It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Discovered Before Christopher Columbus!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
www.shanghaiguide.com...

Very intesterting, there is actully alot more stuyff about it in other sites. But you can do the search on your in Google.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Title Preserved With Original Spelling.

[edit on 26/12/2007 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Sleepy_wns]

Mod Edit: Spelling on title corrected.

[edit on 1/7/2008 by thelibra]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
colombus had to have been one of the LAST individuals to discover america. well maybe not but still, why is the credit always given to him?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Sorry I, I meant Christopher Columbus, But who cares about him, his just a biter.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Roland Deschain

Beacuse his white, the credit has to be givin to the white man.

No oofend to any one, is just the way I see it.
Opinion.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
honestly, your opinion is valid and will hold weight in an argument. the color of the mans skin probably does have a lot to do with. sad.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Actully Christopher Columbus was the last guy to supposly discover america, After he went back to europe an told everyone about what he had found, then it was declare that the world was round and there was land so on, etc.
but I have also read several different other books of Asian history an alot of them knew about the new world... but people in europe thought it was crazy an that it was not possible that there was new continenent out there.
I also remeber something about the vikings but not sure that lived somewhere in green land about 200 years or so before Columbes got to america.

Sorry but my english spellin is not very good.

I need to get back in practice.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This topic has been covered quite a bit here, you should try using the search function.

Its generally agreed by scholars that Columbus wasnt the first to discover the New World, there is some evidence to suggest the Chinese, Scandanavians and i believe possibly Phoenician's found their way to the America's long before Columbus and of course its possible that Polynesians were visitors to the New World long before all of them.

Here's just a couple of links.

infohub

L'Anse aux Meadows is the only authenticated Viking site in North America. It was established 1000 years ago by the explorer Leif Eiriksson during his adventures in eastern North America - 500 years before Columbus' exploits in the "New World". The site was rediscovered by Helge Ingstad and his wife Anne Stine in 1960. L'Anse aux Meadows is now a National Historic Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the first cultural site in the world to receive this designation - a symbol of its outstanding cultural and historical value.

livescience

Tattered and rusty orange, a map recently unfurled in Beijing has reignited an international war of words over who reached the New World first.
China is the latest to throw its sailor hat into the ring, but it won't likely be the last in this long-running, hotly contested debate.
The Chinese voyage to America theory was popularized by British amateur historian Gavin Menzies in his 2002 book entitled "1421: the Year China Discovered America." The controversial, bestselling work claims that Chinese admiral Zheng He reached the Americas more than 70 years prior to Christopher Columbus' famous voyage.

phoenicia.org, this site has an obviously biased slant but some of the links and information put forth is worthy of research.

Working with computer-enhanced images of gold coins minted in the Punic/Phoenician city in North Africa of Carthage between 350 and 320 BC, (please see sketch of coin right and where the world map is supposed to have been inscribed) McMenamin has interpreted a series of designs appearing on these coins, the meaning of which has long puzzled scholars. McMenamin believes the designs represent a map of the ancient world, including the area surrounding the Mediterranean Sea and the land mass representing the Americas.
If this is true, these coins not only represent the oldest maps found to date, but would also indicate that Carthaginian explorers had sailed to the New World.

pnas.org, pdf of the article available here.

Radiocarbon and DNA evidence for a pre-Columbian introduction of Polynesian chickens to Chile
snip..........
We present a radiocarbon date and an ancient DNA sequence from a single chicken bone recovered from the archaeological site of El Arenal-1, on the Arauco Peninsula, Chile. These results not only provide firm evidence for the pre-Columbian introduction of chickens to the Americas, but strongly suggest that it was a Polynesian introduction.

Heres one of the more recent threads on this topic here on ATS.

