It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Consciousness Actively Influence Non-Local Probabilites?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In a nutshell: Do the conscious choices we make have a quantum, non-local effect on the probability waves of the reality we have chosen to change?

I'll give a quick example of what I'm thinking about.

Tomorrow you will have to paint part of a wall blue or green. Before you have been specifically chosen to do so we could say the probability is 50/50 because there are two possible choices. Once you are selected the probability may change because of personal opinions about either color. Let's say blue is your favorite so maybe the odds are 90/10 for blue being used now. Is this shift in probability, for lack of a better word, 'known' by the quantum probability waves? Does anything quantum in the universe change? Let's say you were selected to do the painting but you have not been informed yet, does the probability change even without your knowledge? Is the wave function influenced in any way?

What started me on this idea was the question of when does a black hole first exist? Is it the first literal, physical existence of one? Or perhaps when the first star becomes massive enough to become one? Even further back would be when a star is first able to form... and so on... and so on... In this thought process it feels like everything we see has been inevitable in some way. I think it also touches on the difference between potential and real. There may have been a time when no black holes existed physically, but it existed as a potential. It feels like there is this underlying reality that doesn't have to actual exist... to exist. A field of potential that our minds may be influencing, to the extent of bringing it into reality.

It almost feels like I'm asking if the universe is aware of itself. When I was looking at unconscious matter (as far as we know) there was no aspect of choice. Unless all matter has agreed upon the laws of our universe, which is an odd thought. Assuming they haven't, consciousness appears to be the only thing actively changing and working on the universe. If that is so then I feel our individual minds and choices have a far greater impact that we currently imagine. It's quite an expansive exciting thought but I'm not sure if I'm approaching this idea the right way.

My apologies if this isn't entirely clear but I'm always amazed at how one small idea can encompass or mean so much, it's quite overwhelming in a very beautiful way.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Anyone? Anyone? If this is a dumb question or unanswerable to some extent I'm ok with hearing that, I just wanted others opinions on the thought. Or someone who knows a bit more about quantum effects on a macro level, thanks.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
In a nutshell: Do the conscious choices we make have a quantum, non-local effect on the probability waves of the reality we have chosen to change?

This kind of goes to the question of what consciousness really is. I can't think of a good way to test your hypothesis above, but can't think of any way to refute it either.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? Specifically, I am not sure what you mean by the term "probability waves" with regard to "reality". I also don't quite get what you mean by "non-local" effect.

I suppose you have heard of the Global Consciousness Project? Perhaps there is some information their that you might find interesting and applicable.

One thing is a fact -- the type of speculation you are engaging in is EXTREMELY PERILOUS -- which is probably why nobody but me has responded.

Ahh -- just joking. Good post there!

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? Specifically, I am not sure what you mean by the term "probability waves" with regard to "reality".

To start here is the wikipedia overview which I will then put in simpler terms...

A wave function is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe any physical system. It is a function from a space that consists of the possible states of the system into the complex numbers. The laws of quantum mechanics (i.e. the Schrödinger equation) describe how the wave function evolves over time. The values of the wave function are probability amplitudes — complex numbers — the squares of the absolute values of which, give the probability distribution that the system will be in any of the possible states.

Until something is 'observed' to be real it exists as a probability wave which encompasses all possible states it could be, once it is observed the wave function will collapse into what we perceive as reality. The famous example is Schrodingers cat. A long story short, the cat is in a closed box and no one is able to observe it. There is a vent attached to the box which can release poisonous gas. A random generator produces either 0 or 1, this is also unobservable. If it hits 1 then the gas is released and the cat dies, and each 0 will keep it alive longer. The basic premise is this, as long as the cat and random number is not observed the cat will simultaneously exist as both alive and dead. Only when the box is opened, an thus observed, will the probability wave collapse into either a dead or alive cat. Its a weird example but it speaks to the power of observation in the quantum world.

For my specific question I would change the example slightly. Let's say there are two buttons, one of them kills the cat and the other keeps it alive. Before I decide I assume that the cat would exist as the probability wave. And when I push a button the wave would collapse, either killing or allowing the cat to live.

My question is this, does the wave function collapse only when I push the button or does it collapse the moment my mind chooses to push one of the button, before I actually do it? Which ties in with your next question of clarification...

I also don't quite get what you mean by "non-local" effect.

On a quantum scale non-locality refers to the property or ability of matter to supersede the physical laws of distance. For instance, quantumly entangled electrons on opposite sides of the universe could communicate instantly, regardless of the space between them. So even though my consciousness is distant from the cat or paper, a choice could immediately effect their quantum properties.

I suppose you have heard of the Global Consciousness Project? Perhaps there is some information their that you might find interesting and applicable.

One thing is a fact -- the type of speculation you are engaging in is EXTREMELY PERILOUS -- which is probably why nobody but me has responded.

Ahh -- just joking. Good post there!

I've heard of the GCP but haven't done much research on it. I will definitely check it out, thanks for the link. Ha, yeah you're joking but you probably are right. I know this isn't truly answerable, I'm just looking for some good debate and discussion. Thanks for your questions and input.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
My apologies if this isn't entirely clear but I'm always amazed at how one small idea can encompass or mean so much, it's quite overwhelming in a very beautiful way.

Okay -- I think I understand what you are saying, and it is a very cool idea.

To make sure I understand, let me paraphrase: the future is governed (or created) by human consciousness, where human consciousness is nothing but a set of probabilities resolving themselves into reality.

I've been trying to come up with a thought experiment that would prove or disprove your hypothesis.

My first idea was to consider whether the human mind could change the outcome of a coin flip. But clearly, it can't (Otherwise Las Vegas would be out of business by now.) So I thought this might disprove your hypothesis.

But then I was thinking that this doesn't disprove anything, because you say that consciousness AFFECTS probability -- you don't say it DICTATES OUTCOME. Perhaps wanting a certain number to come up changes probability from zero (you are not going to play the game) to 50% (because you are going to play the game after all!)

Continuing with that thought, what made me want to play the game? Some human consciousness was the impetus for that -- for example YOU (who started this thread.) Specifically, you created a possibility that didn't exist when you started this thread.

Then you can continue this idea: what made you want to start this thread?

#

Can you think of any experiment to prove or disprove your hypothesis -- something short of particle accelerators?
I will give this some more thought and get back later.

Flagged!

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Great question!

I've recently been reading "Entangled Minds", concerning the entanglement theory and the nature of "PSY."

I think future understanding of the quantum world will shed scientific light on the things we now consider in the "mysterious" realm, such as religion, remote viewing, ghosts and the paranormal, etc.

Just because we do not understand how something "works", does not mean that it cannot be understood in the future.

What is the nature of the human conscience? Can this conscience affect the material world? I believe so.

When we take two particles and entangle them, then seperate the two particles, somehow, the particles remain connected in some way. If we were to take particle A and move it 100 light years away from particle B, and then manipulate particle A, it will have an instant effect on particle B, regardless of space and time. This does not make sense nor does it follow the classical laws of physics.

So what is going on here? If you believe in the "big bang" theory, then at one point in time, all things were entangled, thus all thing must be connected on some level.

I think once these questions have been fully understood, the great shift in consciencenous will take place and mankind will be transformed.

How and into what, I do not know.

[edit on 31-12-2007 by super70]

[edit on 31-12-2007 by super70]

new topics

top topics

join