It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pats - Giants game to be broadcast on network TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The NFL has decided to allow the NE - NYG game to be broadcast on network TV this Saturday night, citing "the best interest of the fans." It was originally scheduled to be carried by the NFL Network.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The National Football League will let broadcast networks CBS and NBC air the New England Patriots' bid to finish a perfect regular season this weekend, reversing a plan to air the game nationally only on the sports league's own cable channel.

The Patriots will play the New York Giants on Saturday after beating the Miami Dolphins earlier this week, leaving it with a perfect 15-0 record in the season to date.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement, citing the "potentially historic" element of the game.

ca.reuters.com...

Good news, imo. I wonder how Comcast is taking this? Did they get a cash settlement from the NFL for potential lost revenue?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don't really care what comcast thinks lol.

Your supposed to be able to watch your home team when they are playing! This is the whole foundation of sporting events, for the fans to see them. I'm surprised anyone would put up with such nonsense.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, I tell you, during the break, cable and the NFL network need to get their # together because if they don't they will both feel the detrimental effects of not doing so.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
I don't really care what comcast thinks lol.

I don't either.
I guess I don't understand the whole idea of this NFLN thing, who started it, etc.

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
Your supposed to be able to watch your home team when they are playing! This is the whole foundation of sporting events, for the fans to see them. I'm surprised anyone would put up with such nonsense.

I can remember back when there was a local blackout if the game didn't sell out by the Thursday before the game. Then sports bars started installing satellite dishes and the NFL got pissed about that.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well, what is really happening is that they are trying to make it to where you'll have to pay just to watch a freaking game. When that happens, good bye football because there will be a backlash. not only will people not pay to watch the games on T.V, the attendance at the games will be reduced considerably. Look at baseball, it has never been and never will be the same since the last strike. They # on the fans for the last time, and baseball will never recover. I suggest that the NFL take a lesson from baseball and walk a careful line.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is my take on how it works:

Cable netwwork X pays the NFL $$ for the right to broadcast the game between A and B.

The network then recoups it's costs, and a profit, by making the game PPV.

So, in this case, the NFL merely returned the $$ to Comcast, right?

Right now, you need cable to see the Red Sox (NESN), the Celts (Comcast Sports Network), or the Bruins.

I love football, but I don't know if I'd pay to watch it. Cable costs are too high as it is.

new topics

top topics

join