for a fact that any type of protest is strictly regulated. There used to be people who set up stages and protested in certain high traffic areas, I remember the Nation of Islam and some random anti-abortionist group would set up in Times Square but I haven't seen them for quite some time.

I think that if you want to protest you'll have to do it under the radar somehow, maybe passing out pamphlets or setting up posters. I totally support you, I just don't want to see you and your friends arrested for "Violent Radicalization". We have armed soldiers acting as police in certain areas here so just be careful.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Perhaps people are familiar, but video.google.com...

is a link to videos with a lot of value to understanding what is going on for 1,000s of years. Though somewhat incomplete (the financiers without the priests), it is very educational. A short condensation of relevant points follows.

US has been a battlefield between the federalists (big government / totalitarians) and the non-federalists (pro republic / true republicans) since day one. In fact, the basic US constitution is really a totalitarian document. If it where not for the Bill of Rights we'd already by way past Hitler. Thanks to the Bill of Rights the Federalists (Federal Government) operates only on limited lines, one of which is war. War is money down the toilet for a country and great for Banks/Big Business and Big Government. Unless there is conquest which repays the country for the expenses of the war it simply accumulates the facade of debt to the banking system. The modern (400+ years) of fake wars never result in profit only loss for the countries involved. War makes the feds look important and the media (controlled by the banks/business) emphasizes the Feds, the military, and the "President" as big deals, "National Heros", "National Causes of Freedom" when really the feds(congress), the military and president are minor players in a "Republic form of Government". Taxes facilitate the extortion threats necessary to manipulate government officials and the fraud of falsely implying a US Citizen earning income within the 50 states can be taxed for their "income" perpetuates control the federal government doesn't have. False Federal actions like the "National Parks", "Bureau of Land Management", "Income Tax", "FBI", "Social Security", "War on Drugs", etc., etc. continually convey a federal authority and importance that doesn't exist constitutionally. Big Government works hand in hand with Big Business ie Banking that creates the fake so-called national debt by managing the "Federal Reserve". The "National Debt is just a swindle that robs us to pay both Peter and Paul. Illuminati franchises, profiteering from fake wars,international trade, and making fake loans with Fractional Reserve banking ( turning 6% interest into 60% interest via 10 loans for every dollar available) all fuel subjugation, inflation and the facade of helplessness on one side and benevolence via brainwashing in the media, education, etc. on the other. The Banking system (in simple terms) is behind it all. But it's all lies and the devil rules by getting people to believe in lies. There is no national debt just a national swindle (international swindle). People all over the world are coming to realize this, coming to realize that the US economy and dollar are falsely inflated. The exporting and importing of cheap labor leading to cheap goods, grossly undervalued minimum wages are among the tools used to stave off the true state of the economy and impact of inflation while the Bankers spend, spend, spend on population control technologies via black ops, hoping to perfect their control. Sadly, generations have been brainwashed as almost everything is a lie designed to control and subjugate. But the 1% or less that are controlling the 99% can't do so if people refuse to accept subjugations and lies. It is all about keeping you in fear and feeling helpless. Just remember the rich, the bankers, the priests and most of the politicians are the enemies of humanity and some of them, though perhaps at lower levels live in your community. The bankers, rich cultivate their army from within their own families, the leadership ranks of the rich are always internal. They torture their children from childhood into obedience by lies, lies, lies, as always. Imagine the worst criminals possible, those are the bankers and their children in positions of authority where ever those positions are of value. IE judges, politicians, corporate executives, military leaders, etc..

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Excellent post Reelview, everyone should read this, not just in America, but Worldwide. This same insidious cancer, has infected most countries of the World, and the Population of the World needs to 'wake up' fast.
A star for you my friend, keep up the good work.
Regards,
Horsegiver.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Dude, I remember tent citys in the park near UC Berkeley almost 20 years ago when I lived out that way. I presume that they have always and will always be there.
It's apparently a California way of life!

You can count on hundreds living in cardboard boxes in the park at any given time.

That is not the criteria for determining a nationwide depression.

I am not saying that times are not bad for some folks in the US. I believe it when people say that independant businesses are dropping like flys and don't show up in the statistics.

