It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion heard at Bhutto rally (Bhutto Killed)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Nawaz Sharif who was another former prime minister has made this statement as reported by the AP:

For all we know, he was behind it. With Bhutto out of the way, now he is the number one opposition leader; he is in a good position to take the reins if popular sentiment turns against Musharraf.

Or it could be a revenge killing. Earlier in the day four of Sharif's entourage were killed in an attack. It could be they blamed Bhutto, and decided to take her out.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I suspect ISI or at least someone in the military establishment. Bhutto was shot twice, once in the neck and once in the chest before the explosion. This is not the style of AQ. They would just blow up. Now ISI would want to make darn sure she was dead before the bomber set himself off. The bomb helps destroy the evidence. Now it could very well be jihadists within the military since there are many many of them and not the hand of Musharaff. If it does turn out to be jihadists in the military then we may well be careening towards a jihadist controlled nuclear armed Pakistan. Jackinthebox may have been ontu something with this thread started here

let's all cross our fingers and hope this does not spiral into utter chaos

Obs out

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Opposition leader's assassination 'moves us closer' to potential nuclear apocalypse, expert says:

Clemons said Bhutto's assassination could cause the "Doomsday Clock" to tick forward. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists maintains the clock, which depicts how close the world is to midnight, representing a nuclear catastrophe. At the beginning of this year, the clock was set at 11:55 p.m.

"I think we've moved closer to midnight ... to a potential apocalyptic situation," Clemons said. "It doesn't mean we're going to get there, but we have moved closer."

rawstory.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Let me pose a question to you- seeing as how the killer, was also a suicide bomber, would that lead you to any conclusion other than a terrorist attack? Each of the current or former leaders(to include Musharaf, Bhutto, etc.. )have had terrorist attempts on their lives. Bhutto's people don't believe it to be an inside job, and I'd imagine they have a better idea of what's going on, than folks thousands of miles away, speculating.
Terrorism is real. What's scary to me is how many folks want to dismiss it out of hand, because they're more interested in the SWAG technique.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Makeitso,
Is that second imsge you just posted of the actual attack on Bhutto?

Yes it is, (supposedly). I wasn't there to verify of course.

There are others, but this is the only one I've seen of the exact moment.

[edit on 12/27/07 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
People shouldn't be naive to automatically assume that all terrorists work for Al-Queda. I suggest you read up on Operation Gladio.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cossiga's revelations contributed to an Italian parliamentary investigation of Gladio in 2000, during which evidence was unearthed that the attacks were being overseen by the U.S. intelligence apparatus .

In March 2001, Gladio agent Vincenzo Vinciguerra stated, in sworn testimony, "You had to attack civilians, the people, women, children, innocent people, unknown people far removed from any political game. The reason was quite simple: to force ... the public to turn to the state to ask for greater security."

www.nowpublic.com...

U.S. Troops to Head to Pakistan
blog.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 27-12-2007 by kindred]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
I suspect ISI or at least someone in the military establishment. Bhutto was shot twice, once in the neck and once in the chest before the explosion. This is not the style of AQ. They would just blow up.

Not necessarily. al'Qaeda knows that suicide bombing is not an exact science. There is no guarantee a suicide bomber will kill someone. If they want to make sure their target is killed, al'Qaeda will shoot someone.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think this is much ado about nothing. Not to say that a loss of life is nothing, but I think the more likely scenario is riots for a few days/weeks, and then the people will go back to their homes and accept things how they are. Most people are going on emotion right now. Emotion only gets you so far.

Eventually, it will die down, and the outcry will be reduced to a level not much greater than the outcry of some of the interesting and potentially serious issues that arise on these forums. The "Musharaff was behind the assassination" theory will be eventually ranked right there with the 9/11 conspiracy theories and the JFK conspiracy theories. Interesting, but nothing more...

I doubt there will be a civil war or revolution over this, although anything is possible.

[edit on 12-27-2007 by Cutwolf]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
I suspect ISI ... The bomb helps destroy the evidence.

I agree. Destroy the evidence and kill the assassin to ensure that "nobody talks". Total cover-up.

The images of them hosing down the scene also clearly demonstrates destroying of evidence to anybody with a brain in their head.

This is definitely an intelligence operation with plausible deniability built-in IMO.

Whether it's Al-CIAda, ISI, Mossad, Indian agents (is that MI6?
) or any other alphabet soup agency is open for speculation at this point.

The next few days/weeks of developments will help narrow the field down but the point is that somebody somewhere has just put something into motion.

I hope this doesn't turn into an "Archduke Ferdinand" type of moment in world history.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
People shouldn't be naive to automatically assume that all terrorists work for Al-Queda. I suggest you read up on Operation Gladio.

No one is saying that all terrorists work for al'Qaeda. However, being intelligent, educated people, we are able extrapolate information and draw connections and come to conclusions. We know al'Qaeda and Taliban associates are active in Pakistan, and we know that region has had problems with Islamic extremists. And we know that Bhutto was threatened by those with ties to al'Qaeda. Thus, we can come to a safe conclusion that al'Qaeda or someone affiliated (even if it is just in philosophy) may have been involved.

Originally posted by kindred
U.S. Troops to Head to Pakistan
blog.washingtonpost.com...

And obviously this was in motion before she was assassinated.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Bhutto: "I know exactly who wants to kill me"

LINK

Declan Walsh in Karachi and Mark Tran
Friday October 19, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

Benazir Bhutto today accused supporters of the former Pakistani military dictator General Zia-ul-Haq for the assassination attempt that turned her homecoming into a bloodbath.