Ancient Visitors to the Americas
, its pretty much well established that Columbus wasnt the first to discover the america's.

mojo.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I didnt really look at it... I was to excited about the news, which is not really news lol, but it was to me.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
i'm re-reading a book about that very subject. by michael bradley. it
appears the celts, vikings, chinese possibly and the africans (olmecs)
had visited the american continent prior to columbus. interesting theories
abound!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Old World Records in Ancient America

Her work started as a casual investigation into a local curiosity. This investigation turned into a fifteen year quest which ended in the recognition of the Heavener Runestone as the work of ancient Viking travelers and its protection within a state park. Evidence of other visitors also came her way. These includes petroglyphs that record their names, drawings of the ships that brought them here, artifacts they left behind, and a solar observatory that they constructed to mark the passing of the seasons.

The Oklahoma Nero Coin

On September 24, 1976 an ancient coin was found in my hometown of Heavener, Oklahoma by Wilbert Stewart. Imperfectly round, a little smaller than a quarter, the coin appeared to have a Roman profile and a Greek inscription on the obverse. The reverse showed an eagle holding a thunderbolt, a palm branch, and two inscriptions (Fig 11-1).

Read more here. great work from her. Old World Records in Ancient America

[edit on 27-12-2007 by IvanZana]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have never understood why people give Christopher Columbus credit for the discovery of America when the evidence shows the Norse and the Chinese were here way before Christopher Columbus was even born… Not to mention the Native Americans were also here way before Christopher Columbus even set sail… As sad as it is for me to say I do believe Sleepy_wns is right about the color of the skin comment …

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This whole thing that Christopher Columbus is given "credit" for discovering the America's is complete rubbish. I was in grade school in the 1970's and as far back as then standard elementary history textbooks had information on the Viking exploration of the north east coast of Canada and possibly areas of the United States.

Columbus is given credit not so much for "discovering" the America's as he is given credit for "opening up" the America's for European colonization and trade. As well as setting up the first permanent settlement of Europeans. That is of itself a grand accomplishment that of itself deserves recognition.

Besides, Columbus himself didn't believe he discovered the "Americas". He believed he had discovered islands in the "Indies". Which is also why there are American Indians even though they are genetically closer to Oriental people.

The real reason many of you get "angry" that he is celebrated is that you have bought into a social thought caste that only allows you to see Europeans as evil people while all other stock of humanity roamed around in a Rousseau invented fantasy land where being a "barbarian" meant you were closer to nature and therefore closer to God and therefore more "pure" when all academic and realistic archeology and historical inventory shows that nothing could be further from the truth.

Keep LONGING for the collapse of civilization and some day you may get what you want. Be very careful what you ask for.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I thought that the only absolute proof of pre-Columbian visitors were for the Vikings, who left several sites in eastern Canada that are indisputable. I don't deny that the Chinese or others could have made it, but I'm not aware of any hard proof of it. Interestingly, I remember hearing somewhere that the reason Columbus was so sure he would find land was because he had read it in a book, which makes me wonder 1) who wrote that book and 2) if my memory is actually any good here!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by berbalang

Given that Columbus' first actions when founding those colonies was to set tribes at war with each other and then enslave the survivors, mutilate women who wouldn't work, etc, I would indeed be tempted to say that "evil" is actually applicable to this case. Seeing as how the pattern he set continued right up to 1898 (and into the modern century in South America) I'm not so certain if your self-righteous ranting has much footing.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
A Chinese ship may have visited the Americas before Columbus, but I doubt that he visited and mapped Antarctica as well. No way does that map date from the 15th or 16th centuries, imo.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken they have found Chinese anchors off of the coast of California...

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't think the race difference would be issue, I think it's more like promoting the culture, not just "the white race". But meh, I dunno

[edit on 29-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
oh jeees berbalang!! i'm not pissed at all. this is about unpainted true
history. nobody is mad. we've taken the time to read.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleepy_wns

so.... Vikings wern't white? NEWS to me!

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by last time here
oh jeees berbalang!! i'm not pissed at all. this is about unpainted true
history. nobody is mad. we've taken the time to read.

last time here, mon ami, yer drunk.

Find the couch.

Be one with the couch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join