It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This NEEDS to be taken care of

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This is something that needs to be brought up. I have read many of the topics here and extremely disturbed by some of the peoples responses just as much as the topic starter. There are many claiming to be possessed and similar things. But (being a trained psychologist) are Type I and Type II
symptoms of schizophrenia, deppression and so on. As if directly taken out of the books we study. I suggest the moderators add to the rules that first all medical issues should be sought out first. Here are some things the moderators should look at to help with identifying what could be a psychiactric problem and monitoring the type of responses that people give to the thread starters. For the people who say it's demons before psychiactric issues. What type of people are you?

www.purgatory.net...

I wish you all happy holidays!!!

You're playing with LIVES.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Snoggins]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
There is also the problem of good old fashioned attention whoring, which happens frequently on this board as well. People shouldn't come to a conspiracy site seeking serious medical / personal advice.

I am fairly confident that a large majority of the people who make such dramatic claims are simply trolling for attention. Trying to see what types of responses that they can get from the "whacko's" on the conspiracy forum.

Yes, there are people who seriously need help and are genuinely looking for advice. Unfortunately, I think they are in the minority.

Other than standing and judging the members of this forum, how do you propose that the issue be correctly addressed?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Uh...I already explained how it should be addressed.

I suggest the moderators add to the rules that first all medical issues should be sought out first. Here are some things the moderators should look at to help with identifying what could be a psychiactric problem and monitoring the type of responses that people give to the thread starters.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Im not a psychologist but I play one on TV.

As moderators we are here to make sure that people stay within the boundries of the terms and conditions of the site.

But breaking out our DSM-V and playing amatuer psychologist can and does more harm than good in my experience. Making such judgments based on a fw online interactions is not good medicine nor good practice.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoggins
Uh...I already explained how it should be addressed.

I suggest the moderators add to the rules that first all medical issues should be sought out first. Here are some things the moderators should look at to help with identifying what could be a psychiactric problem and monitoring the type of responses that people give to the thread starters.

OK, well please break it down "Barney Style" for me, because I am slow. How do you suggest that the mods implement your recommendation? I agree with your sentiment, but I doubt its feasibility.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
You join today and want the members of this unique community to be forced into psychiatric care.

I may be off my meds sometimes, and a few of us drink too much, but hell, give it a chance. Some of the most interesting ideas, great works of art, and unique inventions come from the completely insane.

Spend some time with us before you suggest rules that restrict our freedom to express ourselves.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Im not a psychologist but I play one on TV.

That's possibly the greatest line I've read in a long time.
Jeez I hope you weren't being serious.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
OP, how do we determine that you are sane? Before we can accept your call to arms over this issue, I want you to prove to me that you are perfectly sane. Otherwise you're just as likely to be some attention getting nutcase that thinks he's a doctor.

So go on, prove your sanity over this medium.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
how do you know theyre an insane person in a sane world?

maybe theyre the only sane person in an insane world?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well Snoggins you're first.

If you pass the psychological evaluation you may post.

I don't think you should post anymore until we can figure this all out.

Because quite frankly we need to determine your mental state first before we consider your interesting proposals.

Please remain calm and stay seated.

Also please refrain from eating anything for the next twelve hours as that tends to complicate the barium...well perhaps I've said too much.

spiderj

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

...extremely disturbed by some of the peoples responses...
...claiming to be possessed and similar things...
...schizophrenia, deppression and so on...
...all medical issues should be sought out first...
....For the people who say it's demons before psychiactric issues. What type of people are you?

They're Christians. For them, they are Saved, which means they have experienced a psychotic break from reality, demons are real, and even though schizophrenics are easy to recruit and become convinced their illness is caused by demons, only the stupidest Christians force them off their medication.

There is a deep effort to deny reality, you take medication because of an obvious neurological condition, yet you simultaneously and overtly assert that it is caused by demons. Sure, demons might use the condition to their advantage, if they existed, but they don't.

Schizophrenia is known to be caused in a part of the brain that is mainly inactive in modern humans, but it is believed to have been active in ancient times when people reported seeing demons and spirits and Gods all the time.

There's an obvious pattern, but Christians and the like are ill and for them, The Church is the cure and they cling to it insanely. The Church sees this as an advantage and favors recruiting of people with neurological problems.

C

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Snoggins: This site is completely self regulating. If a "wacko" gets on here and posts, do you not think that he or she will not be called on it? NO ONE on this site believes a story just because someone says it is true. There is always the call for proof of somekind.

I understand what you are saying, but it is not needed. If you don't think that what the OP is saying than you just move on. It is easy as that.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Snoggins, if you want to practice mental health, start visiting the larger cities and go into the "skid row" areas. You'll find every flavor of mental problem your heart could desire.

Now, this isn't "skid row", but a few do wander in here once in a while. So before we get too clinical, and certainly before you tell us how to care for these unfortunates over the internet, please consider my earlier request for you to prove your own sanity.

I would hate to take medical advice from a madman. (Though having spent time in the Army, it's likely too late for that option.)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

But (being a trained psychologist)
As if directly taken out of the books we study.

In other words, text-book examples from the latest cram session? trained or in-training?

hmmm..

www.purgatory.net...

Nice plug. Will it be updated soon?

A suggestion/change, if I may... LIMBOLAND.
It has a certain ring. No?

I hope your studies prove both Informative and Enlightening. Case, Book, or otherwise...

Good luck next semester.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoggins

As much as I respect your thoughts of the mental health of the members of ATS/BTS I'd like to remind you of two things.

1.) This is a conspiracy site. We work together to discuss problems that plague society today and tomorrow. One of the problems is with the way those with emotional issues are treated by the state. They are nothing but pill pushers for the drug companies, but I'm sure you may have found these threads already.