"I know exactly who wants to kill me," she told the French magazine Paris-Match. "They are dignitaries of General Zia's former regime who are behind extremism and fanaticism."

The Pakistani government has blamed Islamist militants for the assassination attempt. Police are focusing on militants linked to the Taliban and al-Qaida based in tribal regions bordering Afghanistan, where they have stepped up attacks on Pakistani troops.

However, Ms Bhutto pointed to Pakistan's powerful intelligence services, the ISI.

General Zia seized power in a coup against Ms Bhutto's father, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, in 1977. The general, who died in a mysterious plane crash in 1988, had Mr Bhutto tried on trumped-up charges and executed.

"We have to purge elements still present in our services," Ms Bhutto told Paris-Match. "Many went into retirement and then were taken back. Today, they hold much power. For them I represent a danger - if I bring back democracy to the country, they will lose influence".

It looks like she knew exactly who wanted to kill her.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by Digital_Reality]

-----------------------------
Fixed link and added 'ex' tags

[edit on 27/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Shoot then bomb IS a little convenient isn't it. Unless I'm mistaken. Finding the bomber's identity from dental records or DNA will be next to impossible if you don't even have a list of suspects to begin with, and if the bomber had any comm equipment such as a radio or a cell phone, whoever was on the other end giving the orders would have a good head start on covering their tracks.

Of course there ARE some reasons terrorists would do that (keep medical attention away a little longer just in case he didn't place the shots right, not to mention the mere spectacle. Bombs can be unreliable for targeted assassinations. You know people will die but sometimes one specific person gets away. So you shoot first for effect then bomb for psychological impact.

But I have never heard of terrorists doing that before.

As an aside, and I DO NOT intend this to steal traffic from this thread, but there is a second thread for people who want to focus just on what this might mean with regard to a war on Iran.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by observer

That is one of the points that also go me, no only she was shot but the suicide bomber made sure that no evidence is out there to track him down.

Yes I agree is more here that meet the eye. Screaming Al-qaida and Taliban is the easy way to go but the killers masterminders could be a lot closer than thought.

BTW the opposition now said that they will boycott election no matter what so it makes no sense for them to run against Musharraf.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet, I haven't read back.

If it was AQ still unconfirmed they must have had people on Bhutto's security teams.
I don't see Musharraff behind this, the last thing he needed is rioting across the country.
I also read that the US is going to expand military presence in Pakistan I hope they keep those nukes secured.

Or just an idea, put my tin foil hat on could it be a test by the powers that be to test the reaction of democratic society's? i.e. Removing Dr. No

Al-Qaeda claims Bhutto's death

“We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat [the] mujahadeen,” Al-Qaeda’s commander and main spokesperson Mustafa Abu Al-Yazid told Adnkronos International (AKI) in a phone call from an unknown location, speaking in faltering English. Al-Yazid is the main al-Qaeda commander in Afghanistan.

It is believed that the decision to kill Bhutto, who is the leader of the opposition Pakistan People's Party (PPP), was made by al-Qaeda No. 2, the Egyptian doctor, Ayman al-Zawahiri in October.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Who Killed Bhutto? (updated)

Interesting times indeed

[edit on 27/12/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
No offense but this a good thing.

Is anyone else aware she was exciled for murder and corruption and using her husbands army to kill dissenters.

She is far from democratic and she wa skilled for a reason.

Dont go blaming mushraaf yet.

Please go research why Bhutto was exciled and ultimatly killed for.

She is as cruel as anyone else dont let her being a women fool you.

A murderer of the innocent knows no sex.

She is a murderer of children and got what she deserved!

Please dont think im being harsh please look up her crimes in the past.

link   
It looks like someone is already making a move to take advantage of the situation. From the AP...

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP) - Pakistani opposition leader Nawaz Sharif announced Thursday his party was boycotting next month's elections following the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. He demanded that President Pervez Musharraf resign immediately.

Sharif isn't exactly a champion of democracy either. He was Zia ul-Haq's man in Punjab.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by SaviorComplex]

link   
Let's also remember that the ISI, which has it's own agenda, has had a close relationship with Islamist groups in the past.

They were clearly involved in the terrorist campaign against India over Kashmir, and were instrumental in the rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

And, as Digital_Reality's link points out, they also have a lot of links to former dictator Zia (who may have been killed by the US or Mossad BTW), who was responsible for the execution of Bhutto's father.

[edit on 12/27/07 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

You know one thing I can not trust is a phone call from an unknown location, who is to tell is not just a distraction to deviate from the true killers.

Is been a while since I stop believing on anything that it has Al-qaida tag on it.

BTW the last poster makes a good point on who really was Mrs. Bhutto.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Mushariff would have to have cornflakes for brains to order this. Everyone is going to point the finger at him.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that it's Islamic extremists. Not necessarily Al Qaeda, but along those lines. Only one group benefits from chaos that may or may not result from these events. The group is the extremists.

Although the other opposition leader would seem to bear some examination. He stands to gain prominence as an opposition leader, using Bhutto as a martyr figure.

There's a reason that "may you live to see interesting times" is such a potent curse...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am not surprised that she was assassinated. However her death could have been a good thing, we will tell in time. It is time for the Pakistani people to finally realize that the terror regime has to end and this revolution must start with the normal civilians lashing out on terror/extremist groups.

I hope the best for Bhutto's family and I hope this sparks the fire in every civilians heart to speak out against extremism.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join