It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The common perception of aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hi guys, first post here. I looked for a similar thread but couldnt find one, so apologies if there is one! Now with that out of the way, onwards to the thread topic!

The common perception of what an alien looks like always seems to be the same. Big head, big black eyes, no ears, tiny (or no) mouth, long fingers etc. You know the kind I mean, the "Roswell alien" for want of a better name. It seems whenever I read anything about aliens, it is this description that gets given, in about 95% of cases.

You never hear any descriptions of aliens being - for example - like the aliens in the movie "Alien". (Mind you, if they were, I doubt anyone would live to tell the tale, but you get my point!)

I just wonder if the first descriptions of the "Roswell type" have actually forced our way of thinking this way? I'm not saying all sightings/experiences are fake (although I do believe some are), I'm just wondering if the common perception has altered everyone's views on what an alien would like like.

When you look at some of the creatures on Earth, and compare them to the "Roswell alien" (hopefully theres a better name for this "type"?), to be honest, the alien looks quite bland. Although it probably has more similarities with humans than anything else. Is there a possibility that we're actually aliens? Or at least "related" somehow?

Even ignoring this, the other line of thought I'm having at the moment is how do we know that other (non-human) species on Earth aren't originally of alien origin?

I've just re-read this and I'll be honest, parts of it dont seem to make sense, and I seem to have forgotten my original point...
Sorry about that! But hopefully some of you will make sense of it

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I find it wierd that the gray type aliens are so different in many ways too. Some folk say they have five fingers, or four, or three, or six. Or they have fingers like octopus tentacles with little suckers on them. Or two fingers with no opposing thumb. Some folk say no nose what-so-ever, or a tiny nose, or two tiny holes where a nose should be. Some folk say thin lips, or no lips, or a slit, or tiny pointed teeth. These are all small details but how can so many folk get them mixed up? It either had three fingers or it had six. It either had a tiny nose or no nose at all. Why get these details wrong? Don't get me started on the wraparound eyes. If the details are correct in most instances then why so many types of Gray alien who appear genetically unrelated?? Or are they all mutants with genetic faults? It kind of doesn't make sense to me. And then again, it does. Gosh you've got me confused now.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There are two other major types that have been reported. Reptilian, and Humanoid/Nordic... Also some abductees (I think Whitley Strieber is one) have seen a Preying Mantis ET.

I simply think Greys (what the Roswell aliens you talk about are called) are seen most often, because of exactly that reason, they are the ones seen most often. They are clearly the most active at interacting with the human race on planet Earth; and are thus reported the most...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
From a biological and scientific standpoint, I find the idea of humanoid aliens somewhat absurd. Going by what we know of fundamental genetics and the building blocks of life, alien life would follow a completely different set of evolutionary organization than us.

We are bisymmetrical animals, and feature sense organs organized on a recognizable head, and have enormous amounts of things in common with other animals on this planet. If you were to look at a human genome and that of a mouse, for instance, you would hardly be able to tell a whole lot of difference at a glance.

If we were to take a typical alien “gray” as an example of a genuine xenosophont – that is “alien” for you lay people – it could only be understood as having been a natural evolutionary product of the earth’s biosphere! That’s why it is extraordinarily hard to believe that these “reptilians” and other types of humanoid variants are little more than a pop-cultural phenomenon. It’s modern man’s mythology just as the ancient Greeks had the Titans of old. The only difference is, we have adapted it to our knowledge base regarding the nature of the universe and science.

Alien life is probably so shockingly different, exotic, and unusual as to be almost horrifying to human aesthetic values. But I assure you; the chances are almost nil that you will encounter ANY being with two arms, legs, feet, hands, and a recognizable head in our sense of the word. Rest assured, a person would be in for the shock of their life.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
neuralfraud,
You assume what we're told about et's (that we've had no communication with them and they, if they exist don't know about us)... Well how about if they do know about us? Maybe they genetically engineered us, the Bible does say man was made in 'God's' image... To me if there are humanoid Et's that says a lot. It means we know nothing of their past interaction with us, which may be plenty...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Raoul Duke

Stating that aliens have visited earth and established communication with us is the real assumption. However, everything I set forward was based in scientific fact.

