It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO hits NASA satellite in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   

UFO hits NASA satellite in space

Escrito por PATRICK LYNCH
Thursday, 27 de December de 2007
The orbiter took some damage .

In the eternity of space, the chance of a meeting between two free-floating objects would probably not produce odds you'd want to bet on.

But in the ever-more-crowded arena of low-Earth orbit, the area up to about 1,200 miles above the surface, those odds might be improving.

An unknown object apparently collided with a satellite with NASA Langley Research Center connections in November, sending several broken pieces flying into orbit. he satellite was decommissioned in December 2005, but was one of NASA's largest and brightest in low-Earth orbit, and popular among amateur sky watchers. Called UARS, Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, it was launched in 1991 and carried a NASA Langley instrument called HALOE that captured data about the chemistry of the atmosphere.

On Nov. 10, something apparently hit the school bus-sized orbiter. It could have been one of the many pieces in a growing field of "space junk." It could have been a meteoroid. Space debris often leaves pings and dents in satellites and even the space shuttle, and aging satellites decay over time. But a collision that actually creates new pieces of debris is more rare.

more...
fender bender in space...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
hmmmmm this is interesting because the chinese tested a sattelite destroyer on one of their decomisioned satellites not so long ago,maybe this is the usa doing such a test,but one so obvious?,hmm maybe someone trying to intimidate the usa?...can only be russians or chinese or maybe even aliens as you say!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Do you have a source or a link so I can see what website this was posted on?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
C'mon, stretching the term "UFO" a bit here eh, I know your probably very clever and all but this has nothing to do with extra terrestrial craft

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by atsguy_106
C'mon, stretching the term "UFO" a bit here eh, I know your probably very clever and all but this has nothing to do with extra terrestrial craft

my thoughts exactly. it could have been anything, space debris or even the damn screw driver they dropped. HAHA

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInfamousOne

If you click the white text in the opening quote headline it will take you to the original article.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne
reply to post by reject

Do you have a source or a link so I can see what website this was posted on?

Click on the topic in the quote
--------------

Originally posted by welivefortheson
hmmmmm this is interesting because the chinese tested a sattelite destroyer on one of their decomisioned satellites not so long ago,maybe this is the usa doing such a test,but one so obvious?,hmm maybe someone trying to intimidate the usa?...can only be russians or chinese or maybe even aliens as you say!

Where does anyone say that it was aliens??
-------------------------

Again where does he or anyone else say that ?

Looks like alot of people got "Jump to conclusion" mats for x-mas

[edit on 27-12-2007 by Mindless]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Posting the "term" UFO in a UFO forum, that has blatantly nothing to do with extraterrestrial craft is sensationalism at best and trolling at worst. SUREEEE UFO doesn't necessarily mean E.T. but 99.9% of people associate it with that, like it or not.

------
Again where does he or anyone else say that ?

Looks like alot of people got "Jump to conclusion" mats for x-mas

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Posting the "term" UFO in a UFO forum, that has blatantly nothing to do with extraterrestrial craft is sensationalism at best and trolling at worst. SUREEEE UFO doesn't necessarily mean E.T. but 99.9% of people associate it with that, like it or not.

Oh this is like taking everyone license cause of a few drunk drivers .

So cause (as you say) 99.whatever % of people . Don't understand what U.F.O means we shouldn't look into unexplainable things cause there definatly not e.t in origin ..

Some one loves ignorance ..

Also where is the pictures of this "blatant" Whatever you seem to think it so obviously is ? Can you prove this "things" existance? Can you prove what it WAS?
Please cite your source(s) for debunking this as anything more than unidentified.

Another thing .. 99% of people i know dont know theres a spacestation . Does that mean thats fake too ?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yeah, the term "UFO" in the topic title should definitely be changed to "Unidentified Flying Object".

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
they didn't once mention the cause of this to be an ET Ufo in the article, seems rather cut & dry to me..what was the point of posting this in here.
Of course the OP was doin a 'drive by' just to see how many laughable responses this would get & looks like it worked!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Is the term UFO stretching it a bit?

Absolutley not.

Unidentified flying object?

that seems to be exactly what it is in my mind.

Unidentified.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
Yeah, the term "UFO" in the topic title should definitely be changed to "Unidentified Flying Object".

Wouldn't Unidentified Object be enough? One doesn't really "fly" in space.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonicology
Wouldn't Unidentified Object be enough? One doesn't really "fly" in space.

Spot on! There are no 'UFOs' in space!!

Back on topic!

Earth is encircled by hundreds of thousands of pieces space junk or debris, big and small. This computer generated image depicts orbital debris currently being tracked around the Earth.

Credit: NASA/JSC Orbital Debris Office

So it's no big deal if a piece collides with a satellite! But, needless to say, it would be disastrous if the shuttle or the ISS got hit, considering the velocity differentials involved!

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I guess people are addicted to refer "UFO" term as to aliens.

new topics

top topics

join