It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This may sound dumb but.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ok I have a stupid question to ask. If you have something in space and you push it it will continue to move through space because there is no friction right.......? Well how come the sun and the planets do not move through space? I mean the planets stay in place because of the gravitational pull right? I know there is no Gravity but something can still move if it was acted upon by another force right? I mean like if something were to move them all together would they move and keep moving? I am confused lol.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
We are moving threw space. Think of the milky way as a human body. Galaxy=human body. It a big mass of planets, suns,and gasses. Moving super fast in space.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The planets and stars are indeed hauling arse through space!

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by dreamrebel]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but here goes.

Yes, you are right in assuming that object in space will keep moving unless something acts on it, because there is no friction, therefore no energy is lost.

Planet and Stars don't move because they have huge masses. Take Sun, it has 99% of the mass of our solar system, which is incredibly high, so to move the Sun you would require an object with more mass than the Sun.

Right now Sun is not in motion, it is literally standing still, and the inertia of the sun prevents it from moving, so unless a force greater than its inertia acts on the Sun, the Sun won't move.

Science majors, Am I right?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Science majors, Am I right?

I am not a science major but you are wrong the sun is flying through space and draging the planets along with it as far as I know NOTHING is sitting still everything is expanding.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I am not a science major but you are wrong the sun is flying through space and draging the planets along with it as far as I know NOTHING is sitting still everything is expanding.

Ofcourse nothing is standing still since the Universe is expanding at a huge rate, but isn't the matter around the sun is expading and not the Sun itself moving?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Not sure but you are asking about quantum mechanics I think and you could do a search on this. Not that they fully understand what is going on but I'm sure they have it at least half right by now.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Ofcourse nothing is standing still since the Universe is expanding at a huge rate, but isn't the matter around the sun is expading and not the Sun itself moving?

But you said ,"right now the sun isnt in motion."

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
But you said ,"right now the sun isnt in motion."

Yes, I did say that. To my knowledge, the Sun isn't in motion, only the matter around the sun is expading.

Maybe I am wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The sun is in fact in motion so is the milky way our galaxy. So are all observed galaxies, so is all observable matter in the universe. Everything is in motion.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hhm... *to self* "a body in motion tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force..." what if the galaxy just stopped? Would we keep moving? Or would the gravity of earth keep us from doing so? Since even if we are staying still here on earth, we are still moving at the same speed as the galaxy itself, so if the entire galaxy was to come to a sudden, screeching halt, we would be those bodies in motion, and would just keep on going... unless gravity kept us from doing so (like a seat belt in a car accident). Where is that science dude?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
The sun is in fact in motion so is the milky way our galaxy. So are all observed galaxies, so is all observable matter in the universe. Everything is in motion.

Oh...of course. My bad.

Sun orbits the galaxy, doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
hey IndridCold!

for of all don't say "This may sound dumb but....." cause, on this forum people don't laugh at you when you have some idea, they discuss it with you, this is what makes this forum and it's members so great!

and about question, i think before our known universe created there were many explosions, but finally everything balanced out! slowed down, and moves slowly! for us very slowly!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Comon guys this is physics 101. Inertia will keep an object moving. There is virtually no friction in space, it is a vacuum. Our galaxy is moving through the universe, our solar system is moving through the galaxy, the planets are moving around an eliptical orbit around the sun.

The earth is moving at approximately 18000 miles per hour, the sun is also moving as stated above.

The earth and all the planets are orbiting around the sun because of its gravity. Without this gravity the planets would simply float off into space.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am no science major lol I am 16.... I was j/w thanks guys.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
related to this theory, for a space vessel to travel the speed of light we would only need one giant burst of energy to get to that speed then we would travel at that speed with no extra effort... of course assuming nothing gets in our way

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
yea but i thought that the gravity force streatches on for a VERY long way until it its so small its is irrelavent to the obect. but neway, everything in the universe is moving right now, nothing can be still. Earth is rotaing, Revolving. Our sun is in a arm of our galaxy, arm is moving around galaxy. Galaxy is moving through space because of the big bang theory.

If the earth suddenly stopped revolving, what would stop us from moving at say `1800mph in the direction it was moving?? Noting. But if the galaxy suddenly stopped, nothing would happen, because our galaxy is seerate from neting else right? except for the fact that in a long time another galaxy would probably come crashing into us.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
related to this theory, for a space vessel to travel the speed of light we would only need one giant burst of energy to get to that speed then we would travel at that speed with no extra effort... of course assuming nothing gets in our way

No, we would need one infinite burst of energy to get to light speed. Thats the catch

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano

No, we would need one infinite burst of energy to get to light speed. Thats the catch

hey we're switchin' gears here, but what the hey...
what about lightsails? that's a cool concept. getting light to (gradually) push you up to light speed.
or what about a dimensional jump or wormhole to bypass the limits of three dee?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Hey Billy did I ever tell you how cool your avatar is?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join