Besides, by this logic they would have had to seed ALL life on this planet, right down to the first forms of bacteria. The human genome has not changed drastically nor presented ANY unnatural augmentations, mutations, or genetic drifts since homo hibilus 2.5 million years ago. Are you suggesting otherwise?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think that current mainstream science is based on ignorance , arrogance and denial.
All science is based on assumptions and theories. Most ''facts'' are based on assumptions.
Current mainstream science is not to serve human kind. It's a controlled institution with the purpose of controlling current scientific beliefs , education and money.

I'm not a scientist. But i'm sure there are more PHD's taking the UFO/Alien subject seriously without denial compared to the proud skeptics on ATS.
How can a person be proud to be a skeptic when earth/humans are a grain of sand in a desert.

www.freedomofinfo.org...
www.freedomofinfo.org...
www.freedomofinfo.org...
www.wanttoknow.info...
www.wanttoknow.info...
www.ufoskeptic.org...
nl.youtube.com...
www.ufoevidence.org...

( please don't complain about my writing, english is not my first language)

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I was thinking along the same lines when I started this thread a while ago;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What I was thinking at the time was that it is entirely possible that there could be aliens that will present themselves how ever the persons idea would be, curious how people would see their alien was an interesting idea to me.

I think that the most interesting alien would be the type that would be so totally different than what our physics could even imagine, that it would be hard to wrap your eyes around what you were looking into, like an entire dimensional leap just to focus.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by abovetech

I’m sorry, but that is completely incorrect. Science is based on objective observations, mathematics, repeatable experiments, and confirmed facts. The only assuming that goes on is within circles or social groups that lack the ability for critical thinking or objective analysis.

You have a subjective opinion of science that allows for your subjective beliefs to flourish without the threat of disillusionment that might come in the wake of hard facts. Like you, most people (including myself) can suffer from this in varying degrees – depending on the attachment to any particular fantasy or belief that has been built up over time. Some people even become violent over this, as can be seen in religious castes.

PHDs are not infallible or are somehow exempt from incorrect methods of thinking. A PHD is a degree, not a designation of a clade or human subtype of perfect thinkers. They are just people like you and me.

You would be amazed at what some PHDs believe, and how easily they can be fooled just like anyone else.

Science is science, as well as independent from the people who have contributed to it.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by neuralfraud]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by neuralfraud
reply to post by abovetech

I’m sorry, but that is completely incorrect. Science is based on objective observations, mathematics, repeatable experiments, and confirmed facts. The only assuming that goes on is within circles or social groups that lack the ability for critical thinking or objective analysis.

You have a subjective opinion of science that allows for your subjective beliefs to flourish without the threat of disillusionment that might come in the wake of hard facts. Like you, most people (including myself) can suffer from this in varying degrees – depending on the attachment to any particular fantasy or belief that has been built up over time. Some people even become violent over this, as can be seen in religious castes.

PHDs are not infallible or are somehow exempt from incorrect methods of thinking. A PHD is a degree, not a designation of a clade or human subtype of perfect thinkers. They are just people like you and me.

You would be amazed at what some PHDs believe, and how easily they can be fooled just like anyone else.

Science is science, as well as independent from the people who have contributed to it.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by neuralfraud]

Your brief exposition on science explains the problem between academia and anomalous phenomena. Anomalous phenomena isn't a controlled variable in a lab. Nothing can be absolutley confirmed or repeated in relation to anomalous phenomena.

I'm not saying some Type II Civs are visiting the earth, but something very bizarre is happening. People do not have the answers, so they ignore it or create mythologies around it to try to make sense of it and understand it. The reality is there are anomalous phenomena taking place that can only be hypothesized about, but people want mythologies not a hypothesis. The present mythology being an epic space opera of grays, nordic and saurian aliens travelling lightyears across the galaxy to abduct people, mutilate animals and leave crop circles.

I personally doubt the "beings" seen in encounters are extraterrestrial or biological. The humanoid shape or form most likely comes from us, our thoughts, memories, and ideas. What ever the phenomena is, it isn't just in the mind. It isn't simple hallucinations. Its real enough to spook the persons and institutions that maintain our National Security. Real enough to cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in individuals who have genuinely encountered the Phenomena.

