It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Civilization found under Finnish Glacier?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Has anyone heard any specifics on the ancient civilization under the glacier in Finland? As silly as it sounds, I was watching Jeparody and they asked a question about where they had recently found an ancient civilization under a glacier and the answer was "Finland." Well, this sparked my interest and I went on a fruitless search of the net. Does anyone have any information on this? I am curious.

Thank you for your time!
Racer Chick

*This is my first thread, be gentle...

[edit on 12/27/07 by Cheyracingchick]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ok, did I ask something irrelevant or is it just an unknown topic? I am looking for any information.
Thanks!

[edit on 12/28/07 by Cheyracingchick]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
News to me. In fact, I wasn'lt aware that there were any glaciers in Finland - although in N Europe (Scandinavia) it's a low lying country although there are hills in the far north of the country.

Would need to know more details I'm afraid.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Ah, I will see what else I can dig up while I am at work tonight. Thanks for letting me know.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
News to me. In fact, I wasn'lt aware that there were any glaciers in Finland - although in N Europe (Scandinavia) it's a low lying country although there are hills in the far north of the country.

Would need to know more details I'm afraid.

Technically Finland is not part of Scandinavia.

The Finnish language is actually related to Hungarian, (not that they can understand each other like Norwegians and Danish can), its easy to group Finland in there with Scandinavia due to locality, however -

As for the O.P., I have not heard of this either, sounds interesting.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have not found any information regarding this, so I can not validate my question. I will be deleting this thread due to lack of credability. Thank you for your interest.
(If I can figure out how to, that is... any one want to pitty the newb and help me to close this? thank you)

[edit on 12/28/07 by Cheyracingchick]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There is a glacier in Finland...

The so-called Halti glacier has been recognized as the only independent glacier in Finland that has been active since the disappearance of the Scandinavian continental ice sheet at approximately 10 000 years ago. Evidence of its post-glacial advances is supported by a series of well-defined terminal moraines in the Govdajohkka valley a few kilometres south of Halti fell.

en.gtk.fi...

Further Googling hasn't turned up much, though.

Don't give up on this topic. You never know what the great minds active at ATS can find for you.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This a link to the most recent discoveries around the world, and is a fox link.

The only thing I found on finland was something discovered in august 2007 and was some type of Stone Age Chewing Gum.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Perhaps you heard the question wrong?
This Site states that recent discoveries prove that there were human living in the area prior to 10,000 years ago. 10,000 years being the original time-line thought to be when that area became inhabited.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Layla

I'm betting some sensationalist took up that article and turned it into a "civilization", lol.

NO civilizations has been found as of late that I am aware of, because you simply do not "find" a civilization and have it go in dubious internet publications (or game shows). If they did, I would expect the discovery of 10+ cities and so many humans remains you'd have graveyards... Not a human skeleton hand in a cave.

[edit on 29-12-2007 by merka]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Don't give up on this topic. You never know what the great minds active at ATS can find for you.

There are the best minds here, that is why I came here!

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well, I found some info, but it seems to point at an ancient culture working the area for a very long time rather than there being an entire civilization.

I'll post what I've found so far as it might take me elsewhere and at least we get an idea of what's around there anyway.

About twelve thousand years ago, Finland was almost totally buried under a continental ice sheet. Gradually, the ice sheet melted, the Finnish peninsula slowly rose out of the sea.

However, the ground did not rise at an even rate. It was during these upheavals of Nature that a number of the most ancient inhabited localities in the country vanished.

The world's oldest fishing net is carbon dated at 10 000 years old. It was found in 1914 in Korpilahti swamp at Antrea, Karelia.

www.geocities.com...

archaeological excavation so far suggest that people were already living in Susiluola over 100,000 years ago during one or perhaps two of the interglacial periods. Interpretation of the discoveries to date has not been completed, but archaeological and geological exploration of the site is still continuing.

virtual.finland.fi...

Ok, I've been searching for quite a while now and it would appear that it is this site at Susiluola that you may be referring to.

I can't find anything else, although the data for Susiluola seems to be from around 2001 according to the date below the article on the web site.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I did just read an article about an ancient advanced civilization found in Russia under a lake. The intricate carvings on the brass ceremonial cauldrons were said to be only been done by shoot, some kind of exotic gases I cannot at hand remember. Many yards of 4 meter high walls, much brass weaponry, and a self sharpening sabre. And a small bar of gold used for trading. Perhaps this is the find that was referred to? Perhaps not. Oh, and burial mounds on the outskirts of the 'fort'. Mostly washed away.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Or perhaps it has something to do with this theory that is being discussed...

European science is beginning to favor the view according to which the language spoken by the Central European population during the Ice Age was Finnish (Finno-Ugrian).

victorian.fortunecity.com...

It could be that the Finns were so popular as traders all over Europe that their language was learnt by all and left a lasting impact on the building of our modern civilization.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

Well i'm sorry to disapoint you..

but in fact, Finland surely is a part of SCANDINAVIA. And the language part, well it's speculation by current knowledge.

new topics

top topics

join