2.) You have been a part of this site for less than 24hrs now. Thank you for joining. Until you get your feet wet and add more posts here, I would not think that you should take it upon yourself to ask the moderators to start changing things even though change can be good.

Once again I appreciate your concerns and welcome you here.

Edited because of allergies to the letter "s"

[edit on 27-12-2007 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Good advice from someone whose very screen name advertises an acute understanding of how to blend in.

Snoggins, your post makes you sound as if your stressed about this matter. For your own mental condition, please take a few deep breathes and remain very calm. I urge you to take the advice of Sanity Lost, if for no other reason, the screen name suggests this poster really does understand.

(Sorry SL, no offense.
)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
.... ahhh.. Snoggins

People can talk about whatever they like here.
Everyone can say that the things people write disturb them we are human but you cant come on and say that people are crazy just because you don’t like and/or agree with what there saying let alone put out the suggestion that there should be some contingency plan put in place to implement that people who speak with a free tongue and an unshackled mind be exercised in a way as to stop them from speaking there mind on here (providing that there writings are not trolling and or baiting or just plain out being rude and arrogant to other members)

You say that your concerned about people saying things about possession and things but for all you know they might not be saying something like that about themselves but something else entirely. And then you come online and say that these people have medical issues and that you’re a psychiatrist ?? To me that’s a little contradictory

Our community here is the best because we can talk about what ever we want when ever we want as long as it doesn’t harm anyone on a mental, emotional and physical plain and anyone that does do that is punished for it.

People come here to speak about things because they may not be alone in there experiences here and it is a great place to express ourselves .
It is in my personal opinion arrogant and self absorbed to label and judge someone as insane just because you cant get your head around there thoughts or see where there coming from .

It makes me glad that most people in our community here at ATS approach things with and open mind and then conclude things with research and fact. On the other hand it is a great shame that some people are the complete opposite…

Also How dare you say that the moderators here are Playing With lives as you so mightily put it. Those here look at life anyone does, it is Precious and for you to say that, as if life is some sort of game to people is absolutely daft and ill informed of you . I have seen first hand Real issues that have to be addressed on here be dealt with swiftly and Professionally on here and i applaud those that deal with those things for doing so with such great efficiency and tact.
There are no such things as "Digital psychiatrist " and you cant possibly have a clue about someone’s mind and mental condition just by reading a few lines on a subject that they are talking about on here especially because of narrow minded perspective and a stubborn “my way or the highway” personality. I truly pity those who cant have some empathy or allow other viewpoints to be expressed for research and or community discussion for those people will never grow up and think that everyone else is wrong about things except them . Sounds like a bit of mental agoraphobia going on right there I think. But hey I aint a psychiatrist . . . . .

To all other members of the community, You are what makes this place great! Keep up the good work, dance like noone is watching and speak your mind about things it is this reason why this website is so bloody good because we are not brainwashed conformists to “The Typical or the Norm” We are Freethinkers!! And we will go on!!

Omega

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm not a psychologist but I am a bachelor of psychology. I feel I must post in slight defense of the people you are speaking about. I authored a thread concerning an out of body experience that I had because I wanted to seek forum members advice on the subject. I know that hallucinations can cover a lot of this ground, our mind is very powerful, including the current "shared" hallucination of reality. I fully accept that it may be nothing more than a medical issue but....

If you have not experienced things of this nature then you have no reference on the subject. I don't mean that as an attack but the distance between what you've read and what you know to be true (regardless of the hallucinations source the event is real because it was experienced) is vast. I'm extremely interested in consciousness and subjective experience and I write every single day but I still could not describe the magnitude of the shift in perception after what happened (for me an OBE, for others, who knows.)

I can't say that out of body consciousness, other spirits, or whatever don't exist simply because science hasn't proven it. Radio waves existed long before man had the capability or thought to even look for them. I consider myself a listener, an observer of the world, I see this as an opportunity to discover something new within myself. I always admired men like Columbus or Marco Polo, exploring parts of the world unknown to them. I cannot accept that our knowledge of the brain is anywhere near complete enough to entirely dismiss all experiences like this as insanity. If anything I feel more in touch with the world.

To get to the point, people come on this board (some, not all) in search for advice or solutions outside the confines of accepted science. I'm a fully functional, intelligent, creative member of society and I have met many people here just like me. The thing about ATS is that you can find other people who may have experienced the same thing and can hopefully learn from each other. We also do not know anything about these people beyond what they post. Someone who reads my OBE thread may think I'm crazy but come spend a day with me and you wouldn't know. You don't ask for these things to happen to you, but when they do you want to find every viewpoint possible. The idea of medicating myself up because a psychiatrist thinks I'm hallucinating doesn't sound that appealing when opposed to talking with a few others who shared your experience, understanding that I'm not alone, and accepting that I can only take it as it was. The only reality we know is the reality we perceive, some do more than others, I'm not sure what that means, but hopefully some day we will.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Hello there Parabol.

I agree with you , If you have no direct experience in what you are slandering and shooting to pieces then you have no basis of rational foundation to what you are saying.

Science should be adapted and formed around Facts.
Not the other way around.

Your one of the Open minded people i was talking about earlier and it is great.

thanks Omega

[edit on 27/12/2007 by Omega85]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The most interesting thing that I see going on here is the example of ATS's self regulating nature in this thread alone.

Someone (in this case the OP) makes an extraordinary claim or suggestion and is taken down point for point by (mostly)sane people with basic logic and reasoning. So far, the OP has shown nothing to back up his/her claims.

That's why I love this place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join