If we ever expect to go beyond various hypotheses and mythologies surrounding the Phenomena, we will have to face it critically and objectively to formulate a theory. That includes somehow reconciling the scientific method with the behavior of anomalous phenomena. Personally I dont know if it can be reconciled. At the least though it may be recognized as an Unsolved problem of Neuroscience and Physics.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I agree one hundred percent.

Science essentially ignores anomalous phenomena until it can be observed within the confines of an objective reference. This means that anomalous activities are left without explanation until any facts surrounding it can be confirmed or verified.

Alien grays are an experience of the human psyche and overall culture, just like the angels and demons of bygone centuries. Little green men from outer space have just replaced the incubus and succubus who come to visit us in the night for sexual purposes.

Reptiles have also played a large role throughout our evolution as predators and evolutionary contenders. We still retain a part of the brain that is directly related to our reptilian ancestors, interestingly enough. But I don’t think it holds any significance other than being a shared genetic heritage.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Stating that aliens have visited earth and established communication with us is the real assumption. However, everything I set forward was based in scientific fact.

Yes it is, but you were basically right in what you were saying about aliens (being humanoid and such) if we follow the consensus logic (what non-UFO believers think).

Besides, by this logic they would have had to seed ALL life on this planet, right down to the first forms of bacteria. The human genome has not changed drastically nor presented ANY unnatural augmentations, mutations, or genetic drifts since homo hibilus 2.5 million years ago. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Well, I have no idea what the ET's did or have done specifically (that was conjecture), but if they are humanoid in my opinion they are probably related to us or had something to do with our evolution and development...

[edit on 28-12-2007 by Raoul Duke]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BeingFollowed

Being new here myself I feel intmidated even by my own self doubts and latest brand of skepticism. Having seen a few sci-fi movies and the special effects with the illusionary aspect of it has made me rethink many of my own recovered memories of abduction scenerios and similar bizarre memories. I do however remember enough now to know that my own dreams are typically so lame and stupid to the point that I can tell the difference between those and the other vivid recalls of these lucid type dreams. Again, whether these events happened or not, they are typically way beyond my own capabilites of random dreamland fabrications.

The HBO sci-fi series Taken rang some bells for me to the point they seemed to have been borrowed or stolen from my own. The point is is that these aliens or whomever may be using whatever means possible to cover up their own identity and agendas and implanting various typical memories by whatever means.

Whether human or alien involvement in these scenerios, they both probably say: "It sucks to be you" especially if they find your cold dead body devoid of blood, eyes, sex organ and rectum. What IS our attraction to these types of films and experiences anyway?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

From a biological and scientific standpoint, I find the idea of humanoid aliens somewhat absurd. Going by what we know of fundamental genetics and the building blocks of life, alien life would follow a completely different set of evolutionary organization than us.

We are bisymmetrical animals, and feature sense organs organized on a recognizable head, and have enormous amounts of things in common with other animals on this planet. If you were to look at a human genome and that of a mouse, for instance, you would hardly be able to tell a whole lot of difference at a glance.

If we were to take a typical alien “gray” as an example of a genuine xenosophont – that is “alien” for you lay people – it could only be understood as having been a natural evolutionary product of the earth’s biosphere! That’s why it is extraordinarily hard to believe that these “reptilians” and other types of humanoid variants are little more than a pop-cultural phenomenon. It’s modern man’s mythology just as the ancient Greeks had the Titans of old. The only difference is, we have adapted it to our knowledge base regarding the nature of the universe and science.

Alien life is probably so shockingly different, exotic, and unusual as to be almost horrifying to human aesthetic values. But I assure you; the chances are almost nil that you will encounter ANY being with two arms, legs, feet, hands, and a recognizable head in our sense of the word. Rest assured, a person would be in for the shock of their life.

Thanks for these replies, I had some similar thoughts but its nice to hear it in a scientific way

Originally posted by Raoul Duke
There are two other major types that have been reported. Reptilian, and Humanoid/Nordic... Also some abductees (I think Whitley Strieber is one) have seen a Preying Mantis ET.

I simply think Greys (what the Roswell aliens you talk about are called) are seen most often, because of exactly that reason, they are the ones seen most often. They are clearly the most active at interacting with the human race on planet Earth; and are thus reported the most...

I wasnt aware of those other types (especially the praying mantis!
) so looks like Ive got some reading to do!

And yes, "Greys" is the term I was looking for, thanks

new topics

top topics

join