It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Signs $555 Billion Spending Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Bush Signs $555 Billion Spending Bill

www.examiner.com

President Bush, still voicing concern about special project spending by Congress, signed a $555 billion bill Wednesday that funds the Iraq war well into 2008 and keeps government agencies running through next September.

Bush's signed the massive spending bill as he flew on Air Force One to his Texas ranch here to see in the new year. His signature on the legislation caps a long-running fight with the Democratic-run Congress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Insanity, pure insanity..

With all that is going on, this money could be used elsewhere.

And Bush is quoted as saying that he intends to rein in government spending, keep taxes low and get a balanced budget.

How on Earth does spending on an illegal war bring about these changes?

I cannot fathom this one out, perhaps others with more of a financial grab on things can work this out.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Is that just 555 billion just for the wars, or for the whole defense budget? What is the comparison with spending on everything else? I just saw japan approved a 728 billion budget for their whole country, how does that compare?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They'll keep on signing away too, it's only borrowed money that they'll never pay back * . They can't stop now.. they need the Iraqi's to sign the hydrocarbon law or else the whole invasion was for nothing . One of those 'benchmarks' they put half way down the list , but one of the crucial reasons for invading Iraq in the first place. Do they tell you in the US media they want 75-80% of the revenues of Iraqi oil with no requirement to re invest that back in iraq?, I bet they just mention failure of the Iraqi's to agree how to share their paltry but unspecified 20% between their uncompromising unagreeable factions.

*Never fully, but you know they spend 4 times the amount per year on foreign debt interest repayments in the USA than they do on education ?. That statistic tells its own story really.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Main reason for Irag invasion was the opening up of the whole country to radical free-market capitalism with the oil being a part of this.
Going back to topic 555 billion dollars is a ridiculous amount of money. But waht can you do>? As long as they insist on continuing the occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq your tropps need to be supplied.

Remember alot of the contracts given out to private companies will not be included in this bill. And alot of them do a # job!

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
is this on top of the 70 billion they just approved like um a week ago.

im not finance expert but GD 70 billion in a week seems quite excessive.

what are they buying Golden underwear?

We are in a recession the country is goin broke now another 625 billion wow we are so screwed.

im adding the 70 bil from 2 weeks ago for war funds.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Sometimes it is a good idea to read the WHOLE article before making rash judgements. Only 70 Billion is going to Iraq and Afghanistan.

also from www.examiner.com...

Bush, who had used his veto power to remain relevant in the debate with Democrats on national spending priorities, had agreed to sign the spending measure, which includes $70 billion for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, after winning concessions on Iraq and other budget items. The bill bankrolls 14 Cabinet departments and federal agencies and funds foreign aid for the budget year that began on Oct. 1.

Too bad Bush doesn't have a Line Item Veto. Just think of all the wasteful spending that could have been stopped.

A Bush spokesman, Scott Stanzel, had told reporters en route to Texas earlier that the president remained concerned about "Congress' addiction to earmarks."

"I am disappointed in the way the Congress compiled this legislation, including abandoning the goal I set early this year to reduce the number and cost of earmarks by half," the president said in a statement. "Instead, the Congress dropped into the bill nearly 9,800 earmarks that total more than $10 billion. These projects are not funded through a merit-based process and provide a vehicle for wasteful government spending."

Conservatives and outside watchdog groups criticized the bill for having about $28 billion in domestic spending that topped Bush's budget and was paid for by a combination of "emergency" spending, transfers from the defense budget and other maneuvers.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Jeez $555 billion he could have tons of bretzel, so sad.

Go ahead Georgie ask the US taxpayer some more, i like that!

Georgie is gonna be my hero i tell you all, slowly but surely the boat is slippin' through the depths of the ocean.GO AHEAD , don't stop!Sweep them all(and yourself with!)
He's sweeping America empire all by himself(4-0 no kidding lol), now that's my man.
Georgie you call me whenever you want, i got some ideas for you to speed up all that , aight€ ?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Topic already being discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The above link references the senate passing the bill, and this thread acknowledges Bush signing it... shouldn't we keep this all in the original thread?

[edit on 12/26/2007 by damajikninja]

new topics

top topics

join