But homeless in Cal parks is SOP. Find a better criteria!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjsconcrete
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe
For every house on the market here in Brevard county, there are 3 going into forcloseure

A question for you:

If the 3 other properties have been reposessed by the mortgage lenders, and presumably put up for sale by auction at well below the market-value for your county, would that drive down the asking price of the 1 property out of the 4 to a point where a estate-agent sale would no longer be economically feasible, and default/foreclosure the better financial option?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Honestly, I don't feel sorry for most of the people that are having a rough time right now. Why you ask? The majority of people have only themselves to blame yet insist on finding a scapegoat (ie - the government or president) for all of their financial problems. Everyone has to have that new iPOD, gaming system, $60,000 car and everything else they don't need just to "keep up with the Jones'". Nobody makes you swipe that card for all of that crap yet people still do it every single day.

If people would stop living beyond their means we wouldn't have so many people foreclosing on houses and having credit problems. Some will say that it just isn't that simple...but it is. Stop buying the crap you don't need, get rid of that debt ASAP and live within your income. This whole thing is just natural selection at work.

*Preparing for the flaming...

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PrepareForTheWorst

i dont think its realy fair to just blanket blame like that hell me and my wife are both disabled and cannot work we barely get buy and do not buy any of that crap i dont own a mp3 player let alone a ipod , i have a old x box with one game that was bought for me 4-5 years ago by my parents as a christmas gift the newest thing i own is a book, we dont spend more then we have but at the same time struggle to get by on what we got . we have no credit cards we live in a apt building so we only have to pay rent no utilities and yet by the end of the month im eating bread or something equaly cheap for meals and snacks for at least a few days to a week . now how is that our fault?our only real luxury items are cable , the net and telephone and we get a special package deal that saves us about 200 bux a month so we can afford it i think you may want to maybe go through all ten pages of this thread and read the supporting links, news stories and evidence that the economical tides are turning and its effecting a hell of a lot of people then make a informed post explaining why you belive as you do , i know i for one would appreciate it immensely i love debate but you need to know the material before you debate .

thank you so much for your post and please have a wonderful day .

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by krill

I have indeed read the entire thread. That being said, of course there are those who don't fit into the category I described. It would definitely be foolish to say consumerism is the reason for ALL of the problems, but you have to admit that it is a HUGE factor. The middle class is being erroded not because of the government, but because the middle class is trying to live like the upper class.

As for your situation, I would suggest learning to be self sufficient (that is if you don't already have the skills) for when or if the economy goes under.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Did you read further into the thread where I posted the homless numbers for Denver? Almost 10,000! Or the tent cities in Seattle or St.Petersburg?
It's all over the country now.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I've never been forclosed on myself, but my Sister and Brother-inLaw will be going through it soon (they are mortgage brokers). Apparently what happens is they put the home up for auction. Sometimes the bank asks so much at the auction (one of the homes boarded up on my street is a 350,000$ home), that investors don't see it as a good buy, so it doesn't sell. It then sits until they can find a buyer.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

sweet deal some one who acthualy reads the pages before jumping in, and please dont think my post was a attack on you its just that when ever i see blame laid out with a blanket comment it gets me slightly riled up, but i do try and stay congenial with my posts. as far as survival skills iv spent many years learning as much on them and practicing them , and even have 3 "go" bags set up with survival gear, weapons, and other variouse tools set to go just incase. but thanx for the warning its always nice when some one cares enough for a stranger to offer suggestions .

thanx for your post and stay safe.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pjsconcrete

pj i have a feeling your goona see those numbers sky rocket everywhere in the next year or two homelessnes and poverty numbers seem to me to be on a steady rise for the last 4-5 years in most areas iv looked in to and its good that you started this thread iv learend more about the economic way of things then i ever knew thanx to this thread and all its great replys .

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by krill

I can understand where you are coming from, that is why I used the words "most" and "majority". I am definitely glad to hear you are prepared for whatever may happen; consider yourself two steps ahead of the "sheeple" residing in the states. Disabled or not, you will stand a fair chance if you are prepared.

Best of luck to you and your family through this whole mess!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

i use to be a boyscout once upon a time so i took to heart the whole be prepared motto, that and my natural occuring paranoia (part of my disability) keeps me ever ready and plannig for that moment when the fecal matter hits the fan, it drives my wife a lil up the wall lol. but i do agree that a consumer mentality is helping this move along faster then it would normaly if left on its own. but i also belive that the whole system its self is severly flawed and starting to crumble quickly.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
heres one place to look at some of the homeless population numbers they have statistics that are preety recent and its in a easy to read format. imagine how much larger these numbers have to of jumped sience all the trouble in the housing market recently.

www.weingart.org...

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join