It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 11 Strange Object pic during experiment setup by Aldrin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I apologize if this has been up before, but I could not find it in a search. I was going through the pics on this site and noticed a weird object located on the moon's surface. The shot is apparently one of Aldrin headed to set up an experiment but the object does not appear to be any part of the experiment.

I have circled the object in red and you can find the original pic on the previously mentioned site. It is labeled AS11-40-5943. You can see a succession of shots, but this is the only one the object appears in. The reason it stood out to me is because it is a different color than the rest of the lunar surface and it stood out.

Any idea what it is? Again, I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I could not find anything.

Thanks for looking!

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

This may sound silly, but... couldn't it be just a reflection of some of the (very bright) equipment that Aldrin is carrying on a rock?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

This may sound silly, but... couldn't it be just a reflection of some of the (very bright) equipment that Aldrin is carrying on a rock?

I don't think this is the case as it seems to be on the shadow side of the rock it is on. If that is the case then it should not reflect.

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
I don't think this is the case as it seems to be on the shadow side of the rock it is on. If that is the case then it should not reflect.

On the contrary. The shiny case and the suit reflect solar light which then strikes the shadow side of a rock. That's what the pic clearly shows.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

On the contrary. The shiny case and the suit reflect solar light which then strikes the shadow side of a rock. That's what the pic clearly shows.

I still don't see what you are saying. This does not appear to be a reflection to me at all. Can you post a pic showing something similar from a moon walk?

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Judging by the tracks, nobody else has been past this spot to discard trash, and Aldrin has both hands full, so it's not likely he could have thrown something away. He could have set his load down and done so, but I see no imprint to suggest that either.

I look forward to an enlargement of this to see if it is indeed a reflection. I tend to discount reflection due to the coloration and the fact that it is so small.

Interesting find, Vasa.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I still don't see what you are saying

the object is a rock with the shadow side being lighted by the suns reflection on the suit/equipment

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

I still don't see what you are saying

the object is a rock with the shadow side being lighted by the suns reflection on the suit/equipment

Sorry....I get what he is saying, but I just don't see that being the case. If it is a reflection then it is extending from the rock onto the surface as well. Also, the equipment is white and the color of the object is orange/red. There are other pics on the site of all sides of the equipment he is carrying and none of it matches with the color of the object.

The object also appears to be 3 dimensional with a shadow of its own.

Are there any other pics anyone can reference that show a reflection from equipment on the moon?

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here is the shot without the red circle around it.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
And here is the object zoomed and cropped. I also added saturation to see just how far the object extends and to show the contrast against what it is laying on. If this is a reflection then how is it extending over the lighted side of the rock and appears to extend to the lunar surface on the shaded side of the rock? Can a reflection occur in lunar dust?

-B

jra

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'd have to go with a reflection of light off the equipment as well.

Here are some higher resolution photos.

First, lets look at the previous photo AS11-40-5942. Note that the rocks shadow is black. Then AS11-40-5943 where we can see the reflection as Aldrin passes the rock. The next photo, AS11-40-5944 it's not there anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Those three photos in a row pretty well clinch the matter for me. I don't see how it could be anything but a reflection.

Excellent work.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

After checking those out I would have to agree. It would appear to be a reflection. Thanks for checking it out!

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

reply to post by jra

After checking those out I would have to agree. It would appear to be a reflection. Thanks for checking it out!

-B

My greatest appreciation to someone showing that they are both gracious and willing to see logic. So often on the boards people refuse to admit a change of mind, even when the evidence is overwhelming.

Sir/Madam, my hat is off to you. you have gained much respect in my eyes for your handling of this matter.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Thanks much! I appreciate the kind words. I am always willing to listen and look at different sides of a coin....even the edges...
I have no problem with anyone scrutinizing what others find when it comes to finding a truth in the matter. I would rather have tried and be proven wrong than to either a) not try, b) try and then be an ignorant fool and not listen to reason when proven wrong, or c) die. The last being a bit extreme, but I love a good challenge and as far as I can see, proving there is other life and extraterrestrial objects in our universe is quite a challenge and well worth the learning experience.

Thanks to all for the input and your time!

-B

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

reply to post by jra

-B

My greatest appreciation to someone showing that they are both gracious and willing to see logic. So often on the boards people refuse to admit a change of mind, even when the evidence is overwhelming.

Sir/Madam, my hat is off to you. you have gained much respect in my eyes for your handling of this matter.

Oh....and it would be sir.

-B

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

Great hi res images.

How come there is no antennae on the pack of Aldrin in photo AS11-40-5942? The picture is taken clearly right behind him and I can even read the patch on his pack. But I see no antennae, only something that looks like thin string, like fishing line.

The antennae is clear in photos AS11-40-5943 and AS11-40-5944

jra

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

That's just the way it is. The antennae wider on one side but rather thin on the other. It's not cylindrical like the antennae on ones radio or car.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

looks to me like a play of light off a semi reflective surface. Pretty sure its benign.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by blueyedevil666

As already stated, it looks harmless. Although it looks like a flaw in the photograph. Something that either worked its way onto the film during processing, or something that managed to "distort" the image after it had been developed.
It looks to me like the "object" is on top of the rock and the shadow. It is relatively large, so I do not think that either of the two astronauts (the photographer of the experimenter) would have missed it, or even ignored it (at least without not saying something that would suggest deliberate 'cover up').
It is harmless, and nothing of import, in my humble opinion.

Although, I would love for it to be something exciting and new. I actually feel quite sad that it is not, but my gut tells me that this is nothing to even think twice about...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join