It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Made You Believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What experience lead you to believe in the paranormal? Was it a situation where you know you were not being fooled? That was tested to make sure there was no trickery?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I saw little bubbles of light which lit up my room when I was about 4 or 5. I screamed my head off and my gran came running and put the light on. They were still there but she couldn't see them. I walked around one and pointed violently at another (still hysterical) and it wobbled like a soap bubble would if you blow at it. One near the floor moved away from my foot when I got off my bed.Maybe I had a fever and it was a hallucination but even so, that's still paranormal in my opinion. They were there.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What do you think the bubbles might have been?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thoughtforms created by myself and only viewable by me because my gran was a good age and so I couldn't change her reality because it was already set. However, makes me wonder if there was another child in the room would they have seen them because their reality is not as formed and final as an adults?

p.s. I'm not saying that was the case, but it might well be. I do believe that thoughts create reality so that could be what happened in that instance.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by wigit]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It makes sense that there are more things in this world that have not been proven with science. Everyday there is a breakthrough, over 10 years look how many breakthroughs there have been with science and technology. Camera phones, microchips, and so many more

It makes sense.....

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yes we are discovering new things all the time. However with all the amazing feats people claim there does not seem to be any verifiable evidence. As far as psychic abilities are considered.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't believe. It's like I was born believing. I just knew that there was more out there than just the physical realm and what the eye could see. So, when paranormal things began happening to me it just increased my curiosity. *shrug*

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoggins

When I was in my teens I had a friend who lived in a very old house. She had a slumber party for her birthday one year and about 8 of us were invited. We dind't fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning. About an hour or so after we fell asleep we heard what sounded like an enourmous picture window being smashed. We got up and looked everywhere in the house, but couldn't even find a broken glass.

Weird things happend in her kitchen all the time as well. The walk in pantry had a light fixture with a pull chain on it. There were many times I saw that pull chain spin around and around, yet nobody had touched it, and there was no breeze to cause it to do so.

Once when we were making a batch of cookies, the entire bowl of cookie dough ended up on the floor. Here's the thing....we watched it move across the counter slowly as if somebody was pushing it and it lingered over the edge before finally falling. There was no tilt to the counter top, as we also still had some eggs laying on the counter right next to the bowl.

Then there was her dog, who refused to go in the kitchen but would go into every other room of the house. It would stand in the doorway to the kitchen at times with it's fur raised on it's back just barking away.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I was touring the Atlas Theater in Cheyenne WY, when on the third floor we walked thru a doorway/a joining closets *which are quite common there*. I was last of the 3 people walking around, everyone else had left and was no longer in the building. After I got just outside of the door something pulled my hair *which was in a ponytail* very distinctly, enough to visibly snap my head back, as I was told. I spun around to find no one in the doorway or any rooms surrounding. I checked that there was nothing hanging or short enough to get caught.(I am 5'2) but did not find anything that could possibly have caused any touching of my body. I am usually very grounded in my rational. but that left me speechless. To this day I cannot walk in that building!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
i made myself believe and the things i see and do

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoggins
What experience lead you to believe in the paranormal?

Something that we cannot discuss on ATS, and which I will not condone.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

I'll have to second that. Has probably made many a believer but I won't condone it, nor recommend it either.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What experience lead you to believe in the paranormal? Was it a situation where you know you were not being fooled? That was tested to make sure there was no trickery?

when I was smaller, stories my family would talk about. But now things that have happened and I've seen. The world is filled with numerous paranormal encounters so that is also difficult to dismiss.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

Originally posted by scientist

I'll have to second that. Has probably made many a believer but I won't condone it, nor recommend it either.

This is over my head.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Heh, they don't condone it going into your head though

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   

What made me believe was:
When I was 12, I was playing a Game on my PSX. I couldn't, for the life of me, get to the last level. I had been trying for weeks and weeks but could NOT do it. I remember my Aunt speaking about spells and stuff one day so I decided to try something. I made up a quick rhyme in my head and said it aloud. Sure enough...I made it to the final level on that game the next time I tried it RIGHT after I said the little rhyme. Been a believer since that day.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I was attacked by a demon.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

There have been many instances that I can remember, but I think what I encountered very early shaped how I feel about the paranormal now. The first time I remember a paranormal event I think I must have been five or six, living in PA at my paternal grandparents' house. They had a lot of really old furniture ,and one item was a grandfather clock. It did not occur to me that it was so old- I was too young to appreciate antiques, so as far I knew, my grandparents had bought all of their stuff at Sears. Well, the clock was in the foyer, and it didn't quite work. I think it kept time, but the chimes never worked. Grandpa was dilligent about winding it, but had not repaired the chimes.
One evening we were at the table eating dinner, and the chimes sounded on the clock. You know that song that all grandfather clocks play? I dont know the name of it. Well it chimed. All of the adults stopped eating and were very surprised. My father asked his dad if he got the clock fixed, and Grandpa said no, but he had been trying to dust out the interior so maybe he had done something to it to make it work (that isnt the paranormal part) . I piped up and asked about the men who brought the clock into the house. I could clearly remember the men bringing it in, and I described them to my Grandpa, who got really flustered. I remembered the way the mens' shirts looked, and their suspenders and hats etc. My father got annoyed with me and said I couldn't know because the clock had been in the family "fifty years" before he had even been born. Well, I shut up and ate my dinner.
About three or four days later Grandpa brought out some photos he had put away in the attic. They were from the 1910-1920 era not nearly 50 years before Dad, but old. There was one of the men bringing in the clock. They were wearing the styles of clothing I had described (One had a striped shirt). Well, I had told them.

Anyway- the grownups talked about it for some time. There was no way I had seen the photo because it had been in the attic for years, and it had probably been up there since well before I was born. I was scared of the attic, so I couldn't have been snooping around without anyone knowing. I keep thinking I had dreamt about the clock, but all I know is that I truly thought I was calling up a memory when I spoke at the dinner table. even now when i think about it, it is like I am seeing the men bringing in the clock, not recalling a dream I had as a kid.

This was just one of the more vivid recollections. I used to freak my dad out all the time. I would "know" stuff, and sometimes I would accurately predict things happening. I was pretty creepy. My mom told me a bout a few things I did before the clock thing that I don't even remember doing. I'm not able to do it any more, at least not like I did as a kid.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't believe. It's like I was born believing. I just knew that there was more out there than just the physical realm and what the eye could see. So, when paranormal things began happening to me it just increased my curiosity. *shrug*

I was the same way. When I was younger I thought like this: "There has to be something out there. The world can't be as bland and as boring as it seems at first glance, there has to be something deeper!"

And I eventually discovered that I was right. After that, I just kept researching and reading about the stuff. Have been researching the paranormal/cryptozoological in some form or another for my entire life.

It's just been what I do.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Hey there Snoggins,

I'm in the same camp as 'ReginaAdonnaAaron'and 'Voidmaster'. I can't ever remember not believing. Some of my earliest memories involve playing with spirit-children and things just progressed from there. It's probably true to say that I've forgotten as many paranormal incidents as I remember. If I have a couple of days where nothing happens I get worried. To me 'paranormal' is 'normal' and vice-versa.

But one very important thing to remember is ... never accept anything of this nature at face value (the mind is a powerful tool ... it can convince us of many things ... not all are what they may seem to be). The best advice I could offer is ... if it's a personal experience ... check for any other possible explanation before you accept it as a reality ... if it's hearsay ... reserve judgment.

Woody

top topics

<<   2 